Review Round 15, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting although good thing. We are one of the highest scoring teams.
Although different players score each week.Imagine if they all had a good game.
Over 3 goals in a game. Multiple 3+ only 3 games. Round 1, 6 and 15
Cameron Rnd 1,2,10,14
Hipwood Rnd 3,15
Robinson Rnd 6,8
Rayner Rnd 6
McStay Rnd 9
McCarthy Rnd 1
Zorko Rnd 15

Shame you didn’t follow through with the ignore threat.

Mcstay has had one or 2 average games this season but otherwise has played his role very well.
McStay has kicked 16 goals 12 behinds so far this season named as a full forward. McCarthy 14 goals and Mitch 12 goals. McStay hpas played a couple of fair games but has not done much for the rest. His stats reflect this. Yes he at times breaks packs and takes marks at times but for the size he is 1 kick and 6 handpasses is not good enough for a key position player. In some other games his stats are the same. I hope he can improve his performances because we need him in going forward.

When we were playing Benny Hill theme footy with Melbourne in the first half I heard someone scream out in desperation, “someone take possession. Anyone.”

When we were playing Benny Hill theme footy with Melbourne in the first half I heard someone scream out in desperation, “someone take possession. Anyone.”

sorry that was me lol

Replay time. Do I brave the first half or should I kick it off from the third?

Watch the whole thing. (i just did)

And watch Rayner's game....sure he had a couple of OMFG moments but they were more than compensated for by the really good stuff he did. The 45 meter foot pass to Linc in the first quarter was sublime.....pity Linc didn't convert the shot at goal.

He also got down and dirty with the contested stuff when required.

The sh!t canning of him by some here in the match day thread was way out of line

And watch Rayner's game....sure he had a couple of OMFG moments but they were more than compensated for by the really good stuff he did. The 45 meter foot pass to Linc in the first quarter was sublime.....pity Linc didn't convert the shot at goal.

The sh!t canning of him by some here in the match day thread was way out of line

Just watched the first half so far and noticed Cam doing a lot of nice things in the mid field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The over analyis of Rayner is bordering on pathetic. How bout Robbos numerous hack kicks even Hodge screwed up a couple of kicks even Andrews hack kicked out of the backline and he had a better option to hand pass, McCluggage missed a hit up pass to Hipwood when he was hot and kicked long to Bundy to a contest. Seriously!!
This was by far his most promising game of the year. He still made plenty of mistakes but the difference was that he actually impacted the game. Despite all his struggles he's still kicked 13.15 for the year and should have 20+ goals already given how easy most of the chances he's missed have been- not to mention the goals he's cost himself through dropped marks.

You could also hardly say anyone else from his draft is having an easy time of it aside from Kelly and maybe Sam Taylor. LDU's looked more like he could be a player this year but also has the lowest avg TOG in the league or something like that, nothing about Brayshaw stands out at this stage, Cerra's struggled a bit, Dow and O'Brien might even struggle to get a game for the Suns, Stephenson's a moron, Naughton's been massively overhyped and won't benefit from being forced to play as the no.1 KPF etc. It's not an easy transition and for a lot of players it seems to get harder in the second year probably due to heavier training loads and more being expected of them.
Technically (IIRC) the fist needs to generate the momentum for it to be a legal handball.

Realistically the umpires don't care.

Practically you get Oliver's efforts yesterday.
Neale definitely gets away with a few. He earns it though, he'd have to be the best handballer in the league or close to it. Oliver and his bullshit flick passes can * off though, w***er.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Neale 26
McCluggage 26 (17w, 9i)
Robinson 21 (20w, 1i)
Zorko 20 (3w)
J.Lyons 17
J.Berry 9 (6i, 3w)
Bailey 7 wing
McCarthy 6
Rayner 5
Starcevich 4 wing
Answerth 4 wing

Rucks:
Martin 25
McInerney 4

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Zorko 5
Neale 4
McCluggage 3
McInerney 2
J.Lyons 2
Martin 1
Robinson 1
Rayner 1
Answerth 1

1st Half - 12

Neale 12
McCluggage 10 (7w, 3i)
Zorko 9 (2w)
Robinson 8 wing
J.Lyons 7
Starcevich 4 wing
J.Berry 3 (2i, 1w)
McCarthy 3
Rayner 2
Answerth 2 wing

Martin 8
McInerney 4

2nd Half - 17

McCluggage 16 (10w, 6i)
Neale 14
Robinson 13 (12w, 1i)
Zorko 11 (1w)
J.Lyons 10
Bailey 7 wing
J.Berry 6 (4i, 2w)
McCarthy 3
Rayner 3
Answerth 2 wing

Martin 17

Notes:
- First analysed game this season where you've only had 5 players attend 50% or more of the bounces
- Most ever starts for McCarthy in an analysed game (either club)
- Equal highest percentage of bounces attended (89.7%) for McCluggage in an analysed games - this tied Rds 15 & 16, 2018
- Equal most starts for Rayner (with Rd 1) in analysed games this season
- Most starts for Bailey in analysed games since Rd 14, 2018 when he attended 15.
- Non surprisingly with Berry returning from a long lay-off, he received his fewest starts in an analysed game since Rd 5, 2017.
- Answerth's midfield debut in an analysed game

I laughed watching the replay when fage's was getting animated on the sideline in the final quarter and the players were totally calm and taking it in their stride. Especially Richy - it was like "don't worry Fages we got this under control".

Regarding the recent and ongoing conversations about the negativity of some fans (especially directed at individual players): there's a fairly obvious hypothesis that fan negativity has increased as a direct result of our team's improved performance.

Using a highly complex array of statistical modelling and sentiment analysis on ten years of big footy data, I've reached a mathematically conclusion. As our team has gotten better, the behaviour of our fans had gotten worse.

Troubled by this insight, last night I organised an emergency consultation with key members of the club's adminstration (including Noble, Fagan and Swann) as well as representation from the leadership group.

After reviewing a 37 slide pack containing key data, the group unanimously agreed there was indeed a direct correlation and that action was required. We discussed and dismissed the obvious but unrealistic solution of asking fans to adopt an 'enjoy being better and accept further growth will occur' mindset.

As a result, it was decided the best outcome was to stop winning and go back to the 2010-18 team form we're all accustomed to. This would ensure everyone's expectation would zero out and fan based negativity would decrease.

Expect official comms from the club in the coming days but I wanted to share the news and accept everyone's gratitude for solving the problem.

Agree Luthor and its not just Cam that cops the "free for all crap" that some brave BF posters feel they have the right to spew out of their mouth's. For a few weeks now I haven't gone anywhere near the match day thread and I can assure you that my time watching our boys play each game has significantly got much better. I don't have an issue with being critical of players who are under performing but the insulting way some deliver their message is a disgrace...maybe try avoiding the match day thread for a game or 2 is worth a try. It works for me.

A
I laughed watching the replay when fage's was getting animated on the sideline in the final quarter and the players were totally calm and taking it in their stride. Especially Richy - it was like "don't worry Fages we got this under control".

I wonder if the main advantage of coaching from the sideline is making the players accountable during the game.

Getting coaches feedback in the breaks clearly impacts, but without runners the players get less instruction so are therefore making more decisions on their own.

Knowing that you are going up be face to face with the coach at every interchange might help players stay focused. Also might mean they can ask questions and be confident in the reply - gotta think that runners sometimes got caught up in a Chinese whispers type communication chain.

This was by far his most promising game of the year. He still made plenty of mistakes but the difference was that he actually impacted the game. Despite all his struggles he's still kicked 13.15 for the year and should have 20+ goals already given how easy most of the chances he's missed have been- not to mention the goals he's cost himself through dropped marks.

You could also hardly say anyone else from his draft is having an easy time of it aside from Kelly and maybe Sam Taylor. LDU's looked more like he could be a player this year but also has the lowest avg TOG in the league or something like that, nothing about Brayshaw stands out at this stage, Cerra's struggled a bit, Dow and O'Brien might even struggle to get a game for the Suns, Stephenson's a moron, Naughton's been massively overhyped and won't benefit from being forced to play as the no.1 KPF etc. It's not an easy transition and for a lot of players it seems to get harder in the second year probably due to heavier training loads and more being expected of them.

Neale definitely gets away with a few. He earns it though, he'd have to be the best handballer in the league or close to it. Oliver and his ******** flick passes can **** off though, ******.
Stephenson is no moron. In fact, he & his family are all quality people. Making a mistake as a 20 year old young man isn't unusual for most. (even with an education program that spells it out for you) Given the obvious gambling addictions many players have/had, this might just be the hard message he needed before it spiralled into something much more serious. There is no doubt that Jaidyn is a gun footballer. Given his achievements as a 20 year old playing with the biggest club in the land thus far, I have no doubt he will do his time for his mistake and come back a better person & even a better player. Wish he was at the Lions.

Back