Review Round 15, 2018 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Freo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win you blokes. Wanted it a lot more. Freo are no finalists but despite that you boys had great systems in place, showed amazing gut running, first to every contest. It was just an all round great performance. I felt it was a danger game because stats-wise both teams were fairly equally (except the w/l column) but I backed Freo only because it was at home.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the year, hope you guys can get a few more wins.

I can just see Purple's sliding doors for next week
IF - The Lions had beaten more than a Fremantle side without Fyfe
THEN - We'd be impressed, but they didn't. Still significant doubts on this team

Word out of Freo is that Fyfe (AKA Berry's bitch) faked the hammy to avoid being humiliated by Berry for four quarters

I just watched the replay.

it was a special passage of play in the second quarter where we drove then back with pressure act after pressure act, culminating with a walk in goal by McStay. Really inspiring stuff.

Reaction by at least some of the crowd:

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:think::huh::rolleyes::rolleyes:
That was a highlight and rapt to see Cutler in that passage too. Cutler and Raynor are going to be such an important part of our future.

I think the longer his hair has got, the better he has played.

New nickname:

Jarrod “Samson” Berry

Or Jarrod "McEnroe" Berry

GettyImages_81803145_trj81pgg_3bces03n.jpg

It's not diffucult to come to the conclusion that there really are two sets of rules in Perth.

One for the home team and another for the oppostion.

There is obvious lack of consistency in application of two rules in particular"

1) Holding the Ball and 2) In the Back

And then there was the blatant high scrag on Berry in the marking comtest in the lasrt quarter. Yeah we got a goal out if it anyway but how the **** there was no free kick paid there is a total mystery. Worst non-decision this season by quite a margin:thumbsdown:
I thought that the first half particularly, the umpires just ignored about 15 times where a Lions player was clearly held by opposition players. Like - arms fully around us, huge handfuls of jersey... and nothing. Seemed like that was their response to our pressure...

I agree. Thinking about where we are at now we have 7 players that I believe can become truly elite AFL Players on our list. I would put Raynor, Andrews, Berry, Hipwood, McCluggage, Cutler and Witherdon in that category. I think the midfield is covered, but I would love a bit more experience in the side after the next draft. Clearly we use early picks for best youth and then we look at who is available in that 25 - 30 bracket.
I think the club will splash a bit of cash to get a reasonably talented mature replacement for Beams.

Last edited:
I think the club will splash a bit of cash to get a reasonably talented mature replacement for Beams.
Hope so, but I wouldn’t mind if it was a key forward or back, rather than a midfielder.

I'm perfectly fine with our key position stocks. We've fone well to draft talls who take a few years to come on and then draft mids a couple years later who will come on a bit quicker and hopefully they'll all be peaking at the same time.

Talented mid in the 23-26 year old age bracket is the ideal target for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches thought we had the 7 best players on the ground. Surprised Clug didn't get more

FREMANTLE v BRISBANE
9 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 Jarrod Berry (BL)
6 Stefan Martin (BL)
4 Eric Hipwood (BL)
2 Cameron Rayner (BL)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
1 Lewis Taylor (BL)

Have been too busy to post... but got to wear my Lions scarf to work today which was fun. It was interesting to see Rayner who was drafted at pick one play against Bradshaw who went at 2 and Cerra at 5. I must admit I didn't think Rayner was the best choice last year from the footage I saw, but what was on display yesterday was his X factor, his ability to win games both in the center and up forward. I'm glad we took him ahead of those two... he really has the potential to develop into a matchwinning marque player for us.

I love watching McCluggage negotiate traffic... it's a delight to see him take them on and his runs through the centre were so cool and poised.
My favourite moment of many was Witherden's goal, which reminded me of Eagle's against the Hawks... a reverse spinning bomb that sails through the centre of the sticks. I thought we could have easily have won by more... our defense is now our strength, which is the hallmark of a top side. If anything we're a little too keen to give it off when shooting at goal... I thought both Oscar, who proved last year in the twos that he is a reliable shot at goal should have gone back and slotted the one he gave off to Raynor, and McStay had a very kickable chance that he tried to pass. But this will come with time.

I grew up with the Lions losing, so this is not new for me, but a win in a lean season is f***ing fantastic. I think we're a good chance to win at least 4 more from here on in this year, and I'm going to savour every moment of it. Go Lions!!!

Edit: Thanks luthor I fixed the spelling. Hate that. My bad. Never again.

Last edited:
Coaches thought we had the 7 best players on the ground. Surprised Clug didn't get more

FREMANTLE v BRISBANE
9 Dayne Beams (BL) (4+5)
6 Jarrod Berry (BL) (3+3)
6 Stefan Martin (BL) (5+1)
4 Eric Hipwood (BL) (4)
2 Cameron Rayner (BL) (2)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL) (2)
1 Lewis Taylor (BL) (1)
I'll give it a go....

... how'd i go?

Mitch Robinson would be a decent player if he didn't end up on the ground on 90% of his possessions
I really agree with this... in modern football you need to stay on your feet in contests. The days of diving on the ball (unless you can stand straight up again) are gone, especially with the rule where you slide in and take out the legs of the other guy. Falling over is a huge disadvantage defensively and has been an issue for us for a while. If you're on the ground your opponent can break clear and your ability to apply pressure and chase is gone. Robbo is still playing old style football in this respect, and it's a weakness in his game. Dayne Beams to a lesser extent. It's also a weakness for us generally... we go to ground too much during centre clearances and sacrifice our ability to apply defensive pressure. The best teams don't do it, they stay on their feet as much as possible. Anyway I suspect we're working on it, but it's one area of our game that we could significantly improve.

Back