Autopsy Round 14 vs Carlton Blues @ Melbourne Cricket Ground - 18/06/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Well.

I dunno if it came across just how much we dominated the first quarter. Should have iced the game.

Then everyone seemed to assume - job done, cue in the rack, four points.

It was a complete surrender.

Only Levi and Ballard fought for 4 quarters.

I normally would pot SD - but tbh this wasn't all on him. Far from it.

I think he kept NA across HB for too long, and Luko behind the ball too late - it was the middle that we were getting belted in.

The Bear had a couple of loose moments in Q2 but made up for them.

The other 19 just gave up.

Lastly - Mac Andrew. What.Is.The.Point?

He's too skinny to take a key forward or ruck.
He's too tall to play short.
He's too slow to chase.

Add in the off-field crap - and goodbye.

The whole backline gets unsettled with him in. May as well play CG if we want to do that. This one is on SD

We go again.

Hawthorn are there to be taken. Not if we repeat this performance though.

I reckon we lost a few Melbourne fans on the back of this too - a very,very bad loss.

And the end of finals - again.

Well.

I dunno if it came across just how much we dominated the first quarter. Should have iced the game.

Then everyone seemed to assume - job done, cue in the rack, four points.

It was a complete surrender.

Only Levi and Ballard fought for 4 quarters.

I normally would pot SD - but tbh this wasn't all on him. Far from it.

I think he kept NA across HB for too long, and Luko behind the ball too late - it was the middle that we were getting belted in.

The Bear had a couple of loose moments in Q2 but made up for them.

The other 19 just gave up.

Lastly - Mac Andrew. What.Is.The.Point?

He's too skinny to take a key forward or ruck.
He's too tall to play short.
He's too slow to chase.

Add in the off-field crap - and goodbye.

The whole backline gets unsettled with him in. May as well play CG if we want to do that. This one is on SD

We go again.

Hawthorn are there to be taken. Not if we repeat this performance though.

I reckon we lost a few Melbourne fans on the back of this too - a very,very bad loss.

And the end of finals - again.
Just on defence. The ball was going there so fast that no defence would have cope. They looked bad because the midfield got obliterated similarly to Lions game. I am pretty sure Carlton broke record for scoring from stoppages.

I still have to watch first quarter. Did Carlton lift after 1st quarter or did we drop off? It looked to me that we played with lest intensity that Carlton for the rest of game no matter what coaches tried. it was painful to watch midfield demolition.

Witts sould not play if he was sore. That was easily his worst performance in a long time.

Interestingly, even crazy Rocket said on Footyology podcast that all his teams trained and played crap after bye.
I thought we won one game after bye last year but Crows were also coming from bye. I believe we did not win any game after bye vs team not having a bye.

This year so far all 5 teams coming from bye lost (vs teams not having a bye) with some terrible performances.

Hawks game will be telling.

Last edited:

Now that the emotion has passed I think I can see this game for what it was. Carlton played exceptional top 4 footy in the second quarter and we just had no answer for it. The damage was done by the time we got to the halftime break and our boys tried to get it going afterwards but were essentially lulled into a stalemate in the third quarter. Then it became mission impossible in the fourth term and our boys lost all belief. It was disappointing to see and we certainly played below our normal level but I think you also have to acknowledge that Carlton were just far too good in that second quarter and probably would have beaten 90% of the league yesterday.

Sometimes you just have to say "too good" and I think those 12 goals in a row were exactly that.

Now that the emotion has passed I think I can see this game for what it was. Carlton played exceptional top 4 footy in the second quarter and we just had no answer for it. The damage was done by the time we got to the halftime break and our boys tried to get it going afterwards but were essentially lulled into a stalemate in the third quarter. Then it became mission impossible in the fourth term and our boys lost all belief. It was disappointing to see and we certainly played below our normal level but I think you also have to acknowledge that Carlton were just far too good in that second quarter and probably would have beaten 90% of the league yesterday.

Sometimes you just have to say "too good" and I think those 12 goals in a row were exactly that.

Nah dude, we sucked ass. No sugar coating this one.

didn’t watch more than about a quarter in total but kept an eye on the scores when I could.

so predictable.. should have put money on it.

Liked seeing lukosius still have a decent game despite our team not being on top
Kings marking improving.

Got destroyed from the middle.

We better come out breathing fire against hawthorn.

Nah dude, we sucked ass. No sugar coating this one.
I acknowledged that we played below our normal level and some would probably say we played well below our normal level which I would mostly agree with but Carlton had a historic second quarter that broke an AFL record for most goals scored from centre bounces. They scored 9 goals from 11 scoring shots in that quarter and just overall played extremely well in every way throughout that term. We couldn't keep up but I think virtually every team in the AFL would struggle to keep up when the opposition plays like that.

We're capable of playing a lot better than that but even if we played well I still think we lose to a team playing like that.

Last edited:
I acknowledged that we played below our normal level and some would probably say we played well below our normal level which I would mostly agree with but Carlton had a historic second quarter that broke an AFL record for most goals scored from centre bounces. They scored 9 goals from 11 scoring shots in that quarter and just overall played extremely well in every way throughout that term. We couldn't keep up but I think virtually every team in the AFL would struggle to keep up when the opposition plays like that.

We're capable of playing a lot better than that but even if we played well I still think we lose to a team playing like that.
Carlton kicking 9 goals is just as big an indictment on us as it is a praise of them.

It is clear Witts wasn’t up to par. And our mids fell well short.

Disagree. Carlton played good footy from 6 min remaining in the first quarter but to compare it to top 4 is not correct, IMO. Suns allowed Carlon to dominate by low intensity, low pressure from all players (except a couple). We basically played the same way the whole game while Carlton started poorly. We had the worst pressure differential in the game for the season. In 2nd quarter our pressure was in 160, absolutely terrible.

If we have brought the pressure and contest, the game would be much closer.

Only 9 goals in a row, I believe :p That's enough.

Last edited:
Carlton kicking 9 goals is just as big an indictment on us as it is a praise of them.

It is clear Witts wasn’t up to par. And our mids fell well short.
Disagree. Carlton played good footy from 6 min remaining in the first quarter but to compare it to top 4 is not correct, IMO. Suns allowed Carlon to dominate by low intensity, low pressure from all players (except a couple). We basically played the same way the whole game while Carlton started poorly. We had the worst pressure differential in the game for the season. In 2nd quarter our pressure was in 160, absolutely terrible.

If we have brought the pressure and contest, the game would be much closer.

Only 9 goals in a row, I believe :p That's enough.
I think they played exceptional footy in that second quarter and I think that can be measured when you look at the analytics. Their pressure gauge was through the roof and that was confirmed several times by the Fox Footy coverage, they kicked straight in 9 of 11 scoring shots (81.8%) which is considerably higher than the most accurate team in the league (No.1 Geelong averages 53.7% accuracy in from of goal), they set a record for scoring from centre bounces, they absolutely smashed us in the centre clearances in the second quarter and that's an area we were ranked second in the league prior to the match etc etc. They played extremely well in that second quarter and I think it's flippant to say otherwise. Of course we contributed to it by not playing particularly well but Carlton really made the most of those chances in the second quarter and we've rarely seen that from the Blues this year. They still had to kick the ball straight in order to get those 9 goals and that's more a reflection of their ability to take their chances than anything else.

I think they played exceptional footy in that second quarter and I think that can be measured when you look at the analytics. Their pressure gauge was through the roof and that was confirmed several times by the Fox Footy coverage, they kicked straight in 9 of 11 scoring shots (81.8%) which is considerably higher than the most accurate team in the league (No.1 Geelong averages 53.7% accuracy in from of goal), they set a record for scoring from centre bounces, they absolutely smashed us in the centre clearances in the second quarter and that's an area we were ranked second in the league prior to the match etc etc. They played extremely well in that second quarter and I think it's flippant to say otherwise. Of course we contributed to it by not playing particularly well but Carlton really made the most of those chances in the second quarter and we've rarely seen that from the Blues this year. They still had to kick the ball straight in order to get those 9 goals and that's more a reflection of their ability to take their chances than anything else.
Setting that record of centre bounce goals is equally our fault. Yes, Carlton lifted and were exceptionally clean with ball going forward. But we were beyond insipid. Our pressure rating was dirt poor, especially considering we didn’t have the ball much.

Honestly, whether it was Carlton=good or Gold Coast=bad, it was embarrassing.

And we just lost every ounce of goodwill we earned in the last month.

Hopefully we call it a mulligan and move on.

Setting that record of centre bounce goals is equally our fault. Yes, Carlton lifted and were exceptionally clean with ball going forward. But we were beyond insipid. Our pressure rating was dirt poor, especially considering we didn’t have the ball much.

Honestly, whether it was Carlton=good or Gold Coast=bad, it was embarrassing.

And we just lost every ounce of goodwill we earned in the last month.

Hopefully we call it a mulligan and move on.
That's a fair assessment. Now it's time for us to work on getting that goodwill back with a win over the Hawks. That'll at least get us back to an even ledger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pessimistic review of the game.

In reviewing that 2Q there is no easy fix, everything was bad.
Defenders aren't accountable enough, Collins shouting at them hasn't worked.
Carlton beat the Suns at their own game around stoppage, very concerning to be outplayed in your best area on the ground (missed Miller)
Our forward bombing is going to make Ben King leave and I won't blame him.

R14: Carlton Blues vs Gold Coast Suns Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back