Review Round 14: WIN vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 22: Ryan Burton of the Power tackles Brandan Parfitt of the Cats during the 2019 AFL round 14 match between the Port Adelaide Power and the Geelong Cats at Adelaide Oval on June 22, 2019 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by James Elsby/AFL Photos)
Ryan is everywhere. he doubles up lol

Problem is.. its Riley Bonner lol

Nope. Not that there was anything wrong with either of the hits I didn't think. The Geelong player was wide open after a hospital handball from his team mate so what Hartlett did was fair game.

Not having a go at you or your post but the issue is you see it so rarely now in modern day football, when a fair hit like Hartlett's occurs people are up in arms about it or claim it's dirty. It's been happening in footy for a long time. It's just rare to see it in modern footy.
Yeah, I'm the same. I didn't think there was much wrong with the Cameron one a few months ago. But memory must have been hazy as I thought Houston had the ball. Guess not.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nope in the big games against the best big time players, one on one marking a player works and it means simple players don't have to think about a hundred things to do. Marking one or two key players doesn't change the game style that much.

The dopey team defence we have been playing for last few years is that we panic and 2, 3 and 4 players fly in a pack mark contest, when they all don't have to, because we don't have confidence in our one on ones. The CD stats bare that out, and the smart oppo small forwards stay down rather than join in the contest, because they know they have the advantage on the ground. Plenty of times in the last few years when all our players jump into the contest, we have spoiled ourselves unnecessarily.

If we had confidence that our players were good in one on one contests, there wouldn't be this mad panic everyone jumping into the contest we have seen too many times in the last few years.

And I'm not talking about 100% of the time. I'm talking about too many critical moments of big games when panic sets in.

That and 2-3 of our players all going in for the same tackle on an opposition player and seeing it gleefully hand passed to one of their teammates 15 metres in the clear who has time and space to deliver into their forward line

That and 2-3 of our players all going in for the same tackle on an opposition player and seeing it gleefully hand passed to one of their teammates 15 metres in the clear who has time and space to deliver into their forward line

Hence my comment about holding shape being more important than trying to “help”.

Great Win
Really enjoyed some subtle changes down in Defence. Previously the majority of the defenders have just gone to a position in the back 6 and guarded the player nearby. Clearly Tom Clurey matched Hawkins but also noticed DBJ always went to Ablett when he was forward especially after the first quarter.
Both did exceptionally well and I thought it allowed the other defenders to pick the match that suited them. Subtle in that we did the rolling defender against Freo and Walters certainly took advantage of it. Really think these line coaches are starting to show they are happy to instigate change in personnel and game play which has to be a plus.
One on one defense instead of zone helps. looked much more effective.

Some running commentary from the AFL website's Match Feed from just before half time to end of the game.
  • Q2 26:40
    The second quarter has been much tighter than the first in both game play and the numbers. Port Adelaide leads this quarter despite only taking four marks for the term. For comparison, in the first quarter the Power owned the bulk of possession and took 34 marks.

• Q2 28:05
    Geelong makes it two goals apiece for the quarter as Gary Ablett provides the goal assist to Darcy Fort, who takes just the Cats' third mark inside 50. Prior to this match, Geelong averages 6.2 marks inside 50 per game prior to half time (ranked third).

• Q2 32:03
    Travis Boak has set up Kane Farrell to convert from the goal square after the siren. The former captain won seven clearances to half time, marking only the third time across 256 career games he has achieved that tally in the first half.

• Q2 32:03
    Port Adelaide has restricted Geelong to its lowest half time score since Round 1, and the Cats are facing their biggest half-time deficit this season. The Power have won 11 more ground balls than the Cats in the first half.
=========
  • Q3 04:30
    This first half of this match was punctuated by 47 combined ball ups and throw ins, well up on the season average of 32 stoppages around the ground per half. There have already been three such stoppages this quarter.

• Q3 06:45
    Port Adelaide has generated nine set shots in comparison to Geelong's five, however the Power have been somewhat wasteful from this shot type with 2.3 (15) and four misses.

• Q3 12:16
    The Cats have kicked the first for the second half against the run of play with the Power entering forward 50 on the first five occasions. This quarter Geelong has a kicking efficiency of 70 per cent, well ahead of Port Adelaide at 23 per cent.

• Q3 17:54
    Port Adelaide has had the supremacy in the ruck, with Scott Lycett (eight) and Charlie Dixon (four) combining for 12 hitouts to advantage, in comparison to just two in total by Geelong. The latest by Dixon set up the Karl Amon clearance, who in turn found Sam Gray.

• Q3 29:34
    With three players off injured within two minutes, Geelong has slowed the play in the past eight minutes. In that time the Cats have taken five more uncontested marks than the Power and owned 18 per cent more game time in possession.

• Q3 31:13
    Geelong's efficiency has helped it keep in touch at three-quarter time, with five scores from just seven entries inside 50. Port Adelaide managed 64 per cent time in forward half for the quarter and created 12 inside 50s, for a return of just 1.4 (10) and one miss.
=======
  • Q4 01:23
  • Connor Rozee has taken Port Adelaide's tenth mark inside forward 50 and kicked just its third goal from that source. Geelong has taken just four marks inside 50 for comparison, while both sides average 12.2 marks inside 50 per game in 2019.

• Q4 07:26
    It's been more of the same in the final term as the Power enabled their game with six more clearances (seven to one) helping them set up six more entries inside 50 (seven to one). Port Adelaide now have won 18 more clearances than Geelong.

• Q4 13:26
    Ablett's second goal was just the third major for Geelong launched from a total of 57 intercepts for the match. This season the Cats average 35.2 points per game from intercepts, ranked first in the league.

• Q4 20:48
    Port Adelaide has taken 15 marks inside forward 50 for the match, ten more than Geelong. The Power have had issues from the resulting shots all night, with just 4.4 (28) kicked from shots from marks.

• Q4 21:51
    Scott Lycett has been clearly the best big man on the ground, recording 24 disposals (one behind his career-best), winning 11 hitouts to advantage (seven more than Stanley) to go with nine clearances (also one off his career-best).

• Q4 25:59
    Tom Hawkins has kicked four goals in each of his past five matches but has had no impact tonight, with no marks nor scores. Prior to this match he had played 29 consecutive games kicking a goal, and has never previously been held to no marks across his 245 career games.

• Q4 29:33
    Port Adelaide has proven too good for the league leaders Geelong, comfortably leading at every change to win by 11 points. The Power won 16 more clearances than the Cats and held the visitors to their lowest score for the season.

• Q4 29:33
    The siren has sounded to end Q4.

Joel Garner, man.
Image result for Joel Garner west indies

View attachment 697690

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 22: Ryan Burton and Ryan Burton of the Power tackle Gary Ablett of the Cats during the 2019 AFL round 14 match between the Port Adelaide Power and the Geelong Cats at Adelaide Oval on June 22, 2019 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by James Elsby/AFL Photos)
Would be nice to have two Ryan Burton's in our side... :D :p

They could take care of the two Gary Rohans.

One on one defense instead of zone helps. looked much more effective.

I actually think in some games we can do both. Saturday was a case in point with one monster being tracked and the other being a smaller type (both high quality players) whilst also still having the ability to let the other 4 defenders zone off. It will invariably come down to personnel and match ups eg I'm thinking Bonner aint no one on one defender, but I thought the 2 we had on Saturday worked. Interestingly Burton said the week before that all the defenders had time on Walters when he went forward and we all know that quite clearly didn't work. Certainly with Janus though on defenders pushing up and providing attacking options just think we need to get the balance right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as we all loved the Hartlett hit, wasn't it fairly similar to the Charlie Cameron hit on Houston earlier on in the year where he was labelled a dirty sniper?

Absolutely nothing like it. Hartlett's hit was a tackle, his left arm comes around the chest of the Geelong player but he did hang on because the ball was jarred free, and in play. I'm gobsmacked that anyone could see in play contact as sniping.

I watched the replay yesterday with the sound on and Brayshaw I think it was was making comments about Joel "Big Bird" Garner. Someone quipped in with "his parents must have had a sense of humour" and Richardson comes back with "they probably didn't even follow cricket" :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that Joel has said that his father was a big cricket fan and named him after Big Bird deliberately.

I watched the replay yesterday with the sound on and Brayshaw I think it was was making comments about Joel "Big Bird" Garner. Someone quipped in with "his parents must have had a sense of humour" and Richardson comes back with "they probably didn't even follow cricket" :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that Joel has said that his father was a big cricket fan and named him after Big Bird deliberately.

Be fair. You're asking professional commentators and members of the football press to do research and know what they are talking about.

A bit unreasonable don't you think.

Yeah, I'm the same. I didn't think there was much wrong with the Cameron one a few months ago. But memory must have been hazy as I thought Houston had the ball. Guess not.

When Cameron was a Crow his hit on Houston was after disposal, of course no free kick for after disposal but Cameron later copped a fine from the match review.

Be fair. You're asking professional commentators and members of the football press to do research and know what they are talking about.

A bit unreasonable don't you think.
A bit like former Footscray player Luke D'Arcy saying that Connor Rozee is the youngest player to ever kick 5 goals in a game for "Port Power".

A bit like former Footscray player Luke D'Arcy saying that Connor Rozee is the youngest player to ever kick 5 goals in a game for "Port Power".

Ha, yeah I heard that. *er.

Our showdown special. Every time they just handball out of congestion and move the ball easily.

The next showdown will tell us a lot.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes it grates me too, it’s enthusiastically stupid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back