VFL Round 14 - Footscray v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a perfect day for football. So, there, I'll start my comments with a nice cliche.
There was a two goal wind blowing to Mt Mistake but it didn't have a huge influence on the game.This team is very well-coached. It prides itself on maintaining maximum pressure on the opposition with manic tackling and moving the ball quickly to give the forwards a chance. To beat the top team by nearly 10 goals was a great performance. There were a few standouts but really this was a team effort from start to finish.
Players:
Dale: stood out for his class in getting and disposing of the ball. Got very much involved for 4 quarters. If we give him away for handful of beans (as some people on this forum have suggested) we have rocks in our head.
West: the human tackling machine (only a paltry 6 today): was great for the first 3 quarters and a bit quieter in the last. He's coming along very nicely as a mid/forward and should be given a couple of games before season's end.
Sweet: shaded the Tigers' rucks and was looking very promising around the ground when he was struck down with an injury in a marking contest. Limped off with assistance and took no further part. Kicked a great goal in the 1st against a slight breeze.
Van der Meer: A solid game without being outstanding. Provided a link in several chains. Keep safe.
The Klingon: typical Morris game, intercepted very well and told his back half what to do and where to go. Who knows, we may yet see him again in the seniors.
Lew Young: played OK, punched the ball away from opponents but not marking as well as previously. I would love the selectors to pick him for a couple of games this season but I think I understand why they're not. Keep safe.
Lach Young: reasonably quiet but was part of a very effective back six.
Cavarra: OK, no goals but contributed to a couple. Can't see promotion in the near future.
Gardner: Ok, nothing special, got several hitouts when he had to be shifted to the ruck when Sweet went down. Suffered a serious injury later in the game, couldn't tell whether knee or ankle but he was in a lot of pain.
Lynch: much better effort from him today, was more physical than previous and got involved in the packs a bit more as well as outside.
Wallis: 22 disposals and 6 tackles, a very good return from injury. Not sure that he will be promoted automatically next week however.
Jong: looked very rusty in the 1st half, turned the ball over a few times and was typical 'Jongy'. Still, I suspect he's coming from a long way back so any contribution is encouraging. Got more involved in the second half with some nice marks and became "last ruckman standing" in the last quarter.

A word on Anthony Scott: had we not been desperate for a tall in the mid-season draft then this player would have been worth a chance at the big time. He's a very smart footballer and when he gets near goal he usually slots them. Kicked 4 and was impressive.
Cheers, a nice day in the sun at VUWO.

We had two selections but only used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HwiUqog.png

g737Tj4.png

Wow, Gardner barely getting a kick at VFL level.
For those who watched was he really that ineffective? Looks like he was helping out in the ruck.

Not a great game, especially as he got injured half way through the fourth which was our dominant quarter. I'd say a 50/50 split between ruck and defence. When he was defending he and the Youngs were spoiling instead of marking pretty much every time. Wish there was a 1% stat to get a better idea of what was going on.

Cavarra quiet. Justified my thoughts of holding off selecting him. Did he play the full game?

Yeah. I didn't watch the week before but I'd guess McLean's presence helped keep Cavarra forward. This week he played a lot of wing which doesn't seem to be a strength of his. Still played a fair bit forward and could've had two goals but chose to pass them off. It'll be interesting to see where he plays this weekend, if Wallis takes more mid time and Libba plays as well Cavarra might get more opportunity in his best role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back