Preview Round 15 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Saturday 30th June 2018, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, that went just about according to plan, except for JC’s careless/reckless elbow to the jaw of Harris Andrews, which almost certainly guarantees he’ll be out for probably a month. It may as well have been Cameron himself who was injured, at least we’re used to that.

The timing couldn’t be worse. We’ve got a season-defining run of games coming up, starting with Hawthorn this Saturday night at Spotless. This will be a dictionary-definition 8-point game. Win, and we’re almost sure to return to the eight. Lose, and it’s back to cursing the draw with St. Kilda.

At least the fog of disinterest that descended on the team after Round 6 seems to have lifted. We were never really in doubt against the Lions; the class differential was obvious and the effort was there. But it was victory at what’s likely to be a very high price.

Try to look on the bright side. The loss of a star player is always an opportunity for someone else to step up and grab their chance. As to who that might be is yet to be determined.

So, who replaces Jeremy? Well, to be blunt, there isn’t anyone waiting in the wings, so Leon is going to have to shuffle the pack. If Patton goes back to the forward line, big Dawson will continue to ruck regardless of who we’re up against. I can’t see Matt Flynn debuting in the next few weeks, and there’s no-one else we can try in that position, the cupboard is bare.

At least the NEAFL team had a great win today, and it was pleasing to see Adam Kennedy and Matt Buntine being named amongst the best-on-ground.

Maybe there’s no need for too much pessimism just yet. The midfield looks to be back in action and we’ve got enough scoring options up front. The most important thing is the marked improvement in overall effort. Work ethic and persistence are everything. We seem to have rediscovered that in the last few weeks.

But the equation is simple. We have to win at least two of the next four games to make the eight, starting with Hawthorn. It should be a cracker of a game, just what’s needed to warm up a chilly night at Homebush.

I’m backing us to win.

Well, that went just about according to plan, except for JC’s careless/reckless elbow to the jaw of Harris Andrews, which almost certainly guarantees he’ll be out for probably a month. It may as well have been Cameron himself who was injured, at least we’re used to that.

The timing couldn’t be worse. We’ve got a season-defining run of games coming up, starting with Hawthorn this Saturday night at Spotless. This will be a dictionary-definition 8-point game. Win, and we’re almost sure to return to the eight. Lose, and it’s back to cursing the draw with St. Kilda.

At least the fog of disinterest that descended on the team after Round 6 seems to have lifted. We were never really in doubt against the Lions; the class differential was obvious and the effort was there. But it was victory at what’s likely to be a very high price.

Try to look on the bright side. The loss of a star player is always an opportunity for someone else to step up and grab their chance. As to who that might be is yet to be determined.

So, who replaces Jeremy? Well, to be blunt, there isn’t anyone waiting in the wings, so Leon is going to have to shuffle the pack. If Patton goes back to the forward line, big Dawson will continue to ruck regardless of who we’re up against. I can’t see Matt Flynn debuting in the next few weeks, and there’s no-one else we can try in that position, the cupboard is bare.

At least the NEAFL team had a great win today, and it was pleasing to see Adam Kennedy and Matt Buntine being named amongst the best-on-ground.

Maybe there’s no need for too much pessimism just yet. The midfield looks to be back in action and we’ve got enough scoring options up front. The most important thing is the marked improvement in overall effort. Work ethic and persistence are everything. We seem to have rediscovered that in the last few weeks.

But the equation is simple. We have to win at least two of the next four games to make the eight, starting with Hawthorn. It should be a cracker of a game, just what’s needed to warm up a chilly night at Homebush.

I’m backing us to win.
Will be there.

Little Generals 1st game and as she has never seen us lose live I'm taking this as an omen that we will click and have a win.

Patton to step up and the defense and midfield to run riot.

Also 1st game where I have to be a good General so no alcohol. This could be difficult.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

General please stand up

1c84f916500313c466a06cffe29745de.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Interestingly, Gameday AFL was going on about Charlie Dixon and how well he was playing, helping Port to being a 'top 4' side this year. And then went on about Patton being crap this year. So I had a look at his stats, and compared them to Patton's, and found that there was very little between them - Patton actually better in disposals, effective disposals, marks, efficiency and clangers and just a whisker behind on goals scored. Now, I'm not saying Patton's had a great year because he hasn't, but there's certainly a lot of perception (and I suspect also a lot of bias from media people) in commentary.

That being said, we do need the General to lift and take control of the forward line while Jezza is out. I've said for a while that HH needs a spell - the problem being now I'm sure the MC won't want to drop him and be very inexperienced up forward. The question will be who replaces Jezza - do we stay tall or go small? I would think the various options are:
- bring one of the tall backs up front: the MC has named Tommo forward in previous games, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that and get him to play a similar (though obviously inferior quality) style to Jezza in roaming up the field and linking into the F50. That would also thin out the tall backline and allow another runner on the HBF. We've looked much better the last few weeks when we've been able to run; so I wonder if Kennedy might be an option to return, or otherwise Bunts or Cumming? Kennedy - if fit - would add to the resurgent orange tsunami.
- bring in Sproule (need to upgrade him first) to play a similar style to Jezza: I would have no problem with this but think it unlikely against Hawks
- bring in Bonar or Shipley as third tall who can mark and bring plenty of tackling pressure
- go small and bring in Brent Daniel after several good games in the 2s to feed off the crumbs: would also require our mids to be smarter in delivering it into the F50 and not just bomb the heck out of the ball.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Jezza (The Other) to replace Jezza.

His player bio describes him as: "A tall forward who can play deep in attack where he can be difficult to stop with his strong marking ability. Is athletic and balanced but also possesses a high degree of mobility away from goal." Sounds like what we want to me.

He went forward in the last quarter against Geelong and kicked 2 goals, doubling our tally for the night, kicked another from 50 yesterday very naturally.

Interestingly, Gameday AFL was going on about Charlie Dixon and how well he was playing, helping Port to being a 'top 4' side this year. And then went on about Patton being crap this year. So I had a look at his stats, and compared them to Patton's, and found that there was very little between them - Patton actually better in disposals, effective disposals, marks, efficiency and clangers and just a whisker behind on goals scored. Now, I'm not saying Patton's had a great year because he hasn't, but there's certainly a lot of perception (and I suspect also a lot of bias from media people) in commentary.

That being said, we do need the General to lift and take control of the forward line while Jezza is out. I've said for a while that HH needs a spell - the problem being now I'm sure the MC won't want to drop him and be very inexperienced up forward. The question will be who replaces Jezza - do we stay tall or go small? I would think the various options are:
- bring one of the tall backs up front: the MC has named Tommo forward in previous games, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that and get him to play a similar (though obviously inferior quality) style to Jezza in roaming up the field and linking into the F50. That would also thin out the tall backline and allow another runner on the HBF. We've looked much better the last few weeks when we've been able to run; so I wonder if Kennedy might be an option to return, or otherwise Bunts or Cumming? Kennedy - if fit - would add to the resurgent orange tsunami.
- bring in Sproule (need to upgrade him first) to play a similar style to Jezza: I would have no problem with this but think it unlikely against Hawks
- bring in Bonar or Shipley as third tall who can mark and bring plenty of tackling pressure
- go small and bring in Brent Daniel after several good games in the 2s to feed off the crumbs: would also require our mids to be smarter in delivering it into the F50 and not just bomb the heck out of the ball.

Thoughts? Preferences?
Agreed on Jonno, his confidence is lacking but if wasn't a top pick he be being lauded not haunted.
My preference is Tommo going forward, he plays high wing extremely well

Jezza (The Other) to replace Jezza. He went forward in the last quarter against Geelong and kicked 2 goals, doubling our tally for the night, kicked another from 50 yesterday very naturally.
Good point; he would be another option. Although I actually prefer him in defence as he helps the counterattack from defence; but certainly a forward option.

8 point game and glad it is at Spotless instead of Tasmania and hopefully a good crowd turn up to see a great 4 quarter performance, Hawks are performing well and I think it is in part in due to some of the younger players stepping up into the Clarkson system and also the goals from the small forwards always win the tight games for the Hawks and with the tall backline it is an advantage the Hawks have and also hope they rest Burgoyne and that should make it more even although the last 2 home games I have thought that haven't ended up well
the loss of Cameron will be hard to cover but I don't think it is impossible as the team already has an excess of talls imo and after the way Perryman responded I would like him to come straight back in, It will provide more room for Patton and HH in the F50 and maybe Tomlinson can rotate forward or one of the mids to see if that can provide a source of goals
Taylor hasn't done anything wrong in the games he has played but I am a believer of having a better balance of talls and smalls in the team but I think I differ from the coaches on that
I don't think it will be a pretty game with a tough contested game although the Hawks are good in that part I don't think the Giants have the forwards or outside mids to play another way atm
Cumming was quiet in the NEAFL so if he only played half the game or was playing as a tagger, I don't think we will see Daniels and Bonar this year, Kennedy needs more time in the NEAFL and Buntine a defender so I think it would move too many players around the field to fit him in and the other talls not ready so maybe just Perryman for Cameron this week

Shaw Davis Haynes
Whitfield Corr TOJ
Shiel Ward Kelly
TT HH Griffen
Langdon Patton MDB
Simpson Hopper Coniglio
Tomlinson Reid Taylor Perryman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby back? - the 3 goals from general hopefully gives some confidence going forward.

Cameron is a huge loss, but we win, lose or draw as a team, and the coaching staff need to back whoever comes in to replace Jezza. Jezza isn’t playing for multiple weeks, we have to deal with that, but we will be the better for it.

Bring on Hawthron, a very winnable game for us, but we need to bring a lot of pressure and enthusiasm to the game, I’d be challenging the youngsters to step up, hawthorns youth have done it this season, there’s no reason why our youth can’t do the same. C’mon Giants !!!!

Toby back? - the 3 goals from general hopefully gives some confidence going forward.

Cameron is a huge loss, but we win, lose or draw as a team, and the coaching staff need to back whoever comes in to replace Jezza. Jezza isn’t playing for multiple weeks, we have to deal with that, but we will be the better for it.

Bring on Hawthron, a very winnable game for us, but we need to bring a lot of pressure and enthusiasm to the game, I’d be challenging the youngsters to step up, hawthorns youth have done it this season, there’s no reason why our youth can’t do the same. C’mon Giants !!!!
I don't think Toby is ready yet, but happy to be wrong

Ideal opportunity to have a free shot at a young forward for a few weeks

I can see Daniels or bonar debuting this round. I think most teams are playing a two talks forward line so we just go back to the norm there with Patton and HH. If Tomlinson plays as mr fix it and spends time chopping out the ruck, time on the wing and even a few minutes forward when HH needs a breather then we shape up ok

I’m not a fan of moving if layshon forward. Agree he can kick goals there but think his kicking out of def has more impact

Ideal opportunity to have a free shot at a young forward for a few weeks

I can see Daniels or bonar debuting this round. I think most teams are playing a two talks forward line so we just go back to the norm there with Patton and HH. If Tomlinson plays as mr fix it and spends time chopping out the ruck, time on the wing and even a few minutes forward when HH needs a breather then we shape up ok

I’m not a fan of moving if layshon forward. Agree he can kick goals there but think his kicking out of def has more impact
Anyone who follows the NEAFL closely rate Sproule? I've seen him do some good things the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Anyone who follows the NEAFL closely rate Sproule? I've seen him do some things the last few weeks.
He's shown a bit, was in the votes this week, but doesn't dominate NEAFL like an AFL ready fwd would hope to for mine

Anyone who follows the NEAFL closely rate Sproule? I've seen him do some things the last few weeks.
Yes, I certainly do. Has been playing quite well this year, been in the 'bests' a few times, and very mobile. 10 games for 66 marks, 39 tackles & 11 goals - so probably goalscoring is the weakness. I've advocated in the past giving him a go in place of HH because I think he could bring more mobility & pressure. I just don't think we'll bring him in this week for Cameron, given the totality of circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back