Review Round 14, 2021 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

REH Can i ask where you get these stats from??

The AFL Player Ratings are from their twitter account. Just find the relevant game

The AFL website look at the Stats dropbox, and there is the AFL Pro Stats, click on that and then click on the Stats Option on right hand side to pick up to 10 categories you can compare at once of about 55 categories.

I choose last round for individual games eg when I put up the ruck contests attended stats with the CD Tables I post every week, but you can see current season and career stats.

Last edited:
We have won and lost 6 last quarters and drawn 1.

There's a problem with never putting our foot on the opposition's throat.

The most charitable take on our season thus far is that we've had a bad run with injuries, but have built the whole season around hitting our straps come finals (like Richmond have for the last couple of years).

Realistically, that strategy still requires us to make top 4, and a few serious percentage boosting wins (and wringing more percentage out of them by playing four quarters) is arguably pretty important if we're going to drop games against the teams we're fighting for a top four spot, like Geelong and Brisbane and Footscray. Feasting on North and the Saints has effectively been worth an extra win for the Dogs.

Makes it tough not to regard our fourth quarters against North, Essendon, Carlton, and GC as wasted opportunities.

Honestly?

The season is playing out in an identical fashion to 2017, except this time round Boak, Gray, Dixon, Hartlett, Jonas, Ryder, Wingard, Ebert & Westhoff don’t have a handful of re-rolls up their sleeve.

We can talk about being in it to win it, and clicking at the right time, and getting this player and that player back — and that’s all a possibility — but the incredulous bafflement that many here have long memories replete with a decade-plus of emotional scars guiding their takes in the aftermath of a patchy performance against a horrendous also-ran, is equally baffling.
Really? In 2017, at this same point Port were sitting on 7 wins/6 losses, and then proceeded to win 7 of the next 9 games, ending on a 14/8 win/loss record. Then lost to the Eagles in an elimination by 2 points.

We continue to be smacked by injuries which doesnt help at all, but if we have the same finish as 2017, then will end the year on 16 wins/6 losses. The minor Premier and Grand Final loser, Adelaide, finished with 15 wins/6 losses/ 1 draw. In most years that nets you a top two position.

With the injury crap sandwich Port have had this year, if we go identical to 2017 from here, then I am happy to strip & run naked down Rundle Mall.

Could I just say, I agree with many of the posters here in that this was an uninspiring win ... lose, draw, or win by 9 points or 90 points, there was never going to be much to be gained from this, other than 4 points a a bit of percentage.

So IMO a 50 point win fits into the "OK, we did what we had to do" bracket. There were many more opportunities to score, and their first two goals were scored directly from turnovers. One of them should have been a Port goal, but for the silly SPP freekick turnaround.

So I entered this game looking to see areas we improved on and any team positives... and there were many.

Motlop - was incredible. That was his best 4qtr game he has played. He has played more flashy roles & scored more goals, but his fitness and running is elite now, and we should see dividends from it
Drew - Best game for Port to date. I have been a doubter, but continuing to get games into him is now seeing serious benefits.
Wines - 'Nuf said. Just AA elite standard.
Rozee - That is so exciting to see him gaining back his confidence & looking all of the star we know he can be
AA - That was such a better game from him. Just monstered their forwards.
Backline - Keep this up. Just a great effort in nullifying anything that GC had

Some nice signs from Amon & Houston and a few others. In the end, I am happy with the win and 4 points and the above positives.

PS ... Devil's advocate here, but it was a very warm day up here. I had to go out at half time to meet someone, and it was damned warm for this time of year, and I thought of the boys playing AFL in that. Not surprised to see the boys puffing a bit in the end & coasting in the last qtr. With two guys on the bench injured there really was no point in pushing energy levels for not much gain.

Last edited:
Really? In 2017…

Yeah, really.

Except in 2017 we crushed teams below us and were unable to beat contenders.

The only glaring difference is this year’s draw is softer than baby turds and we’ll end up on 16 wins with our only win against anyone good being the Richmond victory.

“Identical to 2017” from here would be:

Sydney - Loss
Hawthorn- Win
Melbourne - Loss
St Kilda - Win
Collingwood- Win
GWS - Win
Adelaide - Win
Carlton - Win
Bulldogs - Loss

15-7

Sydney (H) ✅
Hawthorn (A) ✅
Melbourne (H) ❌
St Kilda (A) ✅
Collingwood (H) ✅
GWS (A) ↔
Adelaide (A) ✅
Carlton (H) ✅
Bulldogs (A) ❌

15-7 or 16-6, even without any marked improvement from here.

Mind you, I still think we beat Sydney and lose to Melbourne and the Dogs, going 16-6.

Yeah, or it’ll be one of those things where we upset Melbourne (yay!) and then inexplicably drop what looks like a rock solid W in the proceeding weeks.

Top of the table has inconceivably lost to Adelaide and Collingwood and are historically flaky

The best team in it, WB, are 1-2 against the rest of the 4, so havent competed well against the contenders.

Brisbane, who’ve looked great at times, are 0-3 against the rest of the top 4.

Richmond are 1-6 to teams inside the 8

West Coast are 0-2 against top 4 teams and are flaky outside of Perth

We are right in this premiership race. Right in it. Noone has stood out. If we are miles off, so is everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top of the table has inconceivably lost to Adelaide and Collingwood and are historically flaky

The best team in it, WB, are 1-2 against the rest of the 4, so havent competed well against the contenders.

Brisbane, who’ve looked great at times, are 0-3 against the rest of the top 4.

Richmond are 1-6 to teams inside the 8

West Coast are 0-2 against top 4 teams and are flaky outside of Perth

We are right in this premiership race. Right in it. Noone has stood out. If we are miles off, so is everyone else.

F1F98142-2E45-43F7-B5A6-E4A6CF3AA79F.jpeg

Yeah, really.

Except in 2017 we crushed teams below us and were unable to beat contenders.

The only glaring difference is this year’s draw is softer than baby turds and we’ll end up on 16 wins with our only win against anyone good being the Richmond victory.
Yeah? Nah! Get into the top 4 with some of our players back from injury ... and its game on, anything is possible.

People here have to stop whining & get behind the team. How can we expect the players to back themselves if we dont!

Yeah? Nah! Get into the top 4 with some of our players back from injury ... and its game on, anything is possible.

People here have to stop whining & get behind the team. How can we expect the players to back themselves if we dont!

They don't care what bigfooty thinks , we support them game day , that's all that matters

I dont care if we put the cue in the rack at 3/4 time. The rest of the season is a means to an end. All that matters is finals
This has been my thinking since the bulldogs game. We’re gonna coast through to finals banking as many wins as we can and it doesn’t matter where or how many finals we play, it just matters if we show up or not. Our best is good enough. But if we aren’t capable of delivering that in finals, results like today’s aren’t worth a root in a whorehouse

Reading Rucci’s puff piece today. I wonder if there was a connection in our not scoring but leveling the clearances that they were winning significantly?

They don't care what bigfooty thinks , we support them game day , that's all that matters
Not sure about that. Bigfooty is significant microcosm of the entire club, with some fairly influential members. Its followed & read by many AFL players, reporters, and club officials. As we have seen from the meetings with club officials, the views here are taken seriously.

That being said, sure we can voice our disapproval of things, our dislike of decisions, our questioning of certain appointments, etc. As members we have that right, and this forum is the perfect platform. But the incessant negative whining after a decent win, with zero input regarding positives, starts to grate after a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back