Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do go on a bit don’t I.
oldmanyellsatcloud.png

Missed a lot of goals, dropped a lot of marks which often led to transition goals the other way.

If a few more of those 50/50 moments go our way we win that game by 8 goals+.

Payne had a shocker but deserves some slack, being clearly hampered by foot or ankle injury.

Although he had an off night with his goal-kicking, I couldn't fault Hipwood's commitment and willingness to give a contest. He's looking more confident and less like an unco baby giraffe as the weeks go by.

Fort is interesting. Playing him forward early was weird and made our forward structure look clunky. If he's going to play, use him as second ruck and leave the forward work to the real forwards. I don't ascribe to the theory that Joe needs to play second ruck at the Centre square to get him "involved". Ther are plenty of other ways he can and does get involved

Those hating on Bailey early in the Gameday Thread must be wiping the egg off their collective faces. Had a great game , kicked a long bomb from outside 50 to virtually ice the game and provided lot's of run and carry through the centre of the ground.

We have an outstanding group of young guns in Ashcroft, Lohmann, Fletcher, Dev and Wilmott. Personally, I think we are long odds to win the Flag this year but if we can get a solid block of game into these guys, we can give it a real shake over the next 2-3 years.

Another tricky assignment against the Saints next week and a real 8 point game if ever there was one
I like Bailey's offensive game, but l am more interested in his defensive game and defensive running. I would say he is one of our laziest runners and chooses when to go and when not to.

I counted 4, maybe 5, goals directly attributable to Payne. Not bad for a fullback. Plus, and worse in my mind, was a distinct lack of old fashioned heart. Some might call it soft. I would.

The old axiom looks like Tarzan plays like Jane springs to mind.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I was wondering if the injury he was carrying could be attributed to a few of them, don't think i'd kick quite as well as normal if given a pain killing jab in my foot. Hope that's all it was as he'd been going really well until last night.

These lapses in Football IQ from Payne are costly and why we need Lester in the team. If Lester had coughed up as many goals, certain people on this board would be posting that Lester never play again.

To be fair a few of his turnovers were as a result of his ankle injury and misjudging the impact that would have on his kicking. He has been in great form for the most part and his lapses are nowhere near as frequent as they once were.

To be fair a few of his turnovers were as a result of his ankle injury and misjudging the impact that would have on his kicking. He has been in great form for the most part and his lapses are nowhere near as frequent as they once were.
I agree. Playing under duress impacts decision making.

Fwiiw I think Lester has earnt a permanent spot after I was a constant sceptic.

He saved us many times last night in situations most of the others would not have. Based on his agility and defensive strength he's a long way ahead of Dizzy on the form of recent games.
I used to day I would have a drink every time Lester got a kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs a rocket tbh. Sets a shocking example to the younger players.

I wonder if he did get a rocket at half time tbh. He was frustrating me more than anyone else on the ground at half time, with all the lazy cutesy sh!t he was trying to do (and had been doing for a few weeks now).

Credit to him completely cut it out of his game in the 3rd/4th, and what do you know looked whole lot better for it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tautology
noun
  1. the saying of the same thing twice over in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g. they arrived one after the other in succession).
    "there was also a lot of tautology: there's no need to say ‘return back to’"
Ploenastic does not mean exactly the same thing as a tautology. There is a sutle difference

2 plus 2 is four is a taulology while rigid and inflexible are not exactly the same.

My son who alerted me to this word prints out the AFL rules and refers to them during games.

If you yell out ball he often asks which part of the rule you are basing your claim on

Is there a way to filter out or prevent posts that have say, a certain word, maybe a players name in it for example showing on a feed?
Stopping short of blocking anyone of course. I do enjoy everyone’s posts.

It’ll shorten catching up and reading of threads by a quite a bit.

Fwiiw I think Lester has earnt a permanent spot after I was a constant sceptic.

He saved us many times last night in situations most of the others would not have. Based on his agility and defensive strength he's a long way ahead of Dizzy on the form of recent games.
1686982318978.jpeg

Who saw that breakaway speed by Ashcroft maybe in the 3rd at half back?
He does have a very good burst of speed, plus very quick hands, he also has an innate awareness of what is around him, he regularly in traffic will fire out what looks like a blind handball which usually lands in friendly hands... hard to believe he is a 1st year player.

With his renowned work ethic and willingness to learn he is only going to improve over the years to come.

He does have a very good burst of speed, plus very quick hands, he also has an innate awareness of what is around him, he regularly in traffic will fire out what looks like a blind handball which usually lands in friendly hands... hard to believe he is a 1st year player.

With his renowned work ethic and willingness to learn he is only going to improve over the years to come.

I'm sure it's even more noticeable live, but he is constantly providing an option that often gets ignored by the ball carrier. Part of that I'm sure is game plan related with the go long at all cost method.

In a side that utilised the handball more, he'd be averaging an extra 5+ disposals just from the extra handball receives he'd get.

Just watched the replay and the pleasing thing I took out of the rewatch was the performance of the youngsters, Coleman, Ashcroft, Robertson and Wilmot were very good, Fletcher and Lohmann showed some great glimpses.

Some of the work Ashcroft did was extremely impressive.

It took me by surprise. I was just debating with a mate weather 2 Ashcrofts might hurt us in mid balance - not much speed / strength / height in any obvious way

But that burst was so noticeable and impressive.

And he doesn’t really seem to get knocked off the ball, whilst being bloody courageous

Needs a fair bit of work on his kicking - lots of rushed kicks to nowhere. Too loopy. But he’s not a bad kick and will get better

And his hands and awareness are incredible

From the look of him Levi might be a tad taller and bigger?

It took me by surprise. I was just debating with a mate weather 2 Ashcrofts might hurt us in mid balance - not much speed / strength / height in any obvious way

But that burst was so noticeable and impressive.

And he doesn’t really seem to get knocked off the ball, whilst being bloody courageous

Needs a fair bit of work on his kicking - lots of rushed kicks to nowhere. Too loopy. But he’s not a bad kick and will get better

And his hands and awareness are incredible

From the look of him Levi might be a tad taller and bigger?
Levi has more burst power and speed in his game, compared Will.

Back