Review Round 14 - Fremantle d Brisbane by 36 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have an issue with our performances the last 5 weeks. In the wet the game becomes a slogfest and any afl standard squad that gives it a go are going to challenge us in the ugly contested footy until the weaker team falls away.

No one gets a run on against us like Sydney did. Tassie weather will be quite familiar to us.

7 days break between the Hawthorn game in Tazzie is ample time to recover. I'm of the opinion that these wet weather games are doing wonders for our match fitness and that when we do play on a fine dry day, our skill levels will go through the roof. I'm very happy that we're not playing our best footy but still winning. Let's save our best for last. We are in an awesome position sitting top of the ladder and two games clear. Make no mistake;we're building nicely. No changes next week.
Regarding fitness, I don't think it is a coincidence that in our 'form slump' we have generally dominated the last quarter of all of those matches (maybe barring Richmond). Sandi starts to dominate and our clearance work (and hence inside 50s) goes through the roof. A portion of this is skills, but I feel that fitness is the major factor.
I am starting to believe that if things are close at 3/4 time, we will generally run over them. A win is a win.
We are a good team!

I don't have an issue with our performances the last 5 weeks. In the wet the game becomes a slogfest and any afl standard squad that gives it a go are going to challenge us in the ugly contested footy until the weaker team falls away.

No one gets a run on against us like Sydney did. Tassie weather will be quite familiar to us.

It certainly is beneficial to their conditioning, especially contested footy.

I believe we know we are a good team and can match it with anyone - RTB's challenges are now above the head - he needs to get the best from the current team whilst motivating the 2nds to continue to push and create pressure. I have no doubt he is trying a few structural set ups that create extra risk on being scored against but he balances those risk vs long term reward.
Wet weather hasn't helped us and we have some clear 'work in progresses' but its just that - we are still winning while building towards the big dance. We all want to see 50+ wins each week, but these wins are invaluable to our psyche

Lyon coached very conservatively against the lions. Allowing them spare defenders and not allowing our defenders to be exposed 1 on 1 for 3/4 of the game. When he finally rolled the dice and manned up the spare defenders in our forward line. Suddenly our impotent forward line (when playing 5 vs. 7) were capable of kicking 7 goals in a quarter in the wet when 7 vs. 7. The risk was our defenders were left exposed in 5 on 5 situations, but they were good enough to beat Brisbane Lions forward line consistently. Can we rely on our defenders 5 vs 5 against Hawthorn? I'm not sure. But what I am sure, is our forward line won't kick a score playing 5 vs 7.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but was really impressed with Mundy in the last quarter. He generally plays well against hawthorn, so it will be good to see him recapturing his early season form.

[QUOTE

I guess we will find out where we stand next week.[/QUOTE]
I'll help you here @Eshed, after watching the last few rounds we're top two in the comp without doubt. That includes how we are playing right now. On our best days we are the best team in the comp. I won't be picking out too much from this game, if it's dry or wet. I actually think we are a good chance of winning quite well if we can assert mid filed dominance. Their backline isn't flash. If the mid field battle is 50/50 I still think that we're a good chance. Lots of ball into their F50 and we're done. This game is a stress test of our systems and its perfect time for it, giving us an idea of what we need to improve and time in which to correct it. We're one of the two best teams in the comp, right now it doesn't matter which one.

Lyon coached very conservatively against the lions. Allowing them spare defenders and not allowing our defenders to be exposed 1 on 1 for 3/4 of the game. When he finally rolled the dice and manned up the spare defenders in our forward line. Suddenly our impotent forward line (when playing 5 vs. 7) were capable of kicking 7 goals in a quarter in the wet when 7 vs. 7. The risk was our defenders were left exposed in 5 on 5 situations, but they were good enough to beat Brisbane Lions forward line consistently. Can we rely on our defenders 5 vs 5 against Hawthorn? I'm not sure. But what I am sure, is our forward line won't kick a score playing 5 vs 7.

I think that we've been pushed to do this to protect our backline. While Alex Pearce has been promising, he still requires a lot of support from our stalwarts down there. Even if our defence is holding, we are currently leaking goals more than when Johnno was playing. Late in the game, when the game is there to be won, Ross has to roll the dice and back our fitness to keep up with two-way running if the opposition get it over the top and try to hurt us on the counter.

How many more weeks before Johnson comes back?

I think that we've been pushed to do this to protect our backline. While Alex Pearce has been promising, he still requires a lot of support from our stalwarts down there. Even if our defence is holding, we are currently leaking goals more than when Johnno was playing. Late in the game, when the game is there to be won, Ross has to roll the dice and back our fitness to keep up with two-way running if the opposition get it over the top and try to hurt us on the counter.

5-7 weeks until he is available for selection plus any WAFL games if needed.

Johnson is aiming to be back for the derby in round 20.

I haven't watched the replay yet, but was really impressed with Mundy in the last quarter. He generally plays well against hawthorn, so it will be good to see him recapturing his early season form.

There was this extra layer of hostility to him in the last which seemed to translate into the ability to break from the packs just that much more effectively, and gave him more time to find the right option in our forward half.

When he gets like that I think he's even more valuable than Fyfe in terms of poise, discipline and overall effectiveness. We need that from him all game if we get into a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was this extra layer of hostility to him in the last which seemed to translate into the ability to break from the packs just that much more effectively, and gave him more time to find the right option in our forward half.

When he gets like that I think he's even more valuable than Fyfe in terms of poise, discipline and overall effectiveness. We need that from him all game if we get into a GF.

Mundy beast mode. He was excellent most of the game but went that extra level in the last quarter.

Hill was visibly in discomfort after half time. He started well in first qtr then when they ran out after half time he looked very proppy, limping around like he had a bad cork. Mustn't be too bad as he played on but will probs be monitored closely before a tough travel schedule.

Last edited:
That's pretty much it really.
I remember as recently as a couple of years ago, I'd be hoping for rain in any game against the likes of Hawthorn.
Reason being, it does exactly that - takes a lot of skill out of the game and brings it down to a contest consisting more of sheer willpower. Levels the playing field. The winner is usually the one who can bring that willpower.... and just a little more skill than the opposition. Which Freo did, and having been doing for a while now.

Thing about wet weather is it gives you a feeling you can win. It isn't as much about skill anymore, and you know if you take it up to the opposition you're going to make them look more ordinary than they normally would. Any AFL team knows it's a chance against any opposition in the wet, given a skill disparity that isn't a gulf. Of course Brissy gave it a go.
We used to pray for wet weather against the likes of Hawthorn a couple of years ago because, back then, we knew it gave us a chance we wouldn't normally have. Can't be bothered looking for those posts, but we all know they're there.

Except now, all we have is this bullshit about teams playing winning well regardless of conditions. From...certain quarters of our fan base.

The reason for that is we've grown to have expectations. I'm not talking the sort of Icarus-like expectations the likes of Clogged get a kick out of watching our wings melt away - that's for the Richmond mob. And bloody Nero. Clogged has a fiddle waiting in readiness, I reckon.

Point is, suddenly, we're no longer the wet-weather hopeful hunters. We're the hunted.
We're the ones who have to be careful of underestimating a determined team when the ball doesn't quite come out the way we expect.
That's the difference in mentality - being happy about giving it a red-hot go in inclement weather against the form team of the competition suddenly becomes a tale of woe and a "form slump" when you are that team.
Well... maybe that team. Allow me a little Pollyanna moment, as a *-you to the type of tosser who can't give fans a little moment of happiness and confidence.

And how's my little man Ballas. Was it last week? I said I'd like to see him waiting in the middle after a rebound, waiting for the kick to go into an empty forward line so he can run in and goal? Was Danyle reading me last week or something?

Bang. There you go Ballas. Run!
Dammit. My moment of tactical glory stomped down by long spikes. Ah well. Two Lions hot on his heels, little legs pumping away like no tomorrow, and he almost... almost... hehe. Weelah! Aright, so maybe it should have been Hilly. There goes my "told you so" moment.
We goaled anyway, after Ballas had the presence of mind to flick the ball straight back into the support he knew was coming.
No way on Earth do we drop that man. Couple of goals for the next few weeks and he's a more intense Rioli, albeit perhaps with a touch less class.

Anyway. I'm really looking forward to Hawthorn this week, and I'm not about to write it off. A hard game, yep - but we can do it, if we bring the right team over. Which is pretty much the same team that played this week. Including Tabs and Suban. I don't want rain, and I don't want Tabs dropped for little reason other than he's not playing well in slippery conditions. Only way to teach him now is to make him do it. He'll be up to it. Never seen so much dislike for a KP forward after 25 games or less.
Liker I said weeks ago and like someone on here said earlier - he's dropping marks, yeah. But he's dropping them after being in a position to take them. And that means more for a young player in less than 50 games than some of you seem to be aware of. I'm certainly glad Ross seems to be.

Ya Buncha nancys.

Tell you what.
Clogged, you go get a version of the Freo theme song that mirrors the tempo and style of the Volga boatmen exactly rather than being based on it. Far more apropos, hmm? Might help you get in the mood a bit more before the game.

Liker I said weeks ago and like someone on here said earlier - he's dropping marks, yeah. But he's dropping them after being in a position to take them. And that means more for a young player in less than 50 games than some of you seem to be aware of. I'm certainly glad Ross seems to be.

Ross persists with him because we have absolutely no one else, would any other current top 8 side or a premiership contender be able to carry him in their starting 18 each week?

I'm not having a dig at Tabener, he's obviously trying his guts out. It's just frustrating that our lack of a quality second KPF could cost us our first flag, equally frustrating that down the road a couple of blokes that were within reach called jack darling and jeremy mcgovern have had a terrific start to their careers.

Ross persists with him because we have absolutely no one else, would any other current top 8 side or a premiership contender be able to carry him in their starting 18 each week?

I'm not having a dig at Tabener, he's obviously trying his guts out. It's just frustrating that our lack of a quality second KPF could cost us our first flag, equally frustrating that down the road a couple of blokes that were within reach called jack darling and jeremy mcgovern have had a terrific start to their careers.
What are your thoughts on AP playing fwd when our defensive stocks return?

Stiongbitten asked the same thing.

Of course they would. They already are. Jesse White was at Sydney and is now at Collingwood because Sydney bought better ones, Ryan Schoenmakers at Hawthorn. Two off the top of my head that have been persisted with for years even though they have shown only flashes of ability. There are plenty of second string forwards around at the moment, and plenty of them being played in the top 8.
Personally, I'd take Taberner in front of either of those two - if only because I don't think we've seen him at his best yet, and both of those above have had years and never really come on.

He's played less than 25 games... I think people are more pissed off that he's not Jesse Hogan. Because, you know, we should have just picked him instead.
People have to remember we haven't had any real shot at a true forward in years due to the expansion teams and being relatively highly placed on the ladder. We have to make do with what we have.

Recommend watching the highlights from the game (yes there's not many). http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/

Really shows how the majority of their scores were low percentage stuff and that our attacking movement was much more deliberate. If you factor in the sitters this was a pretty convincing win in the mud.

AP looks to be more agile, and seems to be better with his hands than Tabs, so I think there is some merit in the idea.

We could also bring in another midfielder and move Fyfe to CHF.

Good call. He seems a smarter player too, and as Mudd said, he reads the ball very well. Not sure on his set shot accuracy but he's got great depth in his kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back