VFL Game Day Round 14: Williamstown vs Essendon, Point Gellibrand Oval, Saturday 25/06/2022 @ 3:05 PM

Menzie has been god. Not high numbers but right positioning.

Would be good if we kicked to the forwards advantage. Baldwin has had at 4 where he has been well in front on the lead only to have it kicked on his head and he has to check his lead . Same with Voss. Good lead ball kicked too high or over his head .
Francis better that quarter. Ham better as well.

Is there a way to watch a replay of this? I usually stream, but missed it today.
You can watch any time via the VFL match centre 👍

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Wins a win!!

Attachments

• IMG_7451.jpg
    IMG_7451.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 51
Thoughts on Voss?

I saw him early in the year and was immediately struck by the power in his movements. Didn’t do heaps but looked and moved like an AFL player.
Looks good so far.
I would say he is a chance to play this year if he can string a couple more weeks together 👍

We had control of the game for probably 80% of the time. There where patches where Willy where a bit quicker than us and moved the footy well but in general we had way too much tall marking power in the back half .Apart from a short stint early from Waterman the VFL boys had midfield duty and they did really well. Atley , Bernacki , Rasinac where great. Cootee did a lot of the grunt work and tackles. We have found a really good hard working bunch of VFL players with these guys. We really should be doing everything we can to keep them on board as they have been a big part of this winning run.

10. Francis. Had a slow start in the back half and also had a few stints in the ruck. Was better in the second half but one thing that stands out is is general lack of second efforts. A lot of the time there is not follow up work . If he has a poor handball he just stops and drops his head . He will fly for a mark and then stop. It has been an issue for him on and off his whole career. Like the fact he did not shirk the ruck contests and was a bit more physical in general. Took a few good marks down back in the second half.

12. Cutler. Played just half back this week so he had to defend a lot more. Did not find a lot of the footy but was good with his voice and organizing the back half.

26. Baldwin. Just kept leading at the footy all day. Took some really strong marks . Kicked 3 goals and his second efforts are A+. 5 tackles. A few blocks. Would have had a massive day if we could actually kick the footy out in front of him when he was on the lead. Would have been at least 6 times where he was on a great lead and we kicked it high and he had to check the lead and the defender got the spoiling advantage.

28.Lord. Continues to play better. Numerous times he took the game on and showed a bit of dash from half back. On the improve.

30. BZK . Does what he does at VFL level. One of our best. Takes marks. Defends really well.

31. Reid . They have not played him KP the last two weeks. Has played flank or pocket on smaller players the majority of the time. He was solid. Took a few marks and scrambled in defense pretty well although a few times he got caught for pace. It is just going to be a bit of a slower burn for him as he is still a bit of a stick man. He has the tools. Just needs to build up the strength a bit.

32. Eyre . Has been 200% better in the back half and also had a run in the ruck and was not too bad there either. His defense is good. He is pretty mobile so he can play on medium size players as well at the talls . Seems to hold more of his marks playing back. I was not sure if we should be keeping him based on some of his forward work earlier this year but watching him the last couple of weeks I think he is 100% a keeper.

33.Ham. Played wing. Not much output in the first half but his running got him in the game after half time.

36.McDonagh . Also played wing all game. Kept at it all day but there where times in the day where he was simply not on the attacking wing and was not used a lot. Still has a few ball watching issues. Ended up being an okay game. He worked pretty hard up and down his wing despite not being used.

38. Brand . As usual his defense was very strong. Not a lot of the footy in the first half but he was rarely beaten and sometimes he had to take a smaller quicker player. Took some telling marks in the back half after half time. Another decent game.

39. Voss. The stats do not do justice to how well he played. Had a lot of leads but had the same issue as Baldwin with a lot going high or over his head. Plays a real physical game. Makes tackles. Very good set shot and a strong mark when they kick it to his advantage. Very mobile. Should be a good chance to play AFL if he gets through a few more VFL games and builds the fitness levels.

41. McBride. Struggled to match Downie early and it looked like he was going to get well beaten but to his credit he adjusted his jump at the footy and ended up being pretty effective. Around the ground work was solid. Ended up being a good game playing as the number 1 ruck.

45. Waterman . Started half forward and had a short midfield stint but played mainly high half forward. Good game . Worked hard all day.

47. Menzie. Was always in good spots. Did not fall into the trap of always leading at the footy and was able to capitalize on that with a couple of good goals. He has pace and a good step. Only thing i would like to see more of is a few more tackles inside 50 but he was very good. Should have kicked 5.

49 Hird. Another solid game but as I have said a few times he plays a medium forward style game so he is never in great small forward positions when the footy is kicked into the forward half. He runs into the leading lanes and is too close to the leading forwards a lot of the time. Where is is decent is when there is a forward half stoppage situation as he is good in close and makes tackles and he decision making is quicker than VFL level. If he was 188cm he would look like a very serious forward prospect.

Last edited:
After watching the replay:

10. Aaron Francis: Checked out. Some really lazy efforts and I think everyone knows that if he's on an AFL list next year it'll be for Adelaide or Port. Hopefully we can get some points toward Davey x2 for him.

12. Tom Cutler: Good without being great. Solid defensively and kicked it reasonably well coming from half back.

26. Kaine Baldwin: Presented all day and was probably unlucky not to get another couple of frees inside 50 to really have had a great game. Play one more week against Melican and then I'd be playing him in the run home at AFL level.

28. Alastair Lord: Has really grown in confidence after the bye, has been taking the game on a lot more since the break and hopefully that continues for the run home.

30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Was reading the play beautifully as usual but his hands were off yesterday, just didn't seem to be clunking them at all.

31. Zach Reid: Felt he was pretty quiet in all honesty, but seemed to be playing on smaller opponents rather than Ottavi. I think we should play him the rest of the year.

32. Josh Eyre: Did an okay job chopping McBride out in the ruck, but looks so much better as a defender than as a forward. Just play him there the rest of the year.

33. Brayden Ham: One of those guys that is a very good VFL player but not really up to AFL standard unfortunately.

36. Garrett McDonough: Looks better on the wing but does seem to get lost sometimes out there.

38. Cody Brand: Solid defensively but didn't really get many interceptions. I'd give him a taste of it soon as well based on form.

39. Patrick Voss: Presents well, loves a tackle and is a pretty good set shot as well. He's building.

41. Cian McBride: Did a really good job despite being undersized in the ruck (apart from that one error in the last). Loved his passage of play to get our first to Waterman.

45. Alec Waterman: Was probably our best with 18 disposals and 3 goals, and important ones too for the most part. If we don't offer him an AFL contract I hope we try to get him to stick around in the VFL program.

47. Jye Menzie: The kid has some tricks. Two stoppage goals, one from a front and square and another from a free kick. If he manages to be a 1-1.5 tackles inside 50 per game player then we have one on our hands.

49. Tom Hird: Yes, he plays more as a medium lead up type but he still puts on great pressure and does have a knack for scoring (even if it isn't always accurate). If he can get a couple 2-3 goal games I think we could see him press for selection later in the year.

Overall a good win where we controlled the play for the majority of the game. Alex Hird has some tricks and guys like Billy Cootee, Stefan Rasinac and Brad Bernacki have been great additions mid season. Sydney next week, another top 8 side and if we somehow manage to win we'll be 2 games (and plenty of percentage) out of the 8 surprisingly enough. Those Casey, Port and Frankston losses could come back to bite us unfortunately with the way we're coming now.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Watched the replay…enjoyed the commentary.

1) They likened the duel between Baldwin and Finbar somebody to the classic match ups between Knights and Vander!
2) When asked if Baldwin would make it at AFL level and scratching around for a comparison…the bloke came up with Digby Morrell!
3) There was a mention of two dogs shaping up for a rumble in front of the commentary box.

Good fun.

I’ll say it again - everything Voss does looks AFL level. Wish he did a bit more, but he looks the part.

Brand is massive. May be more ready to go than Reid at AFL level right now.

Menzies knows how to play small forward. Just need to see that he has some toe before I’m convinced though. Had some flashbacks to Carmello Dell’ollio - all the smarts and tricks, just a yard too slow for AFL level.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
After watching the replay:

10. Aaron Francis: Checked out. Some really lazy efforts and I think everyone knows that if he's on an AFL list next year it'll be for Adelaide or Port. Hopefully we can get some points toward Davey x2 for him.

12. Tom Cutler: Good without being great. Solid defensively and kicked it reasonably well coming from half back.

26. Kaine Baldwin: Presented all day and was probably unlucky not to get another couple of frees inside 50 to really have had a great game. Play one more week against Melican and then I'd be playing him in the run home at AFL level.

28. Alastair Lord: Has really grown in confidence after the bye, has been taking the game on a lot more since the break and hopefully that continues for the run home.

30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Was reading the play beautifully as usual but his hands were off yesterday, just didn't seem to be clunking them at all.

31. Zach Reid: Felt he was pretty quiet in all honesty, but seemed to be playing on smaller opponents rather than Ottavi. I think we should play him the rest of the year.

32. Josh Eyre: Did an okay job chopping McBride out in the ruck, but looks so much better as a defender than as a forward. Just play him there the rest of the year.

33. Brayden Ham: One of those guys that is a very good VFL player but not really up to AFL standard unfortunately.

36. Garrett McDonough: Looks better on the wing but does seem to get lost sometimes out there.

38. Cody Brand: Solid defensively but didn't really get many interceptions. I'd give him a taste of it soon as well based on form.

39. Patrick Voss: Presents well, loves a tackle and is a pretty good set shot as well. He's building.

41. Cian McBride: Did a really good job despite being undersized in the ruck (apart from that one error in the last). Loved his passage of play to get our first to Waterman.

45. Alec Waterman: Was probably our best with 18 disposals and 3 goals, and important ones too for the most part. If we don't offer him an AFL contract I hope we try to get him to stick around in the VFL program.

47. Jye Menzie: The kid has some tricks. Two stoppage goals, one from a front and square and another from a free kick. If he manages to be a 1-1.5 tackles inside 50 per game player then we have one on our hands.

49. Tom Hird: Yes, he plays more as a medium lead up type but he still puts on great pressure and does have a knack for scoring (even if it isn't always accurate). If he can get a couple 2-3 goal games I think we could see him press for selection later in the year.

Overall a good win where we controlled the play for the majority of the game. Alex Hird has some tricks and guys like Billy Cootee, Stefan Rasinac and Brad Bernacki have been great additions mid season. Sydney next week, another top 8 side and if we somehow manage to win we'll be 2 games (and plenty of percentage) out of the 8 surprisingly enough. Those Casey, Port and Frankston losses could come back to bite us unfortunately with the way we're coming now.
No way waterman would stick around if he’s delisted. Would get huge offers to play back in the wafl.

Back