Autopsy Round 14 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We've built a nicely balanced team.

Midfield and forward half have some very physically imposing types to make backmen nervous.. Dixon, SPP, Wines and Impey.

Back half are cool and composed. Wouldn't dare shift Houston forward just yet, let's not experiment too much with a young player performing well.

Liked what I heard from the coaches box. Continual emphasis on defence, Wingard as a tagger, made Collingwood look stupid with their pointless possessions. Only way we'll do damage this year is by having a cohesive team game, we've got the stars to step up when we need but the bread and butter has never been there.

So Wingard completely shuts a dominant Pendlebury out of the game, sacrificing his own game for the good of the team. How is that not putting wins first?
Pendlebury as a key player he is will almost always be near the ball and by using Chad we now have a super talented player who is great in traffic near the ball as well. IMHO it is a very good move having a player like Chad running with a key player like Pendlebury, as Chad's goal proved. Also gets Chad involved as well rather than being stationed at HFF. Just like the good old days when Robran v R Ebert in the centre.

Very happy for Whitey and to be proved very wrong - he definitely adds something to our side and would love to see him and Polec firing on both wings again.

Need to back it up as a team against Richmond and we'll be in a good spot to push on for top 4.

Polec and White on both wings, mmmmm delicious. In saying that, I think Amon is developing nicely.

Whiteys goal of the year against the Tiges in 2014 is as good a goal you'll ever see. Simply brilliant.

Pendlebury as a key player he is will almost always be near the ball and by using Chad we now have a super talented player who is great in traffic near the ball as well. IMHO it is a very good move having a player like Chad running with a key player like Pendlebury, as Chad's goal proved. Also gets Chad involved as well rather than being stationed at HFF. Just like the good old days when Robran v R Ebert in the centre.

Slightly off topic but Fos lined Ebert up against Robran at CHB one day and said it was the most awe inspiring contest he'd ever witnessed. Ebert one that particular battle apparently.

Apologies moderator, carry on with the topic.

IMG_0652.jpg

Whilst it was a fantastic effort on the weekend by most players, there are some obvious issues.

I have never been a Westhoff fan and there is a good reason why. Did not touch the ball in the 2nd Quarter and only twice in the 3rd. Just awful stats for a wingman. In my opinion he is a 2m Kane Mitchell. "Works" really hard and runs more than anyone else, but has f*** all impact on the game.

Young got dropped for bad form and is still in bad form. There a form players in the Magpies that deserve this spot.

There are some others at the bottom of the above list as well.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but does anybody have complaints about the post-match function?

The room was admittedly tiny and too many people were lined up outside and denied entry.

It must be the best the club could get their hands on as apparently Collingwood book out a lot of the best rooms at the MCG when we play them there.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but does anybody have complaints about the post-match function?

The room was admittedly tiny and too many people were lined up outside and denied entry.

It must be the best the club could get their hands on as apparently Collingwood book out a lot of the best rooms at the MCG when we play them there.

I avoided it because I'd heard about the room size beforehand. Etihad is never an issue.

I don't think Aish is up to AFL footy. Have just watched the replay and seriously cannot see what he adds to your team.

Yeah he's a good overhead mark for his size and that's about it. I hope he improves but he either needs to bulk up or develop an incredible tank.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(better late than never) We played well on Saturday and most of the time we played very well. We didn't hang around waiting for things to happen, we made things happen with our hard running, disciplined tackling and hunger to get to the ball first.

Our skills were good and nothing epitomised this more than R.Gray's performance. He did not overrun the ball, he did not fumble below his knees, at hip level nor at chest level like he has been doing consistently all season. He did not miss the target with his handballs and he attacked the ball with gusto and there was venom in his attack on the opponent with the ball; all the things that he hasn't been doing consistently for a long time and the other thing of course, was that he actually did the simple thing correctly after he and his team mates did the real hard stuff to get him/himself into a goalscoring position: he kicked the goal!. I cannot remember the last time Robbie put in a complete performance: well done Robbie Gray!

Jonas and Cluery, the terrorising Tommos', continued on with their excellent season and Darcy Byrne-Jones was as solid as ever even though his ball handling was a fraction off which is not normal for him. Dan Houston is coming on superbly and his kicking is magnificent!

Ollie Wines is an absolutely superb Port Adelaide style player and Sam Powell-Pepper, although a Port style player will become more consistent as he gains more experience, that is, he will be in the game for longer periods. Sam Gray is an old fashioned Port Adelaide player in the long and proud tradition of Port Adelaide small men. His courage is unwavering, his work rate is second to none his hands are top drawer and he runs and runs and runs to get to the contest and then to the next contest and runs and runs to link up and be an outlet, he is an inside player as well as an outside player and the coaching staff love him and he will always be on the team sheet and whilst some are busy trying to knock him, Sam just goes about working his guts out in the true, Port Adelaide tradition.

Some players may not have had huge, football fantasy type stats but football isn't fantasy, it's about the players working as a team and we did not have one passenger. Every time it was their turn to go, our players went and went hard!

A very good team performance that must be replicated next week.

Yeah he's a good overhead mark for his size and that's about it. I hope he improves but he either needs to bulk up or develop an incredible tank.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good luck. His father/uncle? Michael was a very good footballer who didn't like the physical stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(better late than never) ......
I cannot remember the last time Robbie put in a complete performance: well done Robbie Gray!
Gee, you have a short memory! ... How about round 5 against Carlton, and round 2 against Freo? From memory his stats against Freo was some kind of record ... 30 disposals & 6 goals! pretty much unheard of!
Round 5 21st Apr Carlton
K-
14 HB-8 D-22 M-9 G-5 B-4 T-2 I50-5

Round 2 2nd Apr Fremantle
K-
17 HB-13 D-30 M-7 G-6 B-2 T-2 I50-6

Round 14 24th Jun Collingwood
K-
8 HB-12 D-20 G-5 M-5 B-1 T-1 I50-2

Gee, you have a short memory! ... How about round 5 against Carlton, and round 2 against Freo? From memory his stats against Freo was some kind of record ... 30 disposals & 6 goals! pretty much unheard of!
Round 5 21st Apr Carlton
K-
14 HB-8 D-22 M-9 G-5 B-4 T-2 I50-5

Round 2 2nd Apr Fremantle
K-
17 HB-13 D-30 M-7 G-6 B-2 T-2 I50-6

Round 14 24th Jun Collingwood
K-
8 HB-12 D-20 G-5 M-5 B-1 T-1 I50-2

In Northalives defense, we are talking about eight weeks (seven games); and if I've read those numbers correctly, Gray haven't done so much with so little before in this season. He had a flawless performance against the Pies.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but does anybody have complaints about the post-match function? ....
Away functions you never know what you get, often don't know if there is one. Just as we speak the club seems to be making more of an effort with this. Not whingeing, it is what it is.
Even the efforts post games at home have varied from great/inclusive (at Alberton in the early AFL years) to inconsistent and occasionally contemptuously bad.

Finally watched this match earlier this morning. It's funny that now I'm living in the UK our games are in much better times of the day than the 3 or 4am that used to be the case when I was back in Brazil, but in turn that means I'm often busy when Port is playing. At 4am I'm hardly ever busy, so I actually watched far more games live!

A massive well done to Paddy Ryder on his 200th game - and what a performance to go along with it! It's great to have such an in-form ruck in the team. I must admit I underestimated that aspect of the game while you guys all panicked about Lobbe's form in recent years.

It was great to have White's spark back, he gained a lot of meters and overall was a joy to watch. Scored my favourite goal of the match too, Westhoff would've been proud of that finish!

I'm not a huge fan of Wingard deeper in midfield to be honest, but that is probably because I'm a Chad fanboy and I like him closer to the goal, scoring 3 or more a game as he did a couple of years ago. That said, Robbie Gray has been absolutely sensational further forward so I can't really complain. And Chad did score a beautiful goal to sweeten things up.

I've always liked Clurey but he seems to have gone up a level recently. Great performance from him. Also glad to have Pittard back, and for a second I was really worried about Hombsch, who is, and I say this despite my blissful ignorance about the rest of the AFL, one of the best defenders in the game. I love the man and it would have been horrible to lose him again to injury.

Wines was his usual self, always hard-working and reliable, and I wish I had SPP's confidence when I was 19 - life would have been so much easier!

In Northalives defense, we are talking about eight weeks (seven games); and if I've read those numbers correctly, Gray haven't done so much with so little before in this season. He had a flawless performance against the Pies.
Hi GremioPower, your defense of Northalives is admirable! Mate, Gray is a superstar and has been for some years now. What could have been if he didnt destroy his knee some years back! ... He was one of the top 2 players in 2015 winning the coaches 'best player' award, then slipped a bit last year, but still produced some sublime football. In 2017 has had some groin issues, but that Carlton game was something special. He took them apart and could/should have scored over 10 goals if not for some dead easy misses, and some SHOCKING umpire decisions (see video below)

So that is why I spoke about having a short memory, because those games are very fresh in my mind still! Being a new Port Adelaide supporter, I have attached some videos for you to look at of those two games, and also his last two years highlight reels ... some truly breathtaking stuff!!

Enjoy:

.... I've always liked Clurey but he seems to have gone up a level recently .....
I was going to say how did you know him because he never got played. Thank heavens I checked that. Got a swag of games in 215 before cracking it properly in 2016 but I always seemed to see him in SANFL games. It will long be a mystery to me why he wasn't a serious (i.e. successful) trade target from other clubs during that time. FWIW when I was at our recent Geelong game I sat next to someone very close to him who named a Victorian club who is into him to go to them next year.

... I wish I had SPP's confidence when I was 19 - life would have been so much easier!
Yeah nah as they say. I'd have been bankrupt, had 4 children to 3 different mothers, and joined some f%^k-awful political party.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back