Autopsy Round 14, 2021: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? No I said Draper had 9 clearances, not your mids. Your ruckman. He provided the dominance.
For mine, JOM was the dominant midfielder on the ground. Mitchell had 14 in the 2nd quarter too.
Your mids were off. Draper got you over the line. Just.

Does a ruckman not play in the midfield?

What about Stringer? He was in just about every centre bounce and was clearly the best player on the ground.

Parish and Merrett may have seemed “off” as they didn’t have the large numbers of previous weeks but still quite effective, Parish still had equal the amount of clearances Mitchell and O’Meara.

Essendon clearly won the midfield battle, pretty much every Hawthorn post I’ve seen on here is saying it also, except you.

We actually had a few more if you want to be technical about it.

Draper was smashing us and you guys were dangerous out of the middle.

But its hypothetical to say if we kicked another few goals instead of behinds that you guys just would have responded out of clearance.

The cleaner better team won on the day .

It was 24 shot each.

Does a ruckman not play in the midfield?

What about Stringer? He was in just about every centre bounce and was clearly the best player on the ground.

Parish and Merrett may have seemed “off” as they didn’t have the large numbers of previous weeks but still quite effective, Parish still had equal the amount of clearances Mitchell and O’Meara.

Essendon clearly won the midfield battle, pretty much every Hawthorn post I’ve seen on here is saying it also, except you.
Can you read English???!!!
I said you won the battle due to Draper's dominance. How is that hard to understand?? Your ruckman, not your mids. Call him a midfielder if you want, but I'm segregating the ruck dual here.

New week, new opposition, same story. Our mids don’t bat deep enough. Our rucks battle hard but cant break even. As the game went on younger guys go missing and any sense of composure goes out the window. See Cousins kicking in the last. Endeavour for the most part can’t be faulted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearance work, accuracy in front of goal and Stringer proved to be the difference.

Mitchell, JOM, Bruest and Kozzie can hold heads up pretty high.

Ruck and big body midfielder is an area that has hurt us for a while now. I'm hopeful that when Newcombe develops he can at least stop the big midfielder. I've watched Reeves mostly at Box Hill and he is very hard to dominate in taps. Think we will be ok in this area soon.

It was slightly gaulling to see Stringer dominate, especially when we had an obvious answer - Howe to tag him. I don't think winning the match was the number one priority. Not saying we tried to lose, not at all. Just let things run naturally a bit more than we would in a year we were hoping to play finals.

I'm a ex tasmania ,I was absolutely disgusted in the following of the Hawks yesterday,it was appalling...

I was surprised. Fine that there were a few bomber supporters there, but to dominate the crowd noise like they did, come on! ;-)

His ruck work was poor. He got dominated in the middle, Draper was giving them clean service out of the middle and was then also following up on the ground.
Agree not sure how people can defend his ruckwork. He would have to be the worst at tapping the ball to advantage.

And unlike last week he his follow up work was very poor this week. He let Draper bully him. Cegs to play next week to protect Reeves from that grub mummy and then I can’t see Cegs back in unless there is injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s funny that as frustrating as it is watching us completely fail in the middle most weeks I’m pretty excited about what this side is going to be doing in 12 months time when you look at what is sitting in the stands and/or challenging for spots at Box Hill, and that we’ll add Pick 2 at a minimum.

Sic, Gunners, DGB, Reeves, Saunders, Jeka, Downie, Kent....if they’re all fit and firing in 2022 in addition to what’s already out there, we’re going to be very fun to watch.
And Finn Maginness

I may be in the minority but I was pretty happy with the performance yesterday. I think Essendon are a lot better than their record suggest and they have a lot of promising players. With better kicking, we could have won it. It was a much better showing than some of our other games this year (e.g. the StKilda, West Coast, Gold Coast losses).

For those questioning the crowd yesterday, think of Liverpool V Melbourne Victory in 2013. 95,000 fans at the G and about 94,500 Liverpool fans. It's all about making the most of an opportunity you may never get again! We've always had an apathetic supporter base so what did you expect?

Blind Freddy could see we were undersized in the backline on Friday when the teams were announced.

Seriously, how could the games greatest coach not see this.....or did he?

One thing is for sure, if DGB is as good as we hope, the ground work done on our backline in 2021 will set the Hawks up for years to come.

Hawthorn have under Clarkson been okay with going into a game with an undersized defence and backed the structure in to get the victory. Didn't happen yesterday. It isn't the first time Hawthorn has sacrificed height in the backline for an advantage elsewhere on the ground (which didn't materialise as Clarkson would have wanted). Won't stop the Hawks doing the same again if the strategy calls for it.

Stringer absolutely destroyed us.
That Jones is a freak.
Draper BOG. That was the ball game.

Jai was overawed.
Shaun is done.

Thought Mitchell fought hard.
Breust fantastic but should've kicked the last one.
Impay, Scrim, CJ were awesome all day.

Fingers crossed for CJ. Was it a hammy???

CJ was grabbing at the hammy at qtr time.

Hawthorn have under Clarkson been okay with going into a game with an undersized defence and backed the structure in to get the victory. Didn't happen yesterday. It isn't the first time Hawthorn has sacrificed height in the backline for an advantage elsewhere on the ground (which didn't materialise as Clarkson would have wanted). Won't stop the Hawks doing the same again if the strategy calls for it.
Yes I'm not worried about the backline. We kick those 4 very gettable ones and we win.
38 to 23 hitouts to us and lose clearances 42 - 29. Impey,CJ,Scrimmers & Hardwick,the backline was our best part of the ground yesterday.

I seem to recall Hodgey playing CHB against Jono Brown at the Gabba many moons ago if I am correct.

It’s funny that as frustrating as it is watching us completely fail in the middle most weeks I’m pretty excited about what this side is going to be doing in 12 months time when you look at what is sitting in the stands and/or challenging for spots at Box Hill, and that we’ll add Pick 2 at a minimum.

Sic, Gunners, DGB, Reeves, Saunders, Jeka, Downie, Kent....if they’re all fit and firing in 2022 in addition to what’s already out there, we’re going to be very fun to watch.
We are 17th with a percentage under 80. We’re a lot further away than you make out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back