Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of his ruck work seems to go to the opposition though. I'm not sure what the stats say but on TV at least it appears that way.
That was pretty evident on Friday night.

Especially when Fort went in to the ruck in the third, and started tapping the ball down to our players.

Then it felt like a momentum killer when Oscar went back in to the ruck.

No doubt they will, we will just need to be smarter with the way we deliver the ball into the forward line and do it quicker, Rather than waiting for them to flood before kicking high and long.
But with both Rayner and Lohmann in the forward line, they can both compete in the air.
I think we need to give it a go for a bit longer and for me, it is Fort who has to miss out to keep Lohmann in.
I think that Fletcher & Lohmann changed our structure in a positive way.
But obviously McCluggage and Zorko will come into the side if fit.
Maybe Zorko gets managed again and that opens one spot for either Fletcher or Lohmann.

Our worse forward was Cameron (but he stays in) then Fort then McCarthy.

I don't think Fagan will drop a tall forward (Fort). As this leaves us with only Hippy as a KPF when Jo rucks
But i do think Fullarton may be a chance. Fagan most likely stays with Fort.

Will they drop McCarthy for Lohmann this week i don't think they will.
Unfortunately for Lohmann, it looks like Zorko will come in for him if fit.

Berry stays on one wing and i think McCluggage takes the other at least initially.
If they retain Fletcher as wing relief that means Dev most likely misses out. I don't think that happens as Dev played very well.

Looks like they both may be in one week and out the next. But not because of form, just a little unlucky.

That was pretty evident on Friday night.

Especially when Fort went in to the ruck in the third, and started tapping the ball down to our players.

Then it felt like a momentum killer when Oscar went back in to the ruck.
Obviously 1 of the coaches thought differently.

With Oscar getting coaches votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of his ruck work seems to go to the opposition though. I'm not sure what the stats say but on TV at least it appears that way.
Team Clearances
Lions..: Center 14 Stoppage 34
Swans: Center 10 Stoppage 29

Ruck stats
Fort only had 3 CBA's of which he got 2 center clearances. Mostly against McLean
Oscar had 24 CBA's for 3 center clearances. Mostly against Hickey

PlayerHitoutsHitouts To AdvantageClearancesDisposalsMarksTacklesMeters GainedTOG %
Oscar4611 (24 %)8 183635681 %
Fort71 (14 %)381310970 %
Hickey345 (15 %)313002875 %
McLean10??0102113079%

Team Clearances
Lions..: Center 14 Stoppage 34
Swans: Center 10 Stoppage 29

Ruck stats
Fort only had 3 CBA's of which he got 2 center clearances. Mostly against McLean
Oscar had 24 CBA's for 3 center clearances. Mostly against Hickey

PlayerHitoutsHitouts To AdvantageClearancesDisposalsMarksTacklesMeters GainedTOG %
Oscar4611 (24 %)8183635681 %
Fort71 (14 %)381310970 %
Hickey345 (15 %)313002875 %
McLean10??0102113079%
One in every 4 hit outs to advantage is actually pretty good I would have thought.

Lester =
broken-record-with-blank-label.jpg
Really? Nah! You sure?
1687157097045.gif

interesting how oscar has become somewhat of a whipping boy on this board but is fairly consistently getting coaches votes
Agree, while O is not an elite ruckman he does a serviceable job, at least breaks even with his opposition ruckman on most occasions, good at ground level for a big man and takes some good contested marks... and busts his gut at every contest.

There are not many Max Gawn or Dean Cox type ruckmen around.

interesting how oscar has become somewhat of a whipping boy on this board but is fairly consistently getting coaches votes

4th time which isn't bad

But honestly he mostly gets votes for neutralising a better ruck. It's not like he's dominating the ruck, giving our mids silver service and influencing the play around the ground

4th time which isn't bad

But honestly he mostly gets votes for neutralising a better ruck. It's not like he's dominating the ruck, giving our mids silver service and influencing the play around the ground

To me Oscar is a good enough ruckman to win a flag. But that's more that he can contest and neutralise and occasionally clunk a mark.

Back