Oppo Camp Round 14 - Non Collingwood Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted the following on the Cats board. I may have just earn't myself a holiday, but it was worth it -

I come in peace as an opposition supporter, but I'm genuinely interested in Cats supporters reactions to Joel Selwood copping only monetary fines for his actions in 2 ugly incidents during Friday night's game -

*in the opening quarter when he was seen punching Dogs defender Bailey Dale in the head while Dale was on the ground in a congested situation, before seemingly also eye-gouging - MRO assessed this as misconduct, $1000 fine with an early plea
*in the fourth quarter, where he was seen stepping on Bulldogs defender Taylor Duryea's leg, leaving blood streaming down Duryea's leg. MRO assessed as careless conduct, $2000 fine.

Do you as Geelong supporters think less of him as a result? Has his reputation been tarnished in your eyes?

What do you think of the MRO's verdict on the misconduct case? Could this be interpreted as another way of saying players can punch opposition players in the head and appear to eye gouge as much as they like as long they are willing to pay* for it?

*$3000 fine = 0.4% of Joel's estimated $700K annual salary as an AFL player.

My view on the 2nd incident was that it was pretty much an accident, yet that draws twice the financial penalty than the 1st incident, which was clearly intentional and had much more potential to cause injury to the Bulldogs player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back