Autopsy Round 15 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Thursday 3rd September 2020, Metricon Stadium, 7.10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a chance to sleep on it and...Seriously why did we resign Cameron?
We were saved by a very poor Carlton side.
Give Mumford & Cameron a rest. Sauce & Kelly in.

Geese some blokes on here throw the boot in so readily when things look bad

everyone is entitled to an opinion and to support their own way but that’s a key reason I’m not online during games... it’s a pretty negative space sometimes
I always find the sky is falling posts in hindsight amusing when we go on to win
I find it therapeutic to rant on here during games because it lets me vent and means SFA in the scheme of things.

Having said that, I don't think there's anything I post in the game day threads that I'd walk back. I'd say the same today, just with a bit less emotion and a bit more substance (since I don't feel the need to get my thoughts out in real time).

I don’t think it’s the Captaincy. It’s the extremely long injury lay off and then the covid break after 1 return game.

We will get the best off cogs when things get back to normal(hopefully) next year.

I agree, if you are a bit out of touch, this is a tough year to regain it.

No proper training, short turn arounds, hub life, it would be tough to get into a rhythm if you lost it. Cogs has lost it, he was good last week though.

We got great play outta the youngun's; Pez, Binga, both Bobby & Ash played their best games yet, Lachie Ash travelling beautifully, Jake Riccardi did well,
Kenners improving each week, Hopper's got better, really only Cogs and Jezza are down.
Finlayson cops a lot of criticism, but it was his shepherd that allowed Pez to goal, it was a crucial moment.
Other moments;
Heaters' run down sliding save,
Riccardi's major from outside 50
(and lastly, Jack Martin's weird banana kick 1.30 to go, out in front, thank gawd he didn't elect the simpler to execute drop-punt. We got lucky there)

We got great play outta the youngun's; Pez, Binga, both Bobby & Ash played their best games yet, Lachie Ash travelling beautifully, Jake Riccardi did well,
Kenners improving each week, Hopper's got better, really only Cogs and Jezza are down.
Finlayson cops a lot of criticism, but it was his shepherd that allowed Pez to goal, it was a crucial moment.
Other moments;
Heaters' run down sliding save,
Riccardi's major from outside 50
(and lastly, Jack Martin's weird banana kick 1.30 to go, out in front, thank gawd he didn't elect the simpler to execute drop-punt. We got lucky there)
Kennedy had a couple good moments, most notably the effort for Finlayson's goal, but he directly turned over the ball 4 times very unnecessarily, the run down and 3 really bad kicks. He has some butcher in him.

Kennedy had a couple good moments, most notably the effort for Finlayson's goal, but he directly turned over the ball 4 times very unnecessarily, the run down and 3 really bad kicks. He has some butcher in him.
I think it was a bit of not being quite back to AFL speed yet. I was always pretty comfortable with his disposal - it was better than you'd think, same with his speed and run. I'm hoping last night was an anomaly now that he's back.

I find it therapeutic to rant on here during games because it lets me vent and means SFA in the scheme of things.

Having said that, I don't think there's anything I post in the game day threads that I'd walk back. I'd say the same today, just with a bit less emotion and a bit more substance (since I don't feel the need to get my thoughts out in real time).
Yeah I wasn’t having a go at anyone in particular. I also mentioned that people can support in their own way.

Happy for you to do you.

A few words from my favourite media source https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seas...rly-edition-gws-v-carlton-the-big-questions2/

DOES THIS PERFORMANCE SECURE NICK HAYNES HIS ALL AUSTRALIAN BERTH?

It was already secure, but with an intercept marking clinic, Haynes would have had selectors nodding their head and placing a nice little tick next to his name on their shortlist. A few weeks back we saw Sydney adopt a great strategy to nullify the impact of Haynes across half back, throwing Wil Hayward onto him as a defensive forward and negating Haynes’ most potent weapon in the process – his intercept marking. David Teague must not have been watching.

It seems strange that Teague, of all coaches allowed Haynes to roam free and do whatever he pleased across half back, given that Sam Docherty was given that leeway by opposition coaches early in the season and he saw first-hand how it impacted his own team when St Kilda threw Jarryn Geary into him. Haynes was averaging 3.5 intercept marks coming into this game. I counted either seven or eight of them against the Blues. Whilst that is absolutely brilliant by Haynes, it is both horrible kicking inside 50 by the Blues and just as poor decision making from the coaches box who decided that it wasn’t worth the effort to put someone on Haynes to keep him honest.

N Haynes – three votes
D Teague – zero votes

WHAT DOES BRENT DANIELS HAVE TO DO TO EARN A FREE KICK?

I reckon he should invest in some incriminating photos of some officials or something, because playing the ball, hitting the packs hard and being scragged as he does so do not seem to be something umpires take notice of. At one point he was obviously tackled high by Cam Polson and was pinged for holding the ball as a result. Meanwhile three of the first four touches for a “name player” came via free kicks, with contact in a couple of them minimal.

It must be frustrating for Daniels, who has provided the Giants with genuine pace, hits the front and centres hard and creates chaos when he gets the ball in hand in the forward half. You can see the mad scramble amongst forwards and defenders alike as he runs toward 50 – he makes things happen. At just 21, Daniels is often overlooking when people discuss the best small forwards in the game, but he is compiling a career that will see him emerge over the next two seasons as one of the premier smalls in the game. He’s quick, he’s smart and he knows footy. By the time all is said and done, he will be an All-Australian.

WHAT MOMENT BROKE THE GAME OPEN?

Daniel Lloyd, take a bow.

A couple of my Carlton buddies have been neither here nor there on Sam Petrevski-Seton this season in his role as a defender. I’m guessing that after Lloyd bodied SPS out of the contest en route to collecting and hitting Bobby Hill with a perfect kick inside 50, they would have been cursing him and demanding he be dropped. Such is the life of an AFL defender when they get beaten in a one-on-one.

Lloyd strikes me as a player in that 20-24 kind of range in terms of whether he gets a game each week. He is not guaranteed best-22, but with actions like this to set up Bobby Hill, he would be endearing himself to the coach and selectors more and more.

Runner up – the desperate spoil of Harry Perryman that led to him running into the open goal and securing the lead for his team. A massive team-lifter!

WHO PLAYED WORSE – MITCH MCGOVERN OR JEREMY CAMERON?

Cameron played a lot worse because the expectation of him is that he’ll have an impact. Jacob Weitering ensured he would have none, with an excellent defensive performance that will do his All-Australian claims no harm at all. There were points in this game where Cameron seriously looked like he did not give a rat’s arse about things. Some of his contests were half-hearted and his second efforts were non-existent. It looked as though he’d turned the corner last week, as he followed the lead of Riccardi and looked energised in the last quarter, but this week he looked lethargic again.

Is it the cumulative fatigue getting to players? Is the desire to right the wrongs of 2019 not motivation enough for Cameron? Was he thinking of fishing and resenting the fact he had to compete on a Thursday night? Or was he simply pantsed by one of the best defenders in the game?

WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING ABOUT STEPHEN CONIGLIO’S LEADERSHIP?

I am not really thinking much, to be honest. He had 15 touches in this one and a couple of huge turnovers that could have been the difference but for Carlton’s ineptitude in the forward half. Cogs was applauded when he re-signed with the Giants and made it known he wanted to be part of this club, but since becoming captain, it has become apparent that some more are born leaders, others have it thrust upon them, and others… well, it just doesn’t sit right with them.

Statistically, his year has been fine. Given the shorter games, you give him a marginal drop off in disposals, and his tackling and clearance work are close to where he was last season, but with leadership… he is following on the heels of a great leader in Phil Davis, and one that was prevented from being the leader the Giants needed due to injury, in Cal Ward. But is Cogs the right man for the job?

I don’t know the inner workings of the GWS footy club, obviously, but I know who I would follow into battle given their actions on the field. Joel Selwood, Trent Cotchin, Luke Shuey, Tom Jonas… I’m not yet sold on Cogs as the spiritual leader of this group. He doesn’t do those little things that would inspire me and that is such an important aspect of the captaincy. At some point in the next month, the Giants are going to need someone to stand up and make a difference. It will be then that we see if Coniglio can be a great captain as well as a great player, or whether he will fall into the category of being a captain in name alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back