Preview Round 15 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Thursday 3rd September 2020, Metricon Stadium, 7.10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I’ve just about given up trying to predict this team.

Humiliated at the same venue only a couple of weeks ago, we’ve now produced our biggest win in the west – which could have been even bigger – against a team notoriously difficult to beat on their own turf. You can’t tell me it’s not an attitude thing on our part.

But there’s no point in celebrating, because we’ve put ourselves in a position where our last four games are effectively elimination finals.

First up, we host the somewhat resurgent Blues at Metricon on Thursday night. They will be quietly confident, given their own recent form and our inconsistency, plus the fact we have to travel from Perth to Brisbane, while they’re already settled in Queensland (as much as any team can be “settled” in this crazy season).

Unfortunately, we’ll be without Josh Kelly for a while after that nasty concussion, and he’s kind of hard to replace. Someone will probably be moved into the midfield to cover for him, with either Tom Green, Hately or Caldwell plugging the gap they leave. We held on OK after Kelly left the field at half time anyway, at least up until those junk time goals for Fremantle.

Jake Riccardi continued his great performance from last week and seems to be playing like the proverbial rabbit pulled from a hat. He’s provided the spark up front that’s been missing for a while. I think TOJ’s days as a Giant might be numbered.

There’s not much else to say, is there? It’s a simple equation over the next 3 crowded weeks.

I just hope we haven’t left our run too late.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Changes? Too hard to say. 5 day turn around you can assume there will be some players managed. Caldwell comes in for Kelly as a starting point

Davis is probably due back, but thekey backs have been great. Today especially

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Presuming Kelly is out with the short turnaround, you'd have to think Caldwell more likely than Green to come in - and get some more time on the ball. Unless Cumming was seen to be good to go and we rolled Zac into the midfield (which isn't a bad idea anyway!).

Hard to tell with Mummy - he was his dominant best today against a junior ruck, being our leading clearance winner, and Leon sung his praises last week when he was well beaten, so I'd guess he'll go around again against a junior Carlton ruck unless he's too banged up. Can't see we'll make any unforced changes.

Don't think Davis would be ready to come back - we need him back, but he needs to be 100%. Keeffe has been surprisingly good these last few weeks - the main trouble with us leaking points has been further up the ground.

Don't think Davis would be ready to come back - we need him back, but he needs to be 100%. Keeffe has been surprisingly good these last few weeks - the main trouble with us leaking points has been further up the ground.
When there's a match-up for Keeffe (a big forward that gets most of his possessions in the forward 50 - Taberner, Lynch, Cox, Hawkins, Dixon), he really is reliable. You wouldn't want to play him against the Dogs, Sydney (this year), Brisbane, Hawthorn (when at full strength, i.e. not playing Patton) or ourselves. West Coast was marginal.

He could do a job against McKay (Carlton) and King (Saints) fairly well in coming weeks as his experience has let him beat those big young talls comprehensively this year, but I'm not sure if Melbourne has a good matchup.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Presuming Kelly is out with the short turnaround, you'd have to think Caldwell more likely than Green to come in - and get some more time on the ball. Unless Cumming was seen to be good to go and we rolled Zac into the midfield (which isn't a bad idea anyway!).

Hard to tell with Mummy - he was his dominant bet today against a junior ruck, being our leading clearance winner, and Leon sung his praises last week when he was well beaten, so I'd guess he'll go around again against a junior Carlton ruck unless he's too banged up. Can't see we'll make any unforced changes.

Yeah I don’t think we would want to make too many changes... that said who knows how players pull up

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I think Hately will come in for Kelly, as he has a great tank and can play inside and outside.
Great to hear Toby will only get a fine. I was worried for a while.
Got some real depth in the wings now with Reid, Greene, Caldwell, Finlayson, OHalloran and the like ready to come in. Not forgetting Davis to come in soon.
Mummy will rest either this game or the next... possibly the next week with Sauce playing against the Crows.
Team:
Haynes Keeffe Shaw
Williams Corr Ash
Whitfield Coniglio Perryman
Greene Cameron HH
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Mummy/Sauce Taranto Hopper

Lloyd Hately DeBoer Kennedy

ps. How sharp does Bobby Hill look with ball in hand. As he gets stronger and a better tank, he will be electrifying.

Sorry I was just going from what all the past players are saying on Fox Footy. After what happened with Lynch it can only be a fine.
The half time commentator for Blues v Pies was just speculating it'll be a week, so I suspect that's what it's going to be. Greene is no Lynch (or Riewoldt for that matter, given Jack got "Greene's rule" changed to his advantage as well).

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Confirmed just a fine for Toby.

I think the only change should be Kelly for Davis if fit otherwise Hately.

Mumford can have a rest against Adelaide.He must be close to 100 games for the club.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Confirmed just a fine for Toby.

I think the only change should be Kelly for Davis if fit otherwise Hately.

Mumford can have a rest against Adelaide.He must be close to 100 games for the club.
I reckon he’s played 98 or 99 for us... could be wrong.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No changes will happen for this week bar Kelly’s replacement, and with the amount of mids we have in reserves it’s a crap shoot who goes in.

As for Carlton? We had a good win against Freo but now I want ruthlessness.
I don’t just want a win
IMG_0726.GIF

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hey guys,

How do you see Riccardi's JS in the team? Is he keeping Finlayson out of the team or do you think your forward line can function with both of them?
I reckon he's in for a while now - and if he keeps performing (not necessarily kicking 4 goals every week!) he'll extend that time in the team.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No changes will happen for this week bar Kelly’s replacement, and with the amount of mids we have in reserves it’s a crap shoot who goes in.

As for Carlton? We had a good win against Freo but now I want ruthlessness.
I don’t just want a win View attachment 949451
I don’t think we will do that in the next two rounds.... that last quarter from us on Saturday was an indication we will look after the ball and slow play in the 4th if we are well up. Makes sense... 5 day turn arounds are tough

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
1 game wont make the team a finalist and they need to carry on the form from the Dockers game to get the win and for the teams confidence and the Blues wont be easy beats
It will be interesting to see where Whitfield lines up as I think many like myself see him as making a massive difference to the teams ball movement when he is played as a HBF and I think he could swap with Perryman and Kennedy throughout the game depending on where they are most effective
Cripps and Weitering both tests for the game so hoping they take a cautious approach
Kelly out and questions on Mumford backing up IMO and I could see 1 or 2 others managed but I think it will depend on who is banging down the door

Hately and Green front of the cue to come in and maybe Buntine if Shaw needs a rest and Daniels/Hill are others who could be due for a rest

Shaw Keefe Haynes
Williams Corr Perryman
Whitfield Coniglio Kennedy
MDB Cameron Greene
Lloyd HH Daniels
Jacobs Hopper Taranto
Ash Riccardi Caldwell Buntine

I think the experience of Buntine gets him in and although he is purely a defender he allows the other HBFers to play on the wing or further up the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back