Review Round 14 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was literally Round 7, 2017 vs West Coast in reverse.

Round 7, 2017 vs West Coast:
View attachment 516964

Round 14, 2018 vs Melbourne:
View attachment 516965

Both games were decided by exactly 10 points
Thats pretty much what I was thinking as I walked to my car after game. In 2017 against both WCE and Richmond the stats like Friday might for Melbourne basically said the side that won shouldn't have. You just have to be more efficient inside 50.

I have come to the conclusion that stats in the middle of the ground are becoming useless in trying to find a correlation to who wins the game. Its what happens inside the 50m arcs that really counts. I'd like to see stats of kicking efficiency, contested possessions, pressure acts, tackles, loose ball gets, bounces etc inside forward and defensive 50 for both teams.

View attachment 516964

View attachment 516965

Thats pretty much what I was thinking as I walked to my car after game. In 2017 against both WCE and Richmond the stats like Friday might for Melbourne basically said the side that won shouldn't have. You just have to be more efficient inside 50.

I have come to the conclusion that stats in the middle of the ground are becoming useless in trying to find a correlation to who wins the game. Its what happens inside the 50m arcs that really counts. I'd like to see stats of kicking efficiency, contested possessions, pressure acts, tackles, loose ball gets, bounces etc inside forward and defensive 50 for both teams.

Agree, said the same thing in the game day thread.

What's the rule with concussions now? I know we copped a fine for putting hammer back on too quickly 2 years back. I was surprised when I heard on the replay that Jetta was back on the ground in under 10min after that head clash in the last. He wasn't looking too good when he left the ground

We are leading the averages for clearances this year and Melbourne are 2nd. It's surprising they beat us in that stat so easily but it could be an advantage of coming off a break and fired up against a team that was playing its third marquee match in a row.

Geelong Hawthorn and Collingwood are ranked 10 11 and 12 and Richmond is 16th.

View attachment 516964

View attachment 516965

And these games are Exhibit A and Exhibit B that if the vast majority of your i50 entries is the Hail Mary bomb to the hot spot, you will lose against a well-organised defence, no matter how many times you do it.

We are leading the averages for clearances this year and Melbourne are 2nd. It's surprising they beat us in that stat so easily but it could be an advantage of coming off a break and fired up against a team that was playing its third marquee match in a row.

Geelong Hawthorn and Collingwood are ranked 10 11 and 12 and Richmond is 16th.

Is that total clearances or clearance differential? We beat everyone for total clearances simply because our game style means we have more stoppages in our games than other teams.

The other danger factor with the Melbourne game was we had such an easy win the week before. It can create a less intense mindset, especially against a fired up opponent. Missing 2 set shots from 20m out doesn't bode well either ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check out the 1%. :eek:

Port the club for all bikies.
Of Fijian descent of course. :D

Our defence and their draft positions :

• Riley Bonner - 37
  • Tom Jonas - 16, rookie
  • Dougal Howard - 56
  • Darcy Byrne-Jones - 52
  • Tom Clurey - 29
  • Jasper Pittard - 16
  • Dan Houston - 45, rookie
Good in a way to think both Broady and Hartlett to come back into that at some stage in the future.

Good in a way to think both Broady and Hartlett to come back into that at some stage in the future.

Doubt Broadbent is in the best 22 anymore. Was a liability in 2017 even before his injury. I wouldn't be giving him a game ahead of any of our other small/medium backs.

Hartlett will add a lot when he comes back next year. Having this type of depth in the backline is a great problem to have.

4th sounds about right for us. Surprised the Dees are 7th. I suppose Viney has missed a fair bit of footy this season.
Melbourne are 1st by a long way for Contested Possession differential. That might be affecting your thinking they should be higher up the clearance differential ladder.

I had a look at Disposal Efficiency and was a bit miffed that we're in 14th.

Then realised top 5 are Collingwood, Fremantle, Hawthorn, St Kilda, and Brisbane. I guess DE% doesn't really tell you much at all.
That's because it includes all those nothing handballs.

Champion Data are arseholes they dont make kicking efficiency stats available to the public. But if you buy the AFL Record owned by AFL, who also own 49% of Champion Data and have the right to buy the rest of it, you will find the stats page that has lots of team and individual stats over 3 pages that says before start of this round

Kicking Efficiency stats
1. WCE 67.4%
2. Hawks 67.4%
3 Melb 66.4%
4 Coll 66.2%
5 Bris 66.2%
6 Syd 65.6%
10 Rich 64.7%
15 Port 63.2%
16 GWS 63.2%
17 NM.. 61.3%
18 GCS 59.8%

Melbourne are 1st by a long way for Contested Possession differential. That might be affecting your thinking they should be higher up the clearance differential ladder.
And we are first in centre clearance differentials, Melbourne second. Both of us not so good at stoppages, which makes you wonder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back