Prediction Round 14: Changes vs Melbourne + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill is very different and despite the catastrophising in the media has played a huge percentage of games throughout his career and even in the last two seasons still played approx more than 50% of games. The narrative that he hasn't played at all is false. He is not another injury away from not playing, at least in the manner suggested. Technically every player is only a serious injury away from not playing.

I didnt mean he has played nearly zero, I meant he has always looked not 100% fit in the games he has played, and been thrown in to tough games like the one on the weekend. Ongoing quad injuriescould cause him to quit, hes always had trouble with it. We have depth, should be using it to best advantage. My feeling is that it would be killing Harley not to be playing, hes sooo close. I could be wrong on this but Id be surprised if he wasnt super keen to be picked. Hill seems like a more patient type.

I didnt mean he has played nearly zero, I meant he has always looked not 100% fit in the games he has played, and been thrown in to tough games like the one on the weekend. Ongoing quad injuriescould cause him to quit, hes always had trouble with it. We have depth, should be using it to best advantage. My feeling is that it would be killing Harley not to be playing, hes sooo close. I could be wrong on this but Id be surprised if he wasnt super keen to be picked. Hill seems like a more patient type.
Your making mountains out of mole hills. There is no issue here, they are managing Bennell so that when he comes back in he has the best chance to impact games and consistently stay healthy, one of those would be him coming back in a home game and avoiding travel first up. Players are not all managed the same and rightly so.

I’d be wary of bringing in an underdone Harley and replace say a Switter or Duman. Two players on less then 60% time on ground puts a lot of stress on the team. Stephen Hill needs another week to find his feet, Bewley has been great in the time he’s been playing. He tackles well, gets the ball moving. Harley would be a long way out of touch tbh.
Melbourne is a danger game for mine. Hope Ross treats it like so. Bennell is on track for next week vs Carlton, and so he should. Minimal changes, maybe even 1 but Cerra to replace who is the question?

Bennell at home against Carlton is a good option
One more WAFL game under belt and not having to travel
Hill was severely under done coming back early but some classy acts in last Quarter helped make up for it
Very underdone. Vs Melbourne at the MCG is a recipe for disaster. Back him to play another solid game for Peel. Peel play on Saturday, then Freo play Carlton on Sunday evening next week. 8 day break at home, no flying. That’s ideal.

I’d be wary of bringing in an underdone Harley and replace say a Switter or Duman. Two players on less then 60% time on ground puts a lot of stress on the team. Stephen Hill needs another week to find his feet, Bewley has been great in the time he’s been playing. He tackles well, gets the ball moving. Harley would be a long way out of touch tbh.
Melbourne is a danger game for mine. Hope Ross treats it like so. Bennell is on track for next week vs Carlton, and so he should. Minimal changes, maybe even 1 but Cerra to replace who is the question?

Cerra would replace Duman I would imagine as he can play all the same positions. I don't think he is an adequate replacement (forward pressure) for someone like Switta.

Cerra would replace Duman I would imagine as he can play all the same positions. I don't think he is an adequate replacement (forward pressure) for someone like Switta.
Agree. If they were indeed looking to repacked Switter, I’d hope it would be for Schulz. He’s been in good form getting touches. Other then that, Switter stays with his pressure. He does need to kick goals. However Matera and Walters benefit greatly from doing their natural forward role with Switter up the ground forcing turnovers etc

Unsurprisingly S.Hill was short of a run but hopefully now he's in he can string some games together and get back to some form. I'm really liking what Bewley is bringing atm, very nice kick for a first year player.

Duman for Cerra would be my only change. If Bennell gets through another game for Peel though he MUST come in for Carlton. If we aren't managing his minutes he's probably just as likely to re-injure himself playing WAFL as he is AFL. I like Switta but if Bennell found form our forward line would become one of the most dangerous in the comp.

Agree. If they were indeed looking to repacked Switter, I’d hope it would be for Schulz. He’s been in good form getting touches. Other then that, Switter stays with his pressure. He does need to kick goals. However Matera and Walters benefit greatly from doing their natural forward role with Switter up the ground forcing turnovers etc

If Switta doesn’t pull up, could we put Andy B in Swittas role and have Cerra run through the midfield.

AB has a kicking issue which is less of an issue in the forward line.

Otherwise no change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsurprisingly S.Hill was short of a run but hopefully now he's in he can string some games together and get back to some
form. I'm really liking what Bewley is bringing atm, very nice kick for a first year player.

Duman for Cerra would be my only change. If Bennell gets through another game for Peel though he MUST come in for Carlton. If we aren't managing his minutes he's probably just as likely to re-injure himself playing WAFL as he is AFL. I like Switta but if Bennell found form our forward line would become one of the most dangerous in the comp.

I’d keep Duman in. His speed and length are attributes Cerra doesn’t have. It’s also poor form to drop players who are playing well for a player who is perceived to be better.

I’d keep Duman in. His speed and length are attributes Cerra doesn’t have. It’s also poor form to drop players who are playing well for a player who is perceived to be better.

Have to agree to disagree, I think Cerra has already got Duman covered in most areas even before his amazing upside.

Comes down to two newish players and who do you want to pump more games into. Cerra for me.

Have to agree to disagree, I think Cerra has already got Duman covered in most areas even before his amazing upside.

Comes down to two newish players and who do you want to pump more games into. Cerra for me.
Agree too. Hughes more or less plays Duman’s Role. Cerra can come in and do just as well. That’s the role that Cerra can come straight in for. Everywhere else is covered.

We are really starting to get some depth in our small and medium defenders when we are struggling to fit guys like Duman and Cerra in. We still have Nyhuis, who is in great form, Jason Carter who looks like he could be an absolute jet and Tobe Watson who I think is going to be really good - probably just needs one good AFL preseason and about 5kg on his frame.

I think our list is in a very solid state right now, with a lot of upside to come in the next couple of years.

Cerra is super slow duman isn't, both make good decisions and are good kicks. Duman plays better in defence. I wouldn't swap Cerra for Duman.

Bring Harley in giving him 2 full games before the derby. Whoever goes out would surely understand. The dudes a freak play him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back