Prediction Round 14: Changes vs Melbourne + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne's disposal is worse than ours this season, much worse and they are off their bye. I say we jump them in the 1st and cash in on turnovers like Port did to us early.
Their disposal isn't there biggest issue. It's their defending, they play a zone really poorly and that's been there biggest downfall. Horribly out of position when defending.

Their disposal isn't there biggest issue. It's their defending, they play a zone really poorly and that's been there biggest downfall. Horribly out of position when defending.
They had been. Much better in the last couple of weeks. It might take a few for them to gel properly defensively given they have so many new faces playing together though.

Still think the bye is the biggest factor.

This is probably more of a prematch comment, but today Port managed to take more grabs in the forward 50 then I can remember seeing in a long time. No surprise it was their tall timber as well - Pearce wasn't just an amazing defender, he had the height to knock back 90% of the incoming missiles.

There's just no way to combat this, and for some teams bombing it on might start working more often unless we can throw some extra height in Cox or Darcy occasionally.
Port took a bunch of marks inside forward 50 in the first 1/4, then hardly any after that.

Melbourne have tough inside mids but I feel we at least match them with Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Conca, Brayshaw. Where we can expose them is with speed and we need better disposal.

Based on that I’d be tempted to go:

OUT: Tucker (omit), Switta (inj)
IN: Cerra, Bennell

I’d move Sonny forward to take Switta’s role as the pressure forward and roll Hilly and Bennell through the forward flanks.
I hope Switta comes up ok. Love what he brings to the team.

I hope Switta comes up ok. Love what he brings to the team.

Plays his role extremely well. His attack and 1% play is incredible. Just needs to tidy up some stuff.

Not bothered that he doesn’t hit the scoreboard, but that would also be nice reward for effort.

without Tabs and Lobbe in the side, we need Cox's marking ability up front as no one else looks capable of taking a contested grab consistently up front. Its such a shame we lost those two as its going to bite us big time when the games become a contested one, especially potential finals. I would also not give up on McCarthy as the guy can kick a football in front of goal unlike Hogan and Cox. such a dilemma. So no change on that front atm. We are really heavily relying on our small forwards to kick a score. I would consider putting Fyfe more in the forward line if we can hold up in the middle. perhaps when Bennell and S.Hill can find some continuity, that could be more possible moving forward. Also I miss Sandilands's dominance, even as a 36 year old. If he fit in round 18 I would put him in straight away. Darcy competed well today but I prefer even Sandi without match fitness. He is classes above and the way Ross talks about him, I know he will put him in

without Tabs and Lobbe in the side, we need Cox's marking ability up front as no one else looks capable of taking a contested grab consistently up front. Its such a shame we lost those two as its going to bite us big time when the games become a contested one, especially potential finals. I would also not give up on McCarthy as the guy can kick a football in front of goal unlike Hogan and Cox. such a dilemma. So no change on that front atm. We are really heavily relying on our small forwards to kick a score. I would consider putting Fyfe more in the forward line if we can hold up in the middle. perhaps when Bennell and S.Hill can find some continuity, that could be more possible moving forward. Also I miss Sandilands's dominance, even as a 36 year old. If he fit in round 18 I would put him in straight away. Darcy competed well today but I prefer even Sandi without match fitness. He is classes above and the way Ross talks about him, I know he will put him in
I agree with you about Sandilands.

If we can make the finals , Sandilands could send us deep into the finals.

Melbourne have tough inside mids but I feel we at least match them with Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Conca, Brayshaw. Where we can expose them is with speed and we need better disposal.

Based on that I’d be tempted to go:

OUT: Tucker (omit), Switta (inj)
IN: Cerra, Bennell

I’d move Sonny forward to take Switta’s role as the pressure forward and roll Hilly and Bennell through the forward flanks.
If Switter goes out, it’s a like for like. Schulz comes in. But Ross would be inclined to play Cerra anyway. Would be seriously undermanned defensive pressure wise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like Cerra to have a full midfield game for Peel. I'd also hold of on Bennell until SHill settles.
Honest question, why? He is not playing midfield when he comes back for Freo. I am not against it, but I hardly think it is important that he plays full mid at Peel if he is down there. Better off getting touch in the role he would play for us.

Honest question, why? He is not playing midfield when he comes back for Freo. I am not against it, but I hardly think it is important that he plays full mid at Peel if he is down there. Better off getting touch in the role he would play for us.
I hope he does play midfield, but my main reason is that he doesn't seem to be imposing himself on games as much as I hoped and expected he would, and it may help. Once Mundy retires he should be playing midfield. If that transition happened next year with Mundy forward more that would work for me.

When can we have Sandi back? Looks like Dardy did ok at Peel

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
McCarthy would be worth a look this week (emergency on the w/end). Cox and Hogan played 95% TOG yesterday. That's huge. Indicates we're really reliant on those two being present. Having another player to kick it to would be ideal. Considering we played 9 defenders, we could always swing a defender out. We're carrying at least 1 too many.

Also, whist I'm looking at the TOG, Bewley had just 66%. That's green vest stuff.

If Switta doesn't come up Bennell may get a look. Hope he gets a game anyway.

Banfield BOG for Peel.

Interesting week coming up for the match committee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back