Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not convincing though it should have been. Still have questions over our ability to defend transition. Flooding the forward line to create a contest, winning possession then switching via handball or short kicks to open space then rebounding quickly seems to be really efficient way to counter our territory game. Hope we look at ways to rectify that as well as get a bit fitter.

Weird to have two third quarters of complete dominance for 1.9 then 3.8 within three games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty clunky game but dominated the second half after a week of changes and a heap of younger kids playing is a pretty good result.
Ashcroft, Jaspa, Wilmot, Lohmann, Dev, Kiddy and probably missed a couple others. The club is in a very good place going forward despite some performances this year.

Or waiting on Payne to come off

I feel that's what made us hold off on the sub for so long. Payne felt he could push through it, which he did despite being obviously hampered, but they didn't want to pull one of the rucks only to have Payne unable to continue leaving us a man down.

Happy with the win, especially after travelling to the MCG last Saturday to witness that disaster but honestly this doesn't install much confidence in me when we play back in Melbourne next week.

I'm the opposite way. I have more confidence in this team when it's a serious game or when we come up against an intimidating opponent this year. Saints at Marvel is a big game. I'm more confident than what I was for this game today.

Biggest positive was the performance of the young/inexperienced guys:

Ashcroft - 23 disposals (16 contested), 9 clearances, 4 tackles, 20 pressure acts
Wilmot - 19 disposals (7 intercept), 8 rebound 50s, 447m gained, 1 goal assist
Robertson - 15 disposals (7 contested), 1 goal, 1 goal assist
Lohmann - 14 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 19 pressure acts, 2 goal assists
Fletcher - 13 disposals (5 intercept), 2 clearances, 11 pressure acts, 1 goal (2 behinds)

All deserve to stay in the side.

Ashcroft - 23 disposals (16 contested), 9 clearances, 4 tackles, 20 pressure acts
Fletcher - 13 disposals (5 intercept), 2 clearances, 11 pressure acts, 1 goal (2 behinds)

All really impressive. Who makes way for Clugg? Fort? Can we give the two tall forward line a go?

2 big issues.
Our inability to lock the ball in our F50.
Our inability to get the ball out of the D50.
Ordinary game with the usual bomb it long game plan, just lucky Sydney aren’t much chop.

They were all the excellent

Back