Game Day Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich, Zorko, Gunston - have to admit those 3 names I expected to come up at the end of the season when we talked about retirements and list changes.

So it's a bit of - Generation Next

Most pressure tonight is on Neale and Dunkley they simply have to show leadership in the middle, win first ball and get us moving. Just like the Lion King when they hold up the little cub to the world - "it is time".

Rayner, Bailey, Wilmont, McKenna and McCarthy need to get swept up in this and find a higher gear.

Payne's very first match for the Lions in his draft year was a scratch match against the Swans at Burpengary and he threw Buddy Franklin on his back and held him out of it all match. Have loved the kid since then, love you too Buddy but not tonight - a bit more Payne for you.

Loman you had a little taste, Fletcher we hope your a long time player like your dad - play well kids we wont judge you harshly on this match.

Rich, Zorko, Gunston - have to admit those 3 names I expected to come up at the end of the season when we talked about retirements and list changes.

So it's a bit of - Generation Next

Most pressure tonight is on Neale and Dunkley they simply have to show leadership in the middle, win first ball and get us moving. Just like the Lion King when they hold up the little cub to the world - "it is time".

Rayner, Bailey, Wilmont, McKenna and McCarthy need to get swept up in this and find a higher gear.

Payne's very first match for the Lions in his draft year was a scratch match against the Swans at Burpengary and he threw Buddy Franklin on his back and held him out of it all match. Have loved the kid since then, love you too Buddy but not tonight - a bit more Payne for you.

Loman you had a little taste, Fletcher we hope your a long time player like your dad - play well kids we wont judge you harshly on this match.
Eeexcept Buddy is not playing.

We are back to our ‘Best 22’ defensive unit, of:
Starcevich Payne Lester
McKenna Andrews Coleman
so we know going in knowing that Sydney are not going to kick a score.

Brisbane on the other hand should be flying with the inclusion of Fort up forward. McInerney and Fort are two underrated and highly capable footballers and having one of those guys ‘resting’ in the goal square will straighten us up. It should also give Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey some serious ball to crumb. Daniher and Hipwood need to take turns getting on the long leads, one up one back.

Robertson was one of the few players who gave a yelp against Hawthorn and I’m expecting him to be super fired up. Having Fletcher and Lohmann will be good for him too. Super excited with Fletcher and Lohmann in the team. Adds an X-Factor. Might also help Rayner, who can be King of the Kids. Need big games from Neale, Dunkley and Ashcroft. They have to get us going out of the middle. All eyes on Berry too. If he can’t turn his form around he should be replaced in the team against St.Kilda. With the selection changes this week, this is the first team for a while where we look like we have no passengers.

Collingwood have shown what can happen when players are enjoying their football. Wilmot, Fletcher, Lohman and Ashcroft are kids who will play with excitement. Our more established players should feed off that. From a morale perspective, having Gunston and Rich out means the biorhythms are up. Expecting lots of youthful energy.

Lyons as the Sub would be a smart move, especially as I think we will need him in the side against St.Kilda.

Lions by lots.

Last edited:
You know what the sad part is?

Fagan and the selection panel are soft, and even the players know it. As mature as the decision from Gunners and Rich is (presuming what we've been told is true, and if they were actually dropped I don't know why the club would be too gutless to just say it), it should be the club that's dropping them, not themselves.

This has been an issue for the last few years, they continue to back the same core players every week never dropping anyone of significance and just rotating the fringe players around.

Also, what on earth has JL got to do to get a game?

On tonight's game, absolutely must win. No excuses.

Squiggle not a fan of our comparative outs.

Again it got the Hawks wrong - hopefully underestimated the scoreline in a Lions win!

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 86 - 67 Sydney
Sydney

Gabba (QLD)
HGA:
Brisbane Lions
+7.4 pts
Ins/Outs:
Sydney
+3.4 pts

GO LIONS!!!!

We are back to our ‘Best 22’ defensive unit, of:
Starcevich Payne Lester
McKenna Andrews Coleman
so we know going in knowing that Sydney are not going to kick a score.

Brisbane on the other hand should be flying with the inclusion of Fort up forward. McInerney and Fort are two underrated and highly capable footballers and having one of those guys ‘resting’ in the goal square will straighten us up. It should also give Cameron, Bailey and McCarthey some serious ball to crumb. Daniher and Hipwood need to take turns getting on the long leads, one up one back.

Robertson was one of the few players who gave a yelp against Hawthorn and I’m expecting him to be super fired up. Having Fletcher and Lohmann will be good for him too. Super excited with Fletcher and Lohmann in the team. Adds an X-Factor. Might also help Rayner, who can be King of the Kids. Need big games from Neale, Dunkley and Ashcroft. They have to get us going out of the middle. All eyes on Berry too. If he can’t turn his form around he should be replaced in the team against St.Kilda. With the selection changes this week, this is the first team for a while where we look like we have no passengers.

Collingwood have shown what can happen when players are enjoying their football. Wilmot, Fletcher, Lohman and Ashcroft are kids who will play with excitement. Our more established players should feed off that. From a morale perspective, having Gunston and Rich out means the biorhythms are up. Expecting lots of youthful energy.

Lyons as the Sub would be a smart move, especially as I think we will need him in the side against St.Kilda.

Lions by lots.

We might win the 2023 premiership tonight with these changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going to have a minor pout - I hate 7.50pm bouncedowns, gee willikers why so late, should be 7.20pm at the latest IMO.:shoutyoldman:

GO LIONS!
dangerous-roar-lion-1k3izj12x2h6nlfu.gif

Yeah but even if they started at 720 you’d only get to watch 10min before your bed time!

"That's it guys, cancel the rest of the season - winner takes all at the Gabba tonight!"

I'm now amusing myself by the circumstances that could result in that. Maybe 16 clubs found rorting the salary cap or something?

My first post here, taking my nephews to their first ever Lions game tonight they are pumped! Let’s get it Lions!!

Long time lurker here just thought I’d add my piece on the Gunston/Rich saga. I was actually pretty shocked from the response here, everyone was calling for their heads and when it happened a lot of users had a meltdown.

I honestly don’t think we heard the full story and I think it would be pretty naive to think they just walked in to fages office and stepped down. I’m guessing we don’t know the full story and there were some prior conversations amongst the staffing/ leadership group that ultimately led to this decision.

Last edited:
I agree. If this team clicks, it is all upside. We do need to work McCluggage back in on the wing and Lyons coming in is a must come finals time.

Not about the game directly, but why are three of the "dunkees" nrl players and only one AFL player (Robbo)?!
It's almost like the club want to keep reminding Brisbaneites that the other code exists and for them to spend their supporter dollars on them too. Weird af

Not about the game directly, but why are three of the "dunkees" nrl players and only one AFL player (Robbo)?!
It's almost like the club want to keep reminding Brisbaneites that the other code exists and for them to spend their supporter dollars on them too. Weird af
100%. I said much the same yesterday, why not 3 x Lions players eg. Aker, Browny, Notting. For such a great cause I am sure they could have found 3 to step up.

Strange IMO.

Didn't Charlie toss a coin at a recent NRL game?

I don't think anyone is turning away from the AFL because of this

100%. I said much the same yesterday, why not 3 x Lions players eg. Aker, Browny, Notting. For such a great cause I am sure they could have found 3 to step up.

Strange IMO.

Why stop there? Maybe Harry Styles, Lizzo and Donald Trump could do it

Do you really not think the club tried to get more former players?

Why stop there? Maybe Harry Styles, Lizzo and Donald Trump could do it

Do you really not think the club tried to get more former players?
I don't see it as a huge issue, as I said in my post just a bit strange.

NRL is a direct competitor to the AFL.

I don't think Trump would be a popular dunkee, Brisbane is not Maga country... although I would like to make the Lions great again.

I don't see it as a huge issue, as I said in my post just a bit strange.

NRL is a direct competitor to the AFL.

I don't think Trump would be a popular dunkee, Brisbane is not Maga country... although I would like to make the Lions great again.

From where we've come from I was surprised any rugby players would have interest in being seen at a Lions game

From where we've come from I was surprised any rugby players would have interest in being seen at a Lions game
FWIW, there's a pretty good relationship between us and the Dolphins now, to the point Rich is now doing some coaching (assume kicking, not running) with us. He was over at Redcliffe a couple of Thursday's ago in full Dolphins kit on the ground in the warm up etc. Dolphins players have also been down at training and in the sheds after games quite a bit, so hopefully both clubs can help each other with respect to what the other is good at, as opposed to being direct competitors as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back