VFL Game Day Round 14: Williamstown vs Essendon, Point Gellibrand Oval, Saturday 25/06/2022 @ 3:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon will seek to win it's fourth straight VFL game when they meet standalone club Williamstown, who have only won the one game so far this year. The recent head to head between the clubs has been favoured to the Seagulls, winning 3 of the last five clashes however have been on a 5 game losing streak as the cellar dwellers of the VFL, whilst Essendon have won 3 in a row including two upsets against current top 8 sides.

Williamstown trailed from start to finish against Sydney, losing by a whopping 111 points as they barely fired a shot in anger the entire game. Former AFL listed Hawk Teia Miles had 27 disposals through the midfield for the Seagulls, whilst Daly Andrews, Darby Henderson and Michael Ktona kicked 2 goals apiece up front for them.

Essendon won it's third game in a row against a finals contender in Sandringham, leading from the 8th minute of the first quarter until the end of the game. Tom Cutler was prolific yet again with 31 disposals playing a mixture of half back and wing, whilst key talls Kaine Baldwin and James Stewart kicked 3 goals each, with rookie listed tall Patrick Voss returning from injury with 2 goals as well.

Honestly this is the first game I come into with any confidence this year. Essendon by 23. Possible side:

FB: Alastair Lord - Cody Brand - Josh Eyre
HB: Tom Cutler - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Garrett McDonagh
MF: Will Snelling - Alec Waterman - Brayden Ham
HF: Aaron Francis - Cian McBride - Tom Hird
FF: Jye Menzie - Kaine Baldwin - Patrick Voss
OB: Nick Bryan - Stefan Rasinac - Brad Bernacki
IC: Joe Atley - Sam Conforti - Dylan Landt - Jake Sutton
23P: Billy Cootee

Ground report.
Sunny with a few clouds.
Wind blowing across the ground to the Bay pocket so for those who have not been here is basically blows from one forward pocket to the opposite rather than straight down the ground.
Ground is is great nick.
Reid has pretzel legs.
Two ships have gone past .

Ground report.
Sunny with a few clouds.
Wind blowing across the ground to the Bay pocket so for those who have not been here is basically blows from one forward pocket to the opposite rather than straight down the ground.
Ground is is great nick.
Reid has pretzel legs.
Two ships have gone past .
And how many gulls in attendance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know but I am celebrating his 200th AFL game preemptively.
Tbh I’d debut him next week if he has a decent second half. Jones to the third tall forward slot. He just ultra competitive, applies pressure and has clean skills and decision making. What’s not to like.

Tbh I’d debut him next week if he has a decent second half. Jones to the third tall forward slot. He just ultra competitive, applies pressure and has clean skills and decision making. What’s not to like.
He deserves a debut sometime this year. Happy for him to learn to dominate in the VFL right now though. You can see the confidence in the young forwards building right now.

Willy look dangerous when we allow them to run with the footy.
We controlled most of that quarter using our height advantage.

Keep saying it every week but Tom Hird is a medium forward playing in a small forward body.
He is okay in open play but has zero crumbing positioning or ability when the ball is coming into the tall forwards.
Menzie has hit the score board through positioning off the contest and a good side step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back