Review Round 15, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If one hand is a fist and makes contact with the ball then it’s still a handball. Doesn’t matter if the other hand is generating movement to send it on its way, so long as the fist makes contact to the ball. Neale just does it super quick with the right hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Neale's one? I don't see where you're getting that from
In jest, all good everyone does it. To my eye it is a double handed sort of half flick/scoop.

I'm sure the players would train to get handballs away in the blink of an eye and make them look legal, too hard for the umpires to call that sort of disposal as illegal, it's the obvious ones you'd like them to penalize.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With a bit more good fortune, that could have been a coming of age game for Rayner.

The effort was fantastic. Keep getting around him. The payoff is going to be great.
Agree his stats- 16 Disposals (8 contested) @ 56% efficiency- 3 intercepts but 5 turnovers -4 shots on goal ( 3 behinds including 1 poster+ 1 out on full)
7 score involvements includes 1 goal assist. 2 clearances, only 1 tackle. 13 pressure acts and 413 meters gained, both those considered as average. These are reasonable numbers for a small forward in the modern game.

I would be interested in his GPS numbers if anyone has access to them. Say Melbourne game compared to other games. I attended the game and he appeared to be in the midfield a little more than normal but that may not have been the case.

On the game itself it was good to have another win on a live free to air game. I am sure our sponsors are happy at the moment. Thank heavens our kicking for goal improved as the game wore on. With 10 minutes remaining of the 3rd quarter we had scored 4 goals 13 behinds. To finish with 15 goals 17 behinds at full time was great.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree his stats- 16 Disposals (8 contested) @ 56% efficiency- 3 intercepts but 5 turnovers -4 shots on goal ( 3 behinds including 1 poster+ 1 out on full)
7 score involvements includes 1 goal assist. 2 clearances, only 1 tackle. 13 pressure acts and 413 meters gained, both those considered as average. These are reasonable numbers for a small forward in the modern game.

I would be interested in his GPS numbers if anyone has access to them. Say Melbourne game compared to other games. I attended the game and he appeared to be in the midfield a little more than normal but that may not have been the case.

On the game itself it was good to have another win on a live free to air game. I am sure our sponsors are happy at the moment. Thank heavens our kicking for goal improved as the game wore on. With 10 minutes remaining of the 3rd quarter we had scored 4 goals 13 behinds. To finish with 15 goals 17 behinds at full time was great.
liked rayner down in back half (not sure on his role) it gets him more involved in the game
fantastic decision making and skills on him just in front of goal can be a bit wild and lacks the aerobic capacity

Need a gif of Berry’s bouncing handball. Unbelievable.

My first reading of that was that you wanted a gif of when he bounced the ball and didn't really get it back and was wondering why on earth you wanted to have *that* moment on replay. Then I read it a second time ... all good :$

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember when Dees fans said we had just “played in our grand final” when we beat them in the pre-season?

Such unearned arrogance.

lel.

Worst thing about them is how cocky they get. I remember sitting amougst them in that game late in the 2017 season @ the G. Most cocky bunch you'll come across.

If one hand is a fist and makes contact with the ball then it’s still a handball. Doesn’t matter if the other hand is generating movement to send it on its way, so long as the fist makes contact to the ball. Neale just does it super quick with the right hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Technically (IIRC) the fist needs to generate the momentum for it to be a legal handball.

Realistically the umpires don't care.

Practically you get Oliver's efforts yesterday.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Surprising how differently you see the game live vs. on TV. I actually thought Rayner was pretty good throwing his weight around and running through the middle. Also thought Lester was pretty poor with Petracca getting a hold of him early. Strange.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The over analyis of Rayner is bordering on pathetic. How bout Robbos numerous hack kicks even Hodge screwed up a couple of kicks even Andrews hack kicked out of the backline and he had a better option to hand pass, McCluggage missed a hit up pass to Hipwood when he was hot and kicked long to Bundy to a contest. Seriously!!

Yeah how about the 250 "OMFG" moments. LOL.. yet his are the only ones that get mention.

Sorry but kicking goals is the icing on the cake, so much more to the role than that. Yeah it would be great if he'd kicked 30 goals already but without him playing his role we wouldn't be doing as well as we are.
When you are a Full Forward you ‘role’ is to kick goals or to make a contest so your teammates can
Wasn't my bet. Popped up on Facebook
phew!

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It wasn't an ordinary game from Dan but the good thing now is that we can have 3 or 4 players down ,even our best players,and someone else steps up their own game . We've seen Bundy and Lewy do that in recent weeks , yesterday Charlie and Dan were a bit down ,Linc and Hippy stepped up . Harris looked really seedy but Hodgey and Gardiner really upped their defensive pressure.

Yesterday was the first game I haven't blown up at the umps. Did we get a good go or for once did they just make very few mistakes ? Barely noticed them all day
we got a good go.......I mentioned it earlier I think it is a louder crowd making a difference this week.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I haven't watched the replay yet, but at the ground he looked like a different player. His physicality was fantastic and did so many great things. The only negatives were his bad kicks in defence but Hodge game him a pat on the bum and sent him forward which means lesson learned. His pressure and don't argues were huge and honestly had a great game outside of a few small things. 3 shots at goal, 16 touches and 13 pressure acts is a very good effort. Had he converted it would have been a very good game. He is close.
What I noticed was when Answerth kicked his first goal ...........Rayner was first to greet him and he was twice the size of Answerth.......he will be a powerful beast.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan in the presser mentioning their mids and wearing them down with multiple combinations going through there for us gives me bit of confidence as it’s one thing to put some crafty plans in place but the fact we have the cattle to be able to pull the plans off - Very exciting.

Deep midfields will test us but right now being so healthy we stack up against any team in the guts.

Answerth is a player, really like the kid.
Enjoying Rayner getting up the ground and creating on the way back.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
When you are a Full Forward you ‘role’ is to kick goals or to make a contest so your teammates can

phew!
Shame you didn’t follow through with the ignore threat.

Mcstay has had one or 2 average games this season but otherwise has played his role very well.

JakePeralta

Senior List
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In jest, all good everyone does it. To my eye it is a double handed sort of half flick/scoop.

I'm sure the players would train to get handballs away in the blink of an eye and make them look legal, too hard for the umpires to call that sort of disposal as illegal, it's the obvious ones you'd like them to penalize.
I mean, that doesn't explain how he gets that specific rotation on the ball if he's flicking with his right hand. That's what amazed me because I thought the same initially. He could only get that spin on it by hitting across the bottom of the ball with his left hand. If it was a throw he would have to almost do a discus toss to get that spin.

JakePeralta

Senior List
Mar 24, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Need a gif of Berry’s bouncing handball. Unbelievable.
Ask and you shall receive

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AND THERE IT IS!

tbh i had been talking about it and thinking about it so much i started to believe it was a dream. thank you!

man it was a beauty

Back