Game Day Round 15 2013 - Brisbane v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it that my boy Patfull is allowed to be tripped, but the MOMENT anyone goes near the legs of a Suns player the whistle is blown?!

I swear my I.Q. drops every time I see an umpiring display like that.

The umpiring was average, not great but not terrible for most of the game and not blatantly one-sided except for a strange little patch in the final quarter just after Rockliff got laid out on the boundary line. For the next two minutes I swear the umpires missed everything, including about four HTB calls in a row.
Agree 100% I thought the umpiring was quite good for the first 3 quarters but after Rockliff went down with a huge bump the umpires said PLAY ON when the Suns clearly dropped the ball about 3 times and they missed that blatant throw from Luke Russell in our forward 50 around that time as well which was just ridiculous.

If this has been mentioned about Golby, my apologies...

...about an hour ago, heard Mitchs father being interviewed on SEN, apparently Mitch was coughing up blood after a heavy knock, doc checked him, was off for about 5mins, went back on....but was still coughing blood after the game and very sore, so was taken to have scans....he hadn't heard anymore from Mitch and was going to be talking to him later today.

His Dad said he is very happy in Bris, to which Finey said any time he gets sick of up there, please put him in a basket and drop him off on the front step of Seaford because he loves the way Mitch brings the ball out of the backline and the Saints could use him.

Bugger off Finey!....hope Mitch is ok. .....anyone heard anything?

My favourite little moment from the game this week came from Harwood with 4.30 left to go in the second quarter, receiving the ball from Adcock from a free kick and running straight through Broughton to break the tackle. This occurred right in front of me, and as soon he received the ball I yelled: "Straight through him Rhino!", and lo and behold, straight up the middle, knocking Broughton 2-3 metres away. Harwood is a hard man.

'Course, we coughed it up and this particular game's heel, Campbell Brown, goaled from outside 50, but the Harwood charge was a wonderful thing to watch.

My favourite little moment from the game this week came from Harwood with 4.30 left to go in the second quarter, receiving the ball from Adcock from a free kick and running straight through Broughton to break the tackle. This occurred right in front of me, and as soon he received the ball I yelled: "Straight through him Rhino!", and lo and behold, straight up the middle, knocking Broughton 2-3 metres away. Harwood is a hard man.

'Course, we coughed it up and this particular game's heel, Campbell Brown, goaled from outside 50, but the Harwood charge was a wonderful thing to watch.

That was definitely one of the highlights but probably somewhat forgotten because of what came next :(

Damn the use of that phrase, every time!

right-in-front-of-me2.gif

Just saw a replay of the Brown/Swallow "incident".

Jeeeesus, give us a rest. How'd that even rate a mention?

Dare I say it, but that was legitimately right in front of me. It was just so soft, everyone around me were just shaking their heads.

Loved all the players giving it to the Suns guys whenever they squibbed a contest.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

If you tag Zorko, you better do a good job of it or he is going to rub your nose in it like you are a puppy that just pooped on the carpet.

Did anyone see Zorko's hit on Tom Murphy from GC early in the 1st? He wanted a free, but he was clearly.

EDIT: Just watched it again. Zorko hit him right in the family jewels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I particularly liked about Rhino's game was how he kept his feet under pressure. And showed enough pace and ball-winning ability I would have thought to be considered "a midfielder" from now on. Hope so, particularly if Beamer is going to be missing for a few.

The umpiring was average, not great but not terrible for most of the game and not blatantly one-sided except for a strange little patch in the final quarter just after Rockliff got laid out on the boundary line. For the next two minutes I swear the umpires missed everything, including about four HTB calls in a row.
Yeah, I've been pretty hot on the umpiring, particularly the last 4 or 5 weeks (letting things go) but thought much the same yesterday, pretty average. It was nothing like last week (which should have been subject to a royal commission into match fixing and the umpires out right sacked).
Which ones?
I think it was in the last when Campbell Brown was tackled, should have been pinged, HTB. Just after the ball spilled and the free not paid, he dragged it in and he was re-caught, should have been pinged HTB. With no whistle forthcoming and with one arm available, he then scoops (read throws) the ball. Three infringements in three separate actions, all in about 10 seconds. That was one that stuck out as they umpire had 3 opportunities to penalise but chose not to. But overall, didn't think it one sided.
Why do you think that is?
Right at the minute, despite denials from the umpire's dept. there is a definite policy/effort to let things go, presumably for the "flow" of the game. Unfortunately umpires cannot determine which "soft" ones to let go and which to pay. In general, I believe the perceived better team is given an easier ride whilst the lesser skilled players and teams (who naturally give away more frees) are also less likely to be rewarded. In other words, who deserves a free is all in the head of the umpire based on prejudiced perceptions or misconceptions.
I accept that we as a team give away a lot of frees due to lapses in skill and composure. What I can't stand is players not being rewarded for a tackle or pressure on their opponent (something we do well).

Great coaching Haso, saw that and loved it .
Tarzan coudnt even stop the Rhino.

Did anyone see Zorko's hit on Tom Murphy from GC early in the 1st? He wanted a free, but he was clearly.

EDIT: Just watched it again. Zorko hit him right in the family jewels.

Yes, mentioned it at the time it happened...not sure if it will be looked at.....hope not.

Great coaching Haso, saw the Rhino do this and loved it .
Even Tarzan would of got flattened by the Rhino.

Harwood's run in the 4th quarter to pin-point a pass to Merrett which ends up in a goal. No reason why he can't be a gun inside midfielder. Has all the tools for it, just needs more positional awareness around stoppages and needs to be played in the guts.

Most of our midfielders have this problem and it often can be annoying to watch. Would like Harwood to get a full game in the middle.

hes a glenorchy lad our rhino , tough side of the tracks down there, bred to only go one way and thats thru anything its their way ! great to see him do so well

Saw quite a few servings go to Wilkinson. When he dropped the mark right on the boundary, I was close enough to hear Greenie and Beamer give him an absolute gobful that would have stripped paint.

It made for excellent listening.

Never like to bag a QLDer, but he really is a mediocre player. Sure, he's got pace, but...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back