VFL Round 15, 2018: Sandringham v Geelong - TBBO, Sunday 15th July, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the detailed report!

I'm surprised Coff played at half back considering his demotion of the VFL was so he could spend time playing midfield. I feel like he should either be playing AFL or only playing mid at Sandy. But it is great he has a good game because his past month has been underwhelming.

Probably explains why they played him in the easiest position on the ground. Get his confidence back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed report!

I'm surprised Coff played at half back considering his demotion of the VFL was so he could spend time playing midfield. I feel like he should either be playing AFL or only playing mid at Sandy. But it is great he has a good game because his past month has been underwhelming.

We are coaching the flair out of him , Richo had long chat with him at Quarter time .

Disappointing again at Sandringham that they continue to do same positional stuff ( sounds familiar )
throughout game , thought OBree clearly won tactical stuff , impressive persona too , went over to
3 Quarter huddle of the Cats (At least you can get close to hear , unlike Sandy these days )

3rd best for Frankston - he’s really progressing well isn’t he . Log

Like most I wrote him off at the start of the season , but he seems to have improved out of sight this year. Hope he gets another contract going forward . He deserves to be given another chance in the Saints side imo.

Go Saints

Lewy won’t even be 24 until November, that’s still a baby in ruck terms, and rucking solo for the Dolphins this year would have to be immense for his development.

Make or break stuff, but I’d be keeping him when neither Hickey or Longer has demanded a spot, and now the Lycett is looking at a shoe-in spot at West Coke after Natinui went down today.

Remember, Dean Cox wasn’t much chop until that age... not saying Lewy is Cox 2.0, but give him some time.

Lewy won’t even be 24 until November, that’s still a baby in ruck terms, and rucking solo for the Dolphins this year would have to be immense for his development.

Make or break stuff, but I’d be keeping him when neither Hickey or Longer has demanded a spot, and now the Lycett is looking at a shoe-in spot at West Coke after Natinui went down today.

Remember, Dean Cox wasn’t much chop until that age... not saying Lewy is Cox 2.0, but give him some time.
Nath wright has been on our list for 6 years. Im sure everyone else can get the same time afforded to him.

Look, he’s odds on to get delisted, but it won’t be for lack of trying to develop him.

He's a rookie now so I reckon that gives him another year. Not really sure now how we'll free up list spots tbh. None of the veterans look likely to go. Gilbo is still filling gaps so I'd have him likely to stay. Armo performing OK. Brown still seems to be first choice - he's not even 30 until December.

So presumably the actual senior list outs are from a pool of: Goddard, Freezer, Minch, Wright (definite). Koby and Robbo obviously might add to that if they can't get back. Maybe Longer gets traded, maybe even Bruce. Maybe White or Lonie are on thin ice a little. Not a lot of really obvious ones except Wright.

He's a rookie now so I reckon that gives him another year. Not really sure now how we'll free up list spots tbh. None of the veterans look likely to go. Gilbo is still filling gaps so I'd have him likely to stay. Armo performing OK. Brown still seems to be first choice - he's not even 30 until December.

So presumably the actual senior list outs are from a pool of: Goddard, Freezer, Minch, Wright (definite). Koby and Robbo obviously might add to that if they can't get back. Maybe Longer gets traded, maybe even Bruce. Maybe White or Lonie are on thin ice a little. Not a lot of really obvious ones except Wright.

Seriously think Lonie , Weller , Gilbert , Minchington, Wright , Stevens all done and Roberton should be
thinking really hard about life after football , sorry also think Goddard might be done too.

Nath wright has been on our list for 6 years. Im sure everyone else can get the same time afforded to him.

Was bizarre giving Wright that last contract and he's shown absolutely no reason why delisting him two years ago would have been premature.
However i agree that rucks are different and do take longer.

Seriously think Lonie , Weller , Gilbert , Minchington, Wright , Stevens all done and Roberton should be
thinking really hard about life after football , sorry also think Goddard might be done too.

Seriously think that Roberton and Stevens' doctors would have far more idea than you do, even though it may be the case.
Won't help us to lose all the players you list.
Getting better players helps us , losing the fringe players just makes space on the list.
We won't be getting in 7 new players so i can't see the likes of Weller or Lonie going just yet.
I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of Goddard either, he seems to be improving , after having what was a very serious injury.

Last edited:
Zero chance we delist that many.

Remember, you have to replace whoever you toss. We’re not picking up 8 players in one off season and getting all winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously think that Roberton and Stevens' doctors would have far more idea than you do, even though it may be the case.
Won't help us to lose all the players you list.
Getting better players helps us , losing the fringe players just makes space on the list.
We won't be getting in 7 new players so i can't see the likes of Weller or Lonie going just yet.
I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of Goddard either, he seems to be improving , after having what was a very serious injury.

Not actually going that way at all nothing related to football and sure he is getting medical , love football
myself just hope for Roberton’s sake the more conservative decision is made , he has whole life in front
of him.
There is no one more than me hoping Hugh Goddard gets the mojo back , but he is really struggling.
Quality person too highly motivated , wishing him nothing but the best.

Zero chance we delist that many.

Remember, you have to replace whoever you toss. We’re not picking up 8 players in one off season and getting all winners.

Could be right but think they are paying the price for extensions & little trading last year , that there will bigger
movement this year than last .

Could be right but think they are paying the price for extensions & little trading last year , that there will bigger
movement this year than last .

I posted this in the trade thread:

Due to our poor draft hand we have a bit of a conundrum with regard to making list changes at years end.

Going into this years draft with pick 3-6 & a handful of later 4th round picks but having a whole host of underperforming & uncontracted players means we may need to recontract players that really don’t deserve to be on an AFL list. With Koby & Robbo possibly retiring it compounds the issue. Trout & lady luck have put us in a very tough position.

Lonie, Weller, Wright, Minchington & Pierce should be delisted & Gilbert should retire IMO & Koby & Robbo may be forced to retire. We should be looking to trade either Longer or Hickey. That’s possibly 9 list changes but we don’t have the draft hand to accomodate that amount of changes. As such, Weller & Lonie may be safe & Gilbert may get another year. We may also be forced to keep two underperforming ruckman on the list thus making our list incredibly unbalanced.

The above has a detrimental effect on our ability to trade in players with list spots a premium. We will probably only make 5 changes which is clearly not enough IMO.

Thanks Trout, you campaigner.

Due to our poor draft hand we have a bit of a conundrum with regard to making list changes at years end.

Going into this years draft with pick 3-6 & a handful of later 4th round picks but having a whole host of underperforming & uncontracted players means we may need to recontract players that really don’t deserve to be on an AFL list. With Koby & Robbo possibly retiring it compounds the issue. Trout & lady luck have put us in a very tough position.

Lonie, Weller, Wright, Minchington & Pierce should be delisted & Gilbert should retire IMO & Koby & Robbo may be forced to retire. We should be looking to trade either Longer or Hickey. That’s possibly 9 list changes but we don’t have the draft hand to accomodate that amount of changes. As such, Weller & Lonie may be safe & Gilbert may get another year. We may also be forced to keep two underperforming ruckman on the list thus making our list incredibly unbalanced.

The above has a detrimental effect on our ability to trade in players with list spots a premium. We will probably only make 5 changes which is clearly not enough IMO.

Elshaugh didn’t handle trading...

Agree Trig, but I reckon we are gonna trade back in to draft. Expect a Dunstan/Ross type to be traded out, as well as 1 of Longer/Hickey if they can get anything decent for them

Its sad for Freezer and im pretty sure he knows he has lost all that pace he once had , thats why he has been trying to reinvent himself as an inside mid over the last few years , trouble is he has a lot of competition for an inside mid berth and i dont think he is quick enough to play as a small forward ,
As much as im not a Lonie fan i think if its a choice its Lonie every day

Pretty damning, Lonie has no pace, no depth in kicking and his bodyweight is a liability at AFL level.

But know we have Goat, Gresh, Billings, Sinclair and Battle... Difference this time is no Harvey, Stewie or Burke experience.
Yeah we have way way more now who are young and talented, but as you said, not those elite older types to guide them like we had then.

Just looking through our list, the group we have who were all born in 1995 is pretty useful and it's great that they all get to develop and grow together:

Billings
Acres
Dunstan
Sinclair
Steele
Austin
Marshall
Freeman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back