Not open for further replies.

Sleutheren

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
So I just watched the tackle that has seen Worpel suspended. I watched the game live but couldn't for the life of me think of when he applied a 'dangerous' tackle...

I wish I hadn't because now I'm furious. If this is the way forward, they need to change both the tackling and holding the ball rules. ******* idiots.

SpanishBrowne

Senior List
Feb 27, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On the Reeves/Ceglar dilemma.. would it be crazy to give Big Boy a rest (not form related, just a break and gives us an opportunity to see what a different combination looks like. Plus he can still do captain-y stuff from the bench)

Then Cegs is rewarded for a great game (and we can see if he backs it up), and Reeves gets more AFL time into him?

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On the Reeves/Ceglar dilemma.. would it be crazy to give Big Boy a rest (not form related, just a break and gives us an opportunity to see what a different combination looks like. Plus he can still do captain-y stuff from the bench)

Then Cegs is rewarded for a great game (and we can see if he backs it up), and Reeves gets more AFL time into him?
We just had a bye. He had a rest. Plus he's doing way less of the ruckwork. May be able to extend his career as a result. Love his work as a key fwd.

Dlm888

Rookie
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My son played with the ladder predictor a week or so ago, and had every team ending on 11 wins with Hawthorn on top.
Since he did that, I think every single result has gone exactly as he entered it (aside from margins).

I did a ladder predictor that has us a game clear in 8th after round 18. Just need Richmond to fall of a cliff...
WLD%
1.Western Bulldogs1430149.0%
2.Melbourne1430134.9%
3.Geelong1340134.0%
4.Brisbane Lions1340133.7%
5.Port Adelaide1160115.8%
6.West Coast1160113.2%
7.Sydney89099.0%
8.Hawthorn89089.5%
9.GWS79192.6%
10.Richmond710097.2%
11.Collingwood710096.7%
12.Fremantle710089.3%
13.Essendon611094.9%
14.Carlton611090.5%
15.Gold Coast611087.5%
16.St Kilda611078.0%
17.Adelaide512081.6%
18.North M

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
11 clearances or something obscene as well, wasn't it?
Honestly big Cegs played like a man possessed on the weekend.

I have never seen a ruck follow up ground balls like he did, it was super impressive.

I have always been a big wrap for Jon so I am really hoping he can string together a solid 2nd half of the year.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Back surgery at any age especially when nearly 30 is diabolical, I for one am not shocked we've only seen him once thus far this season.
I had a severe back injury in 2003 that required surgery and a year off work. Now, almost 20 years laster, it's still not right, and never wil be. It can only be managed. Granted, I certainly don't have the round the clock attention and rehab he'd have, but backs are dodgy things when they're not right.

So no Melbournians allowed to go to Tassie until Monday at the earliest.
That's crap from the Tas Govt with our game on as well as Dark Mofo in Hobart.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Seems that way but we have been COVID free for nearly 12 months. It is like it does not exist down here apart from (Covid) limiting the ability to visit friends and family interstate. We have been blessed compared to other states and countries. Some businesses have felt the pinch while others have reported running at close to 80% income. Driven by locals travelling more.

Having worked in the COVID operations centre here and having seen the hours senior Politicians, Police, Health officials, DPIWE etc have put in during the ''oubreak' here I would brace for a hard line. View anything else as a bonus imo.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It will be interesting who comes in for Morrison and Worpel this week.

I really liked the change in balance of our side last week, an extra midfielder and only one of a Big Boy or Lewis type in the forward 50. The resulting pressure scoring and contested ball numbers reflected this shift. I'd be disappointed if we go away from it this week.

With that said, Big Boy becomes and interesting case. His past two games forward have been really strong. But playing this role keeps Lewis out.

With Ceglar keeping Reeves out (neither has a natural forward craft), Big Boy keeping Lewis out and O'Brien keeping Jeka out (roaming tall) it isn't ideal in a rebuild... Perhaps now is the opportunity to go back to Jeka, even though O'Brien was OK.

If we are going to play our skipper deep forward this year and next, Lewis should be really nervous.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It will be interesting who comes in for Morrison and Worpel this week.

I really liked the change in balance of our side last week, an extra midfielder and only one of a Big Boy or Lewis type in the forward 50. The resulting pressure scoring and contested ball numbers reflected this shift. I'd be disappointed if we go away from it this week.

With that said, Big Boy becomes and interesting case. His past two games forward have been really strong. But playing this role keeps Lewis out.

With Ceglar keeping Reeves out (neither has a natural forward craft), Big Boy keeping Lewis out and O'Brien keeping Jeka out (roaming tall) it isn't ideal in a rebuild... Perhaps now is the opportunity to go back to Jeka, even though O'Brien was OK.

If we are going to play our skipper deep forward this year and next, Lewis should be really nervous.
What are Essendons tall forwards like? I really liked the look of our mobile backline last week and I said in the pregame thread we were a big show because it was on paper the least top heavy side we have played all year. I think frost goes to Hooker but then who plays on the tall skinny kid for them? Scrim?
I think there is a chance to see TO moved back but more likely they keep to the same structure of frost on the one big tall and day, scrim, burgoyne chopping out on the other talls but murdering them on the rebound.
Will be an interesting week at selection.
My guess is
In: Bramble and cousins
Out: worpel morrison

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are Essendons tall forwards like? I really liked the look of our mobile backline last week and I said in the pregame thread we were a big show because it was on paper the least top heavy side we have played all year. I think frost goes to Hooker but then who plays on the tall skinny kid for them? Scrim?
I think there is a chance to see TO moved back but more likely they keep to the same structure of frost on the one big tall and day, scrim, burgoyne chopping out on the other talls but murdering them on the rebound.
Will be an interesting week at selection.
My guess is
In: Bramble and cousins
Out: worpel morrison

We played a spare man in the backline last week, pretty sure it was Day given the amount of contests he spoiled (what a gun), which allowed CJ to become ultra attacking. I think we will continue with this, which like you said, means we were able to go smaller in the back half.

I think you're right about O'Brien but, it's his flexibility that probably has him ahead of Jeka. But I don't love seeing Big Boy and O'Brien in the forward 50 if it means both Lewis and Jeka are at Box Hill... I'd love to see Jeka back up at the level, especially with Big Boy (not Lewis) deep and Kosi seemingly much more confident.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We played a spare man in the backline last week, pretty sure it was Day given the amount of contests he spoiled (what a gun), which allowed CJ to become ultra attacking. I think we will continue with this, which like you said, means we were able to go smaller in the back half.

I think you're right about O'Brien but, it's his flexibility that probably has him ahead of Jeka. But I don't love seeing Big Boy and O'Brien in the forward 50 if it means both Lewis and Jeka are in the magoos...
Better pressure across the field too. Lots of space at launy

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
If the Tassie supporters can't fill a stadium against Essendon, albeit in this time slot, they shouldn't be having their own team.

Opposing view, it may show that they are sick of FIFO teams and won't be filling out stadiums until the Tassie Devils enter the competition.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

If our government wouldn't allow the game at the G have any fans, you can kind of see why the Tas Government won't allow any of us to fly over.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I did a ladder predictor that has us a game clear in 8th after round 18. Just need Richmond to fall of a cliff...
WLD%
1.Western Bulldogs1430149.0%
2.Melbourne1430134.9%
3.Geelong1340134.0%
4.Brisbane Lions1340133.7%
5.Port Adelaide1160115.8%
6.West Coast1160113.2%
7.Sydney89099.0%
8.Hawthorn89089.5%
9.GWS79192.6%
10.Richmond710097.2%
11.Collingwood710096.7%
12.Fremantle710089.3%
13.Essendon611094.9%
14.Carlton611090.5%
15.Gold Coast611087.5%
16.St Kilda611078.0%
17.Adelaide512081.6%
18.North M

Better off taking that ladder predictor nonsense to Bay 13 if I'm being honest.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saunders and Callow in for Morrison & Worpel.
Chad in the center rotating with the usual suspects, think we could overwhelm the Bombres out of the middle if we bring the right attitude.
Callow up forward, TOB can roam the ground as an extra marking option, Saunders get his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back