Preview Round 14: Hawthorne vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Thursday 27/08/2020 @ 4:40 AEST

Who shall have more points by full time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
With this better team in will we be bold and confident and bring that intense pressure we displayed against Collingwood?

Or will we dump the ball long and dumb on the head of Stringer and Daniher and then watch it trampoline back down the other end in a split second?

So it looks like we're going with a structure of:

7 Defenders: Gleeson, Guelfi, Hooker, Hurley, Ridley, Redman, Saad
6 Inside Mids: McGrath, Parish, Smith, Merrett, Shiel, Clarke
3 Outside Mids: Snelling, Langford, Ham
1 Ruck: Phillips
5 Forwards: Daniher, Stewart, Stringer, Walla, Mosquito

And they've gone with:

7 Defenders: Hartley, Frost, Day, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Glass
4 Inside Mids: Howe, Worpel, Mitchell, Shiels
3 Outside Mids: Cousins, Scully, Hanrahan
2 Rucks: McEvoy, Ceglar
6 Forwards: Gunston, O'Brien, Patton, Wingard, Breust, Minchington

It's a very tall side for them. If we can break even on the inside we should be able to beat them with speed, Glass, Jiath and Hanrahan are the only players that I'd say have above average pace. Picking Minchington, O'Brien, Patton or Ceglar ahead of guys like Jackson Ross or Dylan Moore or Ned Reeves is beggars belief. Like, why play them?
For Essendon o wise master, all knowing sensi
1 okay and two pretty s**t. Like most of his career

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lol at hawks captain being managed (dropped). Ritchie vandenberg would be quietly smiling.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
So it looks like we're going with a structure of:

7 Defenders: Gleeson, Guelfi, Hooker, Hurley, Ridley, Redman, Saad
6 Inside Mids: McGrath, Parish, Smith, Merrett, Shiel, Clarke
3 Outside Mids: Snelling, Langford, Ham
1 Ruck: Phillips
5 Forwards: Daniher, Stewart, Stringer, Walla, Mosquito

And they've gone with:

7 Defenders: Hartley, Frost, Day, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Glass
4 Inside Mids: Howe, Worpel, Mitchell, Shiels
3 Outside Mids: Cousins, Scully, Hanrahan
2 Rucks: McEvoy, Ceglar
6 Forwards: Gunston, O'Brien, Patton, Wingard, Breust, Minchington

It's a very tall side for them. If we can break even on the inside we should be able to beat them with speed, Glass, Jiath and Hanrahan are the only players that I'd say have above average pace. Picking Minchington, O'Brien, Patton or Ceglar ahead of guys like Jackson Ross or Dylan Moore or Ned Reeves is beggars belief. Like, why play them?

1 okay and two pretty sh*t. Like most of his career
So that's 33%. If he plays well that's 50%. Pretty serviceable for a backup ruck. Booing him as he runs onto the field might be excessive.

Should break even on the inside this week

So that's 33%. If he plays well that's 50%. Pretty serviceable for a backup ruck. Booing him as he runs onto the field might be excessive.

Should break even on the inside this week
Okay isn't good. It's okay. If he plays to his usual standard it'll be 75% s**t.

We played a cooked TBC doing sh*t all.
Phillips isn't as bad as you say he is. Not ideal, but he is capable as a depth player.
Phillips is a guy who has been on a list for 9 years now and has 45 games. There's a reason for that.

And there's a reason we're playing Bellchambers ahead of him, despite the fact he's cooked. There's a reason pretty much every Carlton supporter I know laughed when they pawned him off to us. And you know what that reason is? It's because he's no good.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Phillips is a guy who has been on a list for 9 years now and has 45 games. There's a reason for that.

And there's a reason we're playing Bellchambers ahead of him, despite the fact he's cooked. There's a reason pretty much every Carlton supporter I know laughed when they pawned him off to us. And you know what that reason is? It's because he's no good.
Ok so you're going to use our selection as evidence? Well then McKernan deserved his spot because we selected him amirite?

We literally have McKernan and Phillips available. There's nothing wrong with picking Phillips. He's depth and isn't great, but tries hard and that's all we can ask for until Draper is ready.

He isn't that bad.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Okay isn't good. It's okay. If he plays to his usual standard it'll be 75% sh*t.
Except he played very well against the pies.

Ok so you're going to use our selection as evidence? Well then McKernan deserved his spot because we selected him amirite?

We literally have McKernan and Phillips available. There's nothing wrong with picking Phillips. He's depth and isn't great, but tries hard and that's all we can ask for until Draper is ready.

He isn't that bad.
The difference between the two is that Phillips is a better tap ruckman and concedes marginally fewer free kicks. He's not a good player.
Except he played very well against the pies.
He was okay. We overrated that performance, myself included, at the time due to the fact Bellchambers is super cooked.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
The difference between the two is that Phillips is a better tap ruckman and concedes marginally fewer free kicks. He's not a good player.

He was okay. We overrated that performance, myself included, at the time due to the fact Bellchambers is super cooked.
No, he was very good.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't see why people are complaining about Phillips selection. Draper managed this week and Bellchambers injured (who most on here don't want to get played anyway) so who else is AFL ready to play in the ruck?. I reckon he'll do OK. Not playing against the premier rucks in the league this week.

Exciting to see Daniher and Hooker back! Hooker's got a logical matchup vs Patton and Daniher with Stewart and Stringer looks like a good set of tall forward options.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Speak for yourself son. You aren't the authority. He was really good that night. Your too stubborn to admit that because it goes against your narrative. You remind me of Kane Cornes sometimes. Really gets on one's goat. Forums are great as you get a variety of opinions and some information that isn't in the media. Please stop using it as a platform to prove you know more than everyone else

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
His direct opponent was still clear cut the opposition's best player. Much like his next two games.
Doesn't matter how well his opponent played. Phillips was very good.

Speak for yourself son. You aren't the authority. He was really good that night. Your too stubborn to admit that because it goes against your narrative. You remind me of Kane Cornes sometimes. Really gets on one's goat. Forums are great as you get a variety of opinions and some information that isn't in the media. Please stop using it as a platform to prove you know more than everyone else
Don't like, put me on ignore champ :thumbsu:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back