Toast Round 14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton supporter so sorry to intrude - you guys are a class above us but watching the replay - in the 2nd Quarter did Bruce really shout:

"I'm loving Cox right now !! ".
Bahahah, that's a great catch. He's really out of it
Absolutely - he really is past whatever mental capacity he once had.
An embarrassment in even the Australian idiot sports media.
Preferred Cometti's 'deep in the pocket we have Dick'

What we'd give to have Dennis back! They have the Richies at the cricket, it's crossed my mind more than once to get a bunch together as the Commetti's - just deserved of a fan tribute the great man.

Come back Dennis!!!

1599111847351.png

So I've watched the replay and there are some positives, good positives! And this may sound weird and blasphemous but........

Carlton aren't a bad side, their defence is solid, they like to move the ball through the middle have decent tall forwards coupled with x factors in Betts and Fisher. It's pretty balanced with some young talent with older maturer heads. Not a push over as the giants found out last night.

Qtr 1 to qt3 both teams looking to move the ball on, we basically deliberately moved away from possession keepings off. This is very positive, even given some of the skills are a little rusty, Crisps bounce an example, Phillips handball to opp another (twice).

We were down in i50 43 - 40, a little low for us and unexpected given the intent to run and carry and DE was 74% for the match. We've had better DE but that was largely due to possession game, chipping it sideways and backwards. This game with run and carry we were going to turnover at times - still not bad DE given that. If we can clean up around the contest we may be difficult to stop, gonna require outnumber on the spread - back to 2018.

Looks like the committee (match) are looking for something in between the breakneck take on game ball movement and stifled possession game. Trying to find the right balance.

Quaynor - Was on Eddie early, got him out the back near the goal square and goaled. It's Eddie, even at 30 something and plus 10 years on Q he's just as mobile. Q Did some good things - that clean possession on the 50, nice delivery inside. Kids gonna be good!

Billy - although not a natural mid, he's a natural footballer and was good in there and won some clearances.

Stevo - looks the attitude has improved, when he looks to make space to lead into, the defenders can't go with him when he got good delivery

Crisp and Bruzzy - good attacking moves of half back, this looks like it's by design. Bruzzy looking at AA, even Crispy.

Adams - grunt mid as expected, AA this year, feeds off to the likes of Billy and Pendles. Great game from Tay.

Grundy - looks like he's carrying a niggle, still a good game and probably took the chocolates in the ruck.

Cox - his game relies entirely on good delivery, if he gets a ball coming in in front of him he either marks or contests ball to the deck. Can't drop it on his head, he'll just get outbodied.

In a nutshell, moving the ball i50 is a little rusty, if we clean that up ALL of our forwards will reap the benefits. When it worked it looked dangerous, clean up DE and we'll improve.

Stoppages & clearances - much improved, will be a test against Bris. If we can stack up in this area and keep improving DE we're a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back