Review Round 14, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was good,I can see a lot of what you see.

Fagan was quick in his presser to remind a reporter that Dizz was also missing

Just something to keep in mind for you,mainly.

A fit Gardiner will be in like Flynn for Lester, nothing surer. Lester is a great back up but not best 22

A fit Gardiner will be in like Flynn for Lester, nothing surer. Lester is a great back up but not best 22
Based on the 2 matches Gardiner played vs the games Lester has played, can't agree. Gardiner at his best, sure, but I don't think we've seen that this year in A/VFL

2 weeks for a deliberate, jumping elbow to the face is soft as. Seems the only thing the AFL cares about is dump tackles right now.
Yes, that could of easily fractured Lester's jaw... would of then got a Andrew Gaff type length suspension.

They place more emphasis on the outcome than the action.

Lester is a tactically smarter player than Gardiner by a fair margin. In fact there are only a couple of wiser heads in the whole team than Lester. A critical thing in defence in the modern game is not just the execution but the positioning and reading of play. Lester understands and plans the right positions better than Gardiner in my opinion. Gardiner is physically better when he is fully fit but not by that much.

There was one Sydney goal where Lester tried to get someone to cover a loose player at a throw in near the goal while he covered the inside. The player, got there too late and Sydney kicked the goal. Lester looks wider than his own role and knows where players should be. He is one of the players who sees how things could pan out rather than be purely reactive. I see Gardiner as more limited in that regard. I am by no means suggesting he is useless, he has been a solid contributor for quite a while, just that it is a noticeable difference between the two.

Lester will make a good coach some day because he understands how strategy and game awareness can overcome physical or skill limitations.

The key word in any comparison between Gardiner and Lester is “fit”. I think it was a mistake to choose Gardiner over Lester against the Hawks. The fact that Gardiner didn’t last the match is a factor in my thinking.

I hope Gardiner is included in the mini preseason group and is not selected for the firsts till he has pulled up well from two or three VFL games. we are not doing Gardiner or the club any favours playing him “match” fit, rather than fully fit. He has two more years on his contract and will be no value if he is two games in three to four games out.

would live with Joyce being selected to replace an injured KPD until he is right to go.

want to be clear that I consider a fully fit Gardiner to be a best 22 AFL footballer. And I am really enjoying Lester’s late career blooming. Long may it last.

I love seeing the ball in McKenna's hands coming out of the back half.

I do wonder whether the coaches and his team mates have worked out what a weapon he can be.

Honestly with Rich out I'd be looking at getting the ball in his hands forward of centre as much as possible. He and Wilmot as the play makers and Coleman playing a more accountable role/using someone like Madden as a lock down defender is where I see us performing best off half back.

Lester is a tactically smarter player than Gardiner by a fair margin. In fact there are only a couple of wiser heads in the whole team than Lester. A critical thing in defence in the modern game is not just the execution but the positioning and reading of play. Lester understands and plans the right positions better than Gardiner in my opinion. Gardiner is physically better when he is fully fit but not by that much.

There was one Sydney goal where Lester tried to get someone to cover a loose player at a throw in near the goal while he covered the inside. The player, got there too late and Sydney kicked the goal. Lester looks wider than his own role and knows where players should be. He is one of the players who sees how things could pan out rather than be purely reactive. I see Gardiner as more limited in that regard. I am by no means suggesting he is useless, he has been a solid contributor for quite a while, just that it is a noticeable difference between the two.

Lester will make a good coach some day because he understands how strategy and game awareness can overcome physical or skill limitations.
Lester is courageous, has a super high football IQ and he is an elite ball user with a DE% of 84.88% (ranked second for club in 2023). Fagan recruited Hodge and Birchall, looking for a Backline General and we had one under our noses all the time. Lester is a respected leader at our club and I am delighted that more and more people are recognising his capacity to make a valuable contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the 2 matches Gardiner played vs the games Lester has played, can't agree. Gardiner at his best, sure, but I don't think we've seen that this year in A/VFL

Well my opinion is based on Darcy being fit and in form. Based on current form Lester is in front. You don't cop an elbow to the head if you're not playing very well

Lester is courageous, has a super high football IQ and he is an elite ball user with a DE% of 84.88% (ranked second for club in 2023). Fagan recruited Hodge and Birchall, looking for a Backline General and we had one under our noses all the time. Lester is a respected leader at our club and I am delighted that more and more people are recognising his capacity to make a valuable contribution.
You must seriously be a relative or an extremely close friend of Ryan... the post are never ending. I will say he has been playing well, but in all seriousness he is taking the third or fourth best forward with Starc usually taking the dangerous mid/small and Payne and Andrews taking the two big dogs.

Still Lester is doing his role and will get another extension for 2024.

You must seriously be a relative or an extremely close friend of Ryan... the post are never ending. I will say he has been playing well, but in all seriousness he is taking the third or fourth best forward with Starc usually taking the dangerous mid/small and Payne and Andrews taking the two big dogs.

Nah he just does this with the player he has as a favourite on the list. Nothing specific to Lester.

Nah he just does this with the player he has as a favourite on the list. Nothing specific to Lester.
And sometimes he'll pick a player he arbitrarily hates too.

Always very annoying when a poster randomly picks a player to obsess over

Six Things We Learned: Port's second wave demands respect

4) Brisbane's youngsters are worth the hype​

Over the past four-plus years of finals campaigns, Brisbane has stuck with a relatively settled, increasingly mature team. However, with a few injuries and the drop-off in form of veterans Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston, coach Chris Fagan wheeled out plenty of youth against the Swans on Friday night. In debutant Jaspa Fletcher, Will Ashcroft, Kai Lohmann and Darcy Wilmot, the Lions played four teenagers with a total of 29 games experience, and they did not disappoint. Ashcroft and Wilmot are regular, high-level contributors already, while Fletcher and Lohmann showed enough to suggest they will have long careers at the top level. With Hugh McCluggage (concussion) and Dayne Zorko (calf) likely to return against St Kilda on Friday night, the selection squeeze is on. But Fagan should now be secure in the knowledge he can play his youngsters to not just help them to gain experience, but to see them contribute to winning football in a top-four team. – Michael Whiting

Uncle Ryan.

Two there always are...
Star Wars Dogs GIF

Back