Review Round 14: WIN vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember exactly what happened but I do remember thinking at the time that it was legit.

My memory at the time was a bit blurred, but I felt the same - more a sense of resignation rather than the oft-felt 'dafuq was that for?'

The commentary wasn't that bad. It was flat because we didn't play particularly well, just a stock standard four quarter game, and we still destroyed Geelong. How many missed opportunities for marks inside 50 were there? How many missed shots at goal that should have been converted? I reckon we left at least 8 goals on the table, and that's not counting the opportunities that we ****ed up in transition.

At the end of the game I wasn't excited, I wasn't happy, I was just like 'Cool...but we can play better.'

Watching the replay and **** me the commentary is absolutely terrible. Literally zero excitement about what was a massive upset, I’ve honestly seen lectures by Noam Chomsky with more enthusiasm.

We probably ruined a lot of multi's.

The commentary wasn't that bad. It was flat because we didn't play particularly well, just a stock standard four quarter game, and we still destroyed Geelong. How many missed opportunities for marks inside 50 were there? How many missed shots at goal that should have been converted? I reckon we left at least 8 goals on the table, and that's not counting the opportunities that we ****** up in transition.

At the end of the game I wasn't excited, I wasn't happy, I was just like 'Cool...but we can play better.'
It was mostly Brayshaw who reserved all his excitement for Geelong, and is just a terrible play-by-play commentator in general.

The commentary wasn't that bad. It was flat because we didn't play particularly well, just a stock standard four quarter game, and we still destroyed Geelong. How many missed opportunities for marks inside 50 were there? How many missed shots at goal that should have been converted? I reckon we left at least 8 goals on the table, and that's not counting the opportunities that we ****** up in transition.

Yeah I wasn't ecstatic afterwards, we should of won by 5 goals , we had the off all game

It was mostly Brayshaw who reserved all his excitement for Geelong, and is just a terrible play-by-play commentator in general.

I think that's more to do with where North Melbourne sits on the ladder and the fact that with 9 games to go, North Melbourne now sit 2 games and percentage out of the eight.

If Port had got flogged, Richmond would be in the eight, but they've got a s**t percentage so it would simply be 2 games out of the eight for the Kangaroos.

He'd also be thinking that if Port can beat Geelong, that means that they may have a spot in the eight sewn up...so he was barracking for the Victorian audience.

Watch the Cats walk it out the middle with ease now that Spud Lycett is our sole ruckman. Ryder and Gray in the middle is one of the few weapons we have. Lycett cannot ruck for ****. Never was a number one ruckman and never will be. This is Lobbe 5 year contract all over again

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thoughts?

... How many missed shots at goal that should have been converted? I reckon we left at least 8 goals on the table, and that's not counting the opportunities that we ****** up in transition ....
Just had a call from my Richmond supporting brother in law saying that about our missed opportunities. My memory from being there is Geelong must have missed almost as many. I'm yet to watch the replay and don't think I'll keep a tally but they missed a lot.
In the end I'm happier we were left with the challenge of grinding out a close one against a top team, IMO much more likely to develop the youngsters. We've proved that thumping West Coast and St Kilda meant SFA in the following games. Maybe a win like this will stick.

Last edited:
We dominated pretty much every stat and yet only won by 11 points.

I am ecstatic that we got the win, and the way that we played was as good as we have done so over a 4 quarter period for the year imo. Felt in control the whole way and were able to get the game on our terms even when Geelong pushed hard a few times.

But I am concerned that we played so well, Geelong were bog average at best yet we only won by 11 points. We have seen way too many times that goal kicking has cost us games. Just look at the Brisbane game this year for example.

We rely on playing near to perfection to win games. You need a system to rely on, but the good teams can still eek out wins at 75-80% capacity and win games. Right now we are most definitely not able to do that simply because our goal kicking lets us down. This must be rectified otherwise last night's game is the exception the rule under Hinkley.

We dominated pretty much every stat and yet only won by 11 points.

I am ecstatic that we got the win, and the way that we played was as good as we have done so over a 4 quarter period for the year imo. Felt in control the whole way and were able to get the game on our terms even when Geelong pushed hard a few times.

But I am concerned that we played so well, Geelong were bog average at best yet we only won by 11 points. We have seen way too many times that goal kicking has cost us games. Just look at the Brisbane game this year for example.

We rely on playing near to perfection to win games. You need a system to rely on, but the good teams can still eek out wins at 75-80% capacity and win games. Right now we are most definitely not able to do that simply because our goal kicking lets us down. This must be rectified otherwise last night's game is the exception the rule under Hinkley.
I think we get a little bit of credit there because Dixon was rusty , Wines a touch underdone plus the amount of points we kicked is not always the case .

Having shocked the league-leading Cats,
Ken Hinkley is ready to make more tough calls.

The Power is 7th on the ladder, but they could lose Dougal Howard and Karl Amon for off-the-ball incidents.
Tom Rockliff is set to return but will be forced to earn his spot in the SANFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit I didn't see a single trademark Selwood "Raise the arm, roll the shoulders and drop the knees high tackle" (duck). Could be that he just didn't get enough of the footy. Thankfully, for Geelong's sake, it's been replaced by the Dangerfield "Throw myself forward at full speed and bring the tackler with me" (dive).

Now all they need is a bit of Dodge and Dip and they'll have mastered Patches O'Houlihan's grand plan.
I saw one where he tried to duck and i heard the ump say no free trying to duck.

Geelong went into the game well aware of their poor record after the bye. I saw Dangerfield interviewed on Melbourne tv after the game, and he admitted the club tried a few different things during the break. People blaming Geelong's loss on their record aren't giving Port enough credit.

One significant difference I noticed about Ken's tactics for this game that may have been a success of sorts.

In Q1, Ken started with a Coke No Sugar as he normally does.

I noticed that by Q4, Ken had downed his Coke No Sugar and was heavily invested in to a can of Coke Full Strength.

I havent seen him use this tactic before, it appears to have had a positive influence on the result of the game however I'm not sure how sustainable it is.

I didn't watch his press conference so not sure if it was brought up at all or if Ken's demeanor was any different as a result of the increased sugar intake from that last can.

One significant difference I noticed about Ken's tactics for this game that may have been a success of sorts.

In Q1, Ken started with a Coke No Sugar as he normally does.

I noticed that by Q4, Ken had downed his Coke No Sugar and was heavily invested in to a can of Coke Full Strength.

I havent seen him use this tactic before, it appears to have had a positive influence on the result of the game however I'm not sure how sustainable it is.

I didn't watch his press conference so not sure if it was brought up at all or if Ken's demeanor was any different as a result of the increased sugar intake from that last can.

Ken probably treats himself to a regular Coke when we actually play properly. It’s his version of racking up a line of the other coke.

Just had a call from my Richmond supporting brother in law saying that about our missed opportunities. My memory from being there is Geelong must have missed almost as many yet to watch the replay and don't think I'll keep a tally but they missed a lot.
In the end I'm happier we were left with the challenge of grinding out a close one against a top team, IMO much more likely to develop the youngsters. We've proved that thumping West Coast and St Kilda meant SFA in the following games. Maybe a win like this stick.
We missed many more

Geelong went into the game well aware of their poor record after the bye. I saw Dangerfield interviewed on Melbourne tv after the game, and he admitted the club tried a few different things during the break. People blaming Geelong's loss on their record aren't giving Port enough credit.
There wasn’t as much hoo ha last week about us always losing after the bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back