Preview Round 14: Hawthorne vs Essendon, York Park, Sunday 20/06/2021 @ 3:20 PM AEST

Whomst dost thou thinketh will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

These young blokes watching Cutler get a free ride must have no idea what’s going on. If I was Cahill, I’d be absolutely fuming.

Also, why do we put Draper in the 2’s for a month but Cutler can just come straight back in without a lick of fitness?
Cutler was better than all others in his last few VFL games, so nobody should be upset. He has been doing what was asked of him at that level (pre-injury). I find him painful to watch, but also understand having one last look at him before the end of the year.

The more I think about it the more I recall his last sub game actually being kinda solid.

4 quarters of that from Cutler is all I want.

So Draper, Smith, Cutler and Zerk-Thatcher all definitely in. Francis, Ambrose (sub), Waterman, Zaharakis, McGrath definitely out.

Hind, Cox and Guelfi should retain their spots, I don't think we'll have more changes than we have to. Also usually the first four on the bench are the bench, the next one is the sub, and the last three are emergencies. So that means the last player in should be Cahill, sub is Phillips, with Reid, Durham and Wright as emergencies.

How on earth is that going to work? 🤔

def: Zerk-Thatcher = Francis
ruck: Draper = Phillips
wing: Cutler = Langford/Parish/Merrett = McGrath
hf: Smith & Cahill = Waterman & Zaharakis
sub: Phillips = Ambrose

Phillips either comes on for Draper to give Draper limited minutes, or if someone else gets injured then he could play the Wright role. That would mean we go from being a bit short up forward to a bit tall, and someone like Smith or Cahill goes further up the ground to cover the gap. If it's a key defender then you end up with a shorter defence, Guelfi goes back to pick up a man and one of the others plays more on the wing.

Regarding Smith, we lost Snelling before Dreamtime, now Zaka and Waterman are out, so we're down to one small forward. I think Smith will have to play there, because we're almost out of options even with Cahill coming in, and we can't not have pressure forwards or they'll rebound far too easily. So probably he has the task of being an annoying campaigner, buzzing around like a mosquito and tackling everyone. He'll get some centre bounces as well though, presumably, and probably so does Perkins and Stringer.

Cutler on a wing is because he did that job in the VFL. Cahill was playing midfield in the VFL too, and could play on the wing to release Merrett/Parish/McGrath to go into the middle, but that would leave us without a replacement for one of Waterman and Zaharakis in the forward line, and I don't think Cutler is cut out for a small forward gig. Too tall (both physically and how he plays), and a bit too languid as well. Cutler was tearing it up doing a rebound/goal assist job in the VFL, so I think that's more likely to be his spot.

If Smith and Cahill both play up the ground, Walla will be our only small forward. 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Draper, Smith, Cutler and Zerk-Thatcher all definitely in. Francis, Ambrose (sub), Waterman, Zaharakis, McGrath definitely out.

Hind, Cox and Guelfi should retain their spots, I don't think we'll have more changes than we have to. Also usually the first four on the bench are the bench, the next one is the sub, and the last three are emergencies. So that means the last player in should be Cahill, sub is Phillips, with Reid, Durham and Wright as emergencies.

How on earth is that going to work? 🤔

def: Zerk-Thatcher = Francis
ruck: Draper = Phillips
wing: Cutler = Langford/Parish/Merrett = McGrath
hf: Smith & Cahill = Waterman & Zaharakis
sub: Phillips = Ambrose

Phillips either comes on for Draper to give Draper limited minutes, or if someone else gets injured then he could play the Wright role. That would mean we go from being a bit short up forward to a bit tall, and someone like Smith or Cahill goes further up the ground to cover the gap. If it's a key defender then you end up with a shorter defence, Guelfi goes back to pick up a man and one of the others plays more on the wing.

Regarding Smith, we lost Snelling before Dreamtime, now Zaka and Waterman are out, so we're down to one small forward. I think Smith will have to play there, because we're almost out of options even with Cahill coming in, and we can't not have pressure forwards or they'll rebound far too easily. So probably he has the task of being an annoying campaigner, buzzing around like a mosquito and tackling everyone. He'll get some centre bounces as well though, presumably, and probably so does Perkins and Stringer.

Cutler on a wing is because he did that job in the VFL. Cahill was playing midfield in the VFL too, and could play on the wing to release Merrett/Parish/McGrath to go into the middle, but that would leave us without a replacement for one of Waterman and Zaharakis in the forward line, and I don't think Cutler is cut out for a small forward gig. Too tall (both physically and how he plays), and a bit too languid as well. Cutler was tearing it up doing a rebound/goal assist job in the VFL, so I think that's more likely to be his spot.

If Smith and Cahill both play up the ground, Walla will be our only small forward. 😬
I’m assuming one of Phillips/Wright play and Cahill is the sub.

I’m assuming one of Phillips/Wright play and Cahill is the sub.
Lots of people saying the same. I was trying to figure out if it works with the idea of Cahill playing and Wright not being fit.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Lots of people saying the same. I was trying to figure out if it works with the idea of Cahill playing and Wright not being fit.

It would be too much of an ask to have Draper ruck against the McEvoy and Ceglar combo, especially first game back after injury. In round 1, Draper was very good but tired in that second half.

And you couldn’t want Cox or Langford rucking against McEvoy/Ceglar either.

Think our preference would be Wright to be good to play, but if not, would have to be Phillips.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Nothing wrong with Cutler, atleast he brings something.
Most posters here have knocked 2mp and Phillips all year and how good have they been.

It would be too much of an ask to have Draper ruck against the McEvoy and Ceglar combo, especially first game back after injury. In round 1, Draper was very good but tired in that second half.

And you couldn’t want Cox or Langford rucking against McEvoy/Ceglar either.

Think our preference would be Wright to be good to play, but if not, would have to be Phillips.
Wright has been out for two games already and was replaced by Stringer returning from injury.

If we bring Draper in without dropping Phillips, then Cahill doesn't come in. That means we are swapping a small forward for a key forward/ruck.

The result is that we go from having three or four of Snelling, Waterman, Zaharakis, Smith and Walla most weeks this year to only having Smith and Walla available. And most of you want Smith to play in the middle. That means we have Walla as our only pressure forward. They'll be rebounding all night... Stringer, Hooker aren't going to be doing the tackling.

So I think Cahill has to come in and Phillips has to come out, as indicated by the way they've done the extended bench.

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Cutler was better than all others in his last few VFL games, so nobody should be upset. He has been doing what was asked of him at that level (pre-injury). I find him painful to watch, but also understand having one last look at him before the end of the year.

Wasn’t it only one good game though? And like 10 weeks ago?

I just can’t get my head around the different rules for different players. He and Zaharakis seem to just get games irrelevant of form or anything else.

Could well just be me, and it sounds like it is so I’m probably missing something/just flat out wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back