Preview Round 14 - BaDDle of the Double D's!!!: Demons vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's raining tomorrow... I know it's a winter sport, but it will probably be on the icy side rather than just cold and they charge a fortune for antifreeze at the stadium. On the plus side, my Hawks supporting wife will probably join me (I'm there for the footy, she'll be there on a date), so at least I can snuggle up for some warmth.

But it will be worth the frostbite to see Hogan kick 5 goals against May. I'll pay $20 to the starlight foundation if he doesn't kick a bag, saying that knowing that wet weather and talls aren't the perfect mix - maybe I should just make the donation now ;) Stuff it, why should starlight suffer misfortune if hogan is fortunate, $40 for a bag, the end of financial year is coming up folks, if you mean to donate to charity get it done now.

I'm not convinced we are good enough to be expecting to win these games. I certainly believe we can win, but I don't have quite enough confidence to go in thinking we are better than 50/50.

Same here, I don't quite trust them yet. We are right in most games but after the last 3 years it's hard to get too cocky.

Darcy just has to halve as many contests as possible. Doesn't have to win many, just stop Gawn sticking it down the Melbourne midfielders throats. We'll win if he can

Same here, I don't quite trust them yet. We are right in most games but after the last 3 years it's hard to get too cocky.

I think this hits the nail on the head. A team in rebuild mode has these kinds of games. If we're over the "hump" and trending up, we win this game. It would indicate we're ready to take the next step into finals. If we lose, its not the end of the world imo, but it means we still have work to do to be one of the competition's top teams. "Statement games" gets thrown around too much, but in some sense this game will be a good barometer of where we're at. We've won at the G before. Good teams beat bottom teams on the road. Simple as that.

If Darcy holds his own and we can exploit the Dees lack of pace with BHill, Landgon, and SHill on the outside, I think we win. I'm a little concerned about the weather. If it's a sloppy, contested game it could go either way.

I say Freo is close to winning these types of games. Hogan goes 2.2 and Freo wins an exhausting, contested, sloppy affair by 2pts.

We could be up by 50 points at half time, and still I would have doubts with the W....

Yeah, I would be stoked if we get the 4 points - but do not go putting any bets on because honestly, this is a 50\50 game.
I half expect Melbourne to start playing competitive footy. They are not out of form as they have played the Eagles, Giants, Crows and Magpies in the past 4. That is the top 5 minus Geelong. Nothing over 40 points, and only 2 points in it away to Adelaide.

In my opinion, this would be impossible to be confident in a tip as a neutral supporter. With purple glasses it is easy to say "Melbourne have been shite, Freo have been good - especially relative to predictions in team performance from the start of the year". Freo without Pearce and Lobbe away - that is big, as we have a host of players that play well at home, and sometimes just play crap away. We lost to the Crows away then the Tigers at home, then the Bombers away, then we snuck a win against the Lions, and the Magpies. The Power game was a convincing win.

What is my point. Form "means nothing". Ladder position does not mean a lot either.

I believe many on here are setting their sights on finals, even top 4. The truth is if we make even 8th on the ladder it would be a massive boost for our list. The reality is we are fighting for this position with many clubs. The way the ladder goes, IF we win tomorrow, we are looking good for that. If we lose, we are still in the hunt for 8th. I cannot see us pushing top 4.

All I do know is something has changed in the way we are playing the 4th quarters. Also we are always competitive. So I will be happy if we are competitive. This is not an easy game, I think the Eagles at home will be better matched to us this year. The main thing to our advantage is Lever and Hibberd out. Gartlett out is also a plus IMO, although his form has been average at best.

Not trying to be a killjoy, but with high expectations comes big disappointment. It is such an even competition, that I think we just need to respect the opposition no matter who they are, as a 5% difference in performance by both teams (one +ve one -ve), will, in most cases mean the difference in a win and a loss. I remember the outrage when we lost to the Suns. I heard the radio feedback last week from the Eagles and it was excruciating - so I turned it off, as I could not listen.

The over confidence is fun, but I believe some actually believe we should win by a big margin, when all of the professional agencies have (and have always had) Melbourne favoured over us. In a week dominated by gambling I suggest not gambling. I am starting to believe some supporters get more upset because they have money on the line and not common sense.

It is a critical game, as if we win, we go into Carlton with confidence, and then we play the Derby.

Go Dockers!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could be up by 50 points at half time, and still I would have doubts with the W....

Yeah, I would be stoked if we get the 4 points - but do not go putting any bets on because honestly, this is a 50\50 game.
I half expect Melbourne to start playing competitive footy. They are not out of form as they have played the Eagles, Giants, Crows and Magpies in the past 4. That is the top 5 minus Geelong. Nothing over 40 points, and only 2 points in it away to Adelaide.

In my opinion, this would be impossible to be confident in a tip as a neutral supporter. With purple glasses it is easy to say "Melbourne have been ****e, Freo have been good - especially relative to predictions in team performance from the start of the year". Freo without Pearce and Lobbe away - that is big, as we have a host of players that play well at home, and sometimes just play crap away. We lost to the Crows away then the Tigers at home, then the Bombers away, then we snuck a win against the Lions, and the Magpies. The Power game was a convincing win.

What is my point. Form "means nothing". Ladder position does not mean a lot either.

I believe many on here are setting their sights on finals, even top 4. The truth is if we make even 8th on the ladder it would be a massive boost for our list. The reality is we are fighting for this position with many clubs. The way the ladder goes, IF we win tomorrow, we are looking good for that. If we lose, we are still in the hunt for 8th. I cannot see us pushing top 4.

All I do know is something has changed in the way we are playing the 4th quarters. Also we are always competitive. So I will be happy if we are competitive. This is not an easy game, I think the Eagles at home will be better matched to us this year. The main thing to our advantage is Lever and Hibberd out. Gartlett out is also a plus IMO, although his form has been average at best.
thanks for the reminder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back