VFL Game Day Round 14: Williamstown vs Essendon, Point Gellibrand Oval, Saturday 25/06/2022 @ 3:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the replay:

10. Aaron Francis: Checked out. Some really lazy efforts and I think everyone knows that if he's on an AFL list next year it'll be for Adelaide or Port. Hopefully we can get some points toward Davey x2 for him.

12. Tom Cutler: Good without being great. Solid defensively and kicked it reasonably well coming from half back.

26. Kaine Baldwin: Presented all day and was probably unlucky not to get another couple of frees inside 50 to really have had a great game. Play one more week against Melican and then I'd be playing him in the run home at AFL level.

28. Alastair Lord: Has really grown in confidence after the bye, has been taking the game on a lot more since the break and hopefully that continues for the run home.

30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Was reading the play beautifully as usual but his hands were off yesterday, just didn't seem to be clunking them at all.

31. Zach Reid: Felt he was pretty quiet in all honesty, but seemed to be playing on smaller opponents rather than Ottavi. I think we should play him the rest of the year.

32. Josh Eyre: Did an okay job chopping McBride out in the ruck, but looks so much better as a defender than as a forward. Just play him there the rest of the year.

33. Brayden Ham: One of those guys that is a very good VFL player but not really up to AFL standard unfortunately.

36. Garrett McDonough: Looks better on the wing but does seem to get lost sometimes out there.

38. Cody Brand: Solid defensively but didn't really get many interceptions. I'd give him a taste of it soon as well based on form.

39. Patrick Voss: Presents well, loves a tackle and is a pretty good set shot as well. He's building.

41. Cian McBride: Did a really good job despite being undersized in the ruck (apart from that one error in the last). Loved his passage of play to get our first to Waterman.

45. Alec Waterman: Was probably our best with 18 disposals and 3 goals, and important ones too for the most part. If we don't offer him an AFL contract I hope we try to get him to stick around in the VFL program.

47. Jye Menzie: The kid has some tricks. Two stoppage goals, one from a front and square and another from a free kick. If he manages to be a 1-1.5 tackles inside 50 per game player then we have one on our hands.

49. Tom Hird: Yes, he plays more as a medium lead up type but he still puts on great pressure and does have a knack for scoring (even if it isn't always accurate). If he can get a couple 2-3 goal games I think we could see him press for selection later in the year.

Overall a good win where we controlled the play for the majority of the game. Alex Hird has some tricks and guys like Billy Cootee, Stefan Rasinac and Brad Bernacki have been great additions mid season. Sydney next week, another top 8 side and if we somehow manage to win we'll be 2 games (and plenty of percentage) out of the 8 surprisingly enough. Those Casey, Port and Frankston losses could come back to bite us unfortunately with the way we're coming now.

The only way I see Baldwin coming in at the moment is if we drop a ruck and get Wright to chip in.

The problem is I don't think either Draper or Bryan are fit enough to play 75%+ as a ruck at AFL level, so you would be playing Phillips which would be madness considering where our team is in its development. I agree Baldwin deserves a game soon of his form holds, as does Brand.

The only way I see Baldwin coming in at the moment is if we drop a ruck and get Wright to chip in.

The problem is I don't think either Draper or Bryan are fit enough to play 75%+ as a ruck at AFL level, so you would be playing Phillips which would be madness considering where our team is in its development. I agree Baldwin deserves a game soon of his form holds, as does Brand.
We have to be realistic though, are we probably a one ruck set up side in the future? Baldwin's form in the VFL is very good and I can easily see a forward line of him, Wright, Jones and Stringer working for the next 3 years, even if that means Wright has to spend 7 or 8 minutes a quarter in the ruck (which most seem to forget he's actually pretty good at).

Also I think you're selling Draper a bit short there. He can ruck 80-85% of game time IMO.

Good to see some development with some of the kids in the 2s. Brand has come a long way and looks like he could make it. One of he and Reid needs to get games in the AFL for rest of this year. Voss now that he is over his injuries is showing something too. Whilst a long way off, you can see improvement in Lord and McDonaugh. McBride is fairly useful too. And Baldwin is really stringing together some consistent games. It helps that with players back from injury across the list, we have more depth in the VFL side and are now very competitive. Add into that picking up Martin, Wanganeen and D'Ambrossio, it is the beginning of getting some depth.

Francis however seems done and will be interesting to see if Eyre stays on the list (but has done better since being moved back). You would also have to think Zerk's time is up. Does well in VFL but if they dont want to play him ahead of Reid and Brand when we needed someone bigger on Kennedy last week, then he cant really have a future.

Good to see some development with some of the kids in the 2s. Brand has come a long way and looks like he could make it. One of he and Reid needs to get games in the AFL for rest of this year. Voss now that he is over his injuries is showing something too. Whilst a long way off, you can see improvement in Lord and McDonaugh. McBride is fairly useful too. And Baldwin is really stringing together some consistent games. It helps that with players back from injury across the list, we have more depth in the VFL side and are now very competitive. Add into that picking up Martin, Wanganeen and D'Ambrossio, it is the beginning of getting some depth.

Francis however seems done and will be interesting to see if Eyre stays on the list (but has done better since being moved back). You would also have to think Zerk's time is up. Does well in VFL but if they dont want to play him ahead of Reid and Brand when we needed someone bigger on Kennedy last week, then he cant really have a future.
Zerk is contracted for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back