Remove this Banner Ad

MatteeG

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, KC Royals, NO Saints
First half was nice to sit through, second half was painful. The result I probably would have accepted pre-game, but not in that fashion.

Mids got smacked, seriously best game I have seen McGrath play, and Big Joe makes them way more potent up forward.

Liked what CJ, Ollie and Hartley bring, keep them both in. Persist with Cousins too. Scrimmers needs to kick the damn thing long when the game is on the line.

Shiels needs a rest, Tommy probably does too.

Tactical question, assuming Cegs is right handed, why does he run to the centre circle tap from the right hand side? Means he leads with his tapping hand, which gets brought down when he gets contact. Protecting an injury maybe?

If we were fair dinkum we would have moved Wings in the centre during the 3rd quarter onslaught. Criminal we leave someone with his ability out to dry on a HFF permanently.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just on Mitchell- it’s worth noting he gets some pretty close attention from the opposition at the stoppages.
Was watching him closely yesterday- particularly in the 2nd half - he was held, scragged and at one point pulled off the footy at the stoppages.
It was only in the last 2 minutes the umpires cottoned on and actually gave him a free kick but unfortunately the game was already over at that point..
Imagine we took a team first attitude and had someone blocking for Mitchell. Haven't seen it regularly since Howe was a full time mid.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hanrahan desperately needs to work on his disposal going inside 50. He tidies that up and I think he’s a keeper but if he continues butchering some basic delivery going inside then he’s still probably gonna get games but my TV will be on borrowed time

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Love Worps but that instant-chuck-ball-on-foot thing he does is painful.

He’d be even better without that in his game. How many times does he get a hack kick clearance which goes straight to an opponent 30 meters from the stoppage.

That was the knock on him when he was drafted, so expect it will take time. Geez we missed JOM's tenacity in the centre square.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hanrahan desperately needs to work on his disposal going inside 50. He tidies that up and I think he’s a keeper but if he continues butchering some basic delivery going inside then he’s still probably gonna get games but my TV will be on borrowed time
Yeah sometimes he makes tough things look easy but he needs to make better use of it during the easy times too. Needs a bigger tank. I think his best role is a high HF who can push up to stoppages and then run back to goal. But he can't seem to do it for a whole game consistently. It would help him apply more defensive pressure. Give him one more year unless we find better options in the offseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Not even our biggest problem though. He dominated the hitouts. Our mids were hopeless.

He had seven hitouts to advantage same as Phillips, so yes he may have had far more tapouts than Phillips but only seven helped us which means the other 23 were either a neutral or advantaged Essendon. I definitely saw some that went straight to their midfielders. That to me is a pretty big problem to begin with, if he taps the ball to Essendon's advantage it pretty much stuffs up our mids chances of being competitive. When they see his hand on the ball they have to assume he will try to give it to them.

TBH, Tap outs to disadvantage would be one of the most interesting non-stats we currently record (never seen them so assuming that) we could get our hands on.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I thought that Howe played terrific last night - second up in his first game of the year and an injury riddled preseason. He is a keeper and better than just a back up soldier.

Minchington is a no brainer delisting and should not play for the rest of the season, if he does I will dead set do a Terry Wallace. Ceglar should also play scrimmages for the rest of the year, has embarrassed himself this year and I don't often say that about players. Give Reeves a couple of games with Big Boy to see how far off it he is. Please keep persisting with Glass, has speed, good attack on the ball and a really nice kick. For the love of god please play Moore (in place of Minchtington) OR bring back Morris and pump games into him. TOB stays as we have no other alternatives, let him play alongside Lewis for the rest of the year as they have played well together before. The Jon Patton experiment has failed, his body is shot and just not up to the rigours of AFL. Has a preseason to try and get his body right but I can't see it happening

Not all doom and gloom, Hanrahan and Jiath showed some real X factor last night and definately worth persisting with. Hartley and Frost are no world beaters but good defenders just need another big tall who can consistently take contested marks - not giving up on Kosi just yet. I'm excited about the draft, as mentioned previously, this is the year that you really want a top 5 pick which we will get. Coupled wit Norths second pick and Downie, we get a much needed injection of quality kids.
I will apologise before continuing because others have probably shown a level head. But this was a read a couple skip a few, read a couple skip a few until page 18 to get a sensible (IMO) viewpoint of last night.

Not all doom and gloom. As far as I take it Clarko is assessing the list regardless of the result.

RiverRiver

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He had seven hitouts to advantage same as Phillips, so yes he may have had far more tapouts than Phillips but only seven helped us which means the other 23 were either a neutral or advantaged Essendon. I definitely saw some that went straight to their midfielders. That to me is a pretty big problem to begin with, if he taps the ball to Essendon's advantage it pretty much stuffs up our mids chances of being competitive. When they see his hand on the ball they have to assume he will try to give it to them.

TBH, Tap outs to disadvantage would be one of the most interesting non-stats we currently record (never seen them so assuming that) we could get our hands on.

That is literally Ceglar winning or neutralising his position and our midfielders getting smashed at theirs... Quite baffled at the way some you dweebs see things.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Not even our biggest problem though. He dominated the hitouts. Our mids were hopeless.
It's a problem when he storms out of a stopage with the game in the balance and only minutes to go and under very little pressure kicks it into the members area.

Facepalm kind of stuff a top shelf coach killer.

Just watched a replay.
Hanrahan took a couple of short steps in the middle with the game on the line 2 mins to go. Haven’t seen that in a while from a Hawthorn player.
You can see why Hartley couldn’t get a game at Essendon. Lack toughness. Would prefer him at half back rather than on the goal line.
CJ has so much to learn about footy. like Nash, you either play him every week or delist him.
Scrimshaw is a brilliant Mark, but poor decision maker. Lacks confidence.
Minch. Struggles to contribute. Pass.
Glass. Another poor decision maker. Loves to handball into trouble, and kicks straight but often too long or short
Wingard disappointing yet again.
Gunston is really trying hard.
McEvoy was pretty good down back.
Cousins, Worps good again.
Shiels’ career is on a Similar trajectory to Stratts.
Most of the other guys played to their usual level.
Well said agree with everything. Am worried about Shiels too. Had a very up and down season which is the opposite of what we normally get from him.

Good thing is at least we have had a look at Hartley. Got to have a look at a few other untried youngsters too. But I suspect this week we will see Burger Stratts and Impey return with Patton, Minch and one other out. Can't see us bringing in any debutants.

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I mentioned it weeks ago, but I'd rather lose all remaining games knowing that we're getting games into the next gen players instead of persevering with 30+ and the added bonus of early draft picks* (provided we don't trade it for another B grade player).

badboybobba

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That is literally Ceglar winning or neutralising his position and our midfielders getting smashed at theirs... Quite baffled at the way some you dweebs see things.

I don’t think we can play two ruckman, and we all know Big Boy is the better of the two. Ceglar is ok insurance if Big Boy goes down.

Love,
Dweeb

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I don’t think we can play two ruckman, and we all know Big Boy is the better of the two. Ceglar is ok insurance if Big Boy goes down.

Love,
Dweeb

to be fair Big Boy didn't play as a ruckman and was close to BOG as an intercept marker so i mean you take out cegs there's no guarantee of a different result

Remove this Banner Ad

Back