Review Round 15, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone see paramedics attending to a Gabba patron in section 41 or 42 on the weekend at the game? Don't know what happened there - I hope they're ok.

Yeah, they were a couple rows down from us. A lady was feeling faint or something, but she ended up fine and staying for the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did anyone see paramedics attending to a Gabba patron in section 41 or 42 on the weekend at the game? Don't know what happened there - I hope they're ok.

They were coming to revive brab after Eric kicked his 5th goal.

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
67-er here.

Section JJ.

Boss view......basically half way up near centre wing.

Mostly surrounded by Lions fans, although it can vary from game to game. Some of them are a bit vanilla but I can handle that. What annoys me though is there are one or two others that revert to bagging out our own players when things aren't going so great. One voice was whinging about Hipwood "doing nothing", until he hit that 5 goal purple patch. Then he shifted his attentions to Rayner.

That really P!sses me off.

I admit I get emotional and probably a bit loud and over-animated during the course of a game but I NEVER EVER slag off at any the guys wearing our jumpers. We're there to support them, not make them the objects of our frustrations. If we're frustrated and annoyed, just consider how they feel if they bugger up things they shouldn't.
67 Row LL
The number of times I hear “here we go again, kicking the ball backwards”. Spare me. Couldn’t help it on Sunday- called out some the Hippy haters.

braddsey

Club Legend
May 11, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But Hippy turned the game after half time , we were saying at the major break , not sure about Hippy , just not quite there and then bang.
great finishing , we need either him or McStay to do that regularly or at least have one of them to make the shots on goal count.
You could see our whole team lift when we were scoring goals , so it obviously taints the boys efforts in general play when we break down near to goal.
That's the next step , the question is can we get this right before finals time.
I wouldn't mind seeing maybe Keays for McStay or even possibly Walker , as I said earlier someone that can kick goals would be useful.
Pretty sure Keays would be an upgrade, not 100% on how Walker would go in front of goals as he's been defending.
I would love for McStay to kick a bag (well, I would love for it to happen after he signs a new contract).
We have enough goal scoring mids, that we only need one of our forward weapons to fire - and I suspect this is growing to be our real strength. With Charlie, Hipwood & Linc, one of them is a good chance to get off the chain in any given week.

This is why I'm not too fussed about dropping McStay, Hippy or Rayner when they've had bad games over the weeks. They are still learning to turn up week-in-week-out. Keep playing them and they contribute and then have a day out occasionally.

In the meantime, it's up to the rest of the team to keep sending the ball down there if they are missing goals... enough opportunities and they'll figure it out (well, I still have concerns about McStay's ability to figure it out in front of goal).

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would love for McStay to kick a bag (well, I would love for it to happen after he signs a new contract).
We have enough goal scoring mids, that we only need one of our forward weapons to fire - and I suspect this is growing to be our real strength. With Charlie, Hipwood & Linc, one of them is a good chance to get off the chain in any given week.

This is why I'm not too fussed about dropping McStay, Hippy or Rayner when they've had bad games over the weeks. They are still learning to turn up week-in-week-out. Keep playing them and they contribute and then have a day out occasionally.

In the meantime, it's up to the rest of the team to keep sending the ball down there if they are missing goals... enough opportunities and they'll figure it out (well, I still have concerns about McStay's ability to figure it out in front of goal).
N.Robbo kicked 5 in the NEAFL so wouldnt mind him getting a call up just for the fact that the Coward Cameron will wonder which Robbo will clean him up first....legit of course.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
In the first quarter Melbourne took a kick out from inside the goal square which went out of bounds with nobody touching it, is that not a free kick anymore? Ended up a boundary throw in.

Did they play on first?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the first quarter Melbourne took a kick out from inside the goal square which went out of bounds with nobody touching it, is that not a free kick anymore? Ended up a boundary throw in.
saw that and instantly thought it was a free kick lions i guess umpires just assumed he played on but he didnt/// kicked it while still in goal square

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Phew:p

...but a bit concerned, were you bored today?;)
bored maybe.. no just scrolled down from top of page and went whey are they not 100% total votes down the bottom.

You find this most weeks. Saints game 9 people did not vote for Cameron
Not sure I seen a 100%..
ok bored now look back over season
Neale 98.3% Crows 3 votes not for him :)
i understand top 5 and people can differ although you think on the weekend Zorko/Hippy make all the top 5's :)

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
It is no longer a free kick.

Source: Me as an Umpire.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In any case, I think the Melbourne player was well out of the square when he kicked it.

The rule change where you can basically run as far as you like before you dispose of it from a kick in, means that (logically, I suppose), you are only penalising yourself by kicking it out.

Although it does raise an interesting question.....if, in the opinion of the umpire, you "deliberately" kick it out from the kick in, does that constitute a free under the Deliberate OOB rule?

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In any case, I think the Melbourne player was well out of the square when he kicked it.

The rule change where you can basically run as far as you like before you dispose of it from a kick in, means that (logically, I suppose), you are only penalising yourself by kicking it out.

Although it does raise an interesting question.....if, in the opinion of the umpire, you "deliberately" kick it out from the kick in, does that constitute a free under the Deliberate OOB rule?

Yes, the umpire may seem a kick to be deliberate from a kick-in. Although, the likelihood of those circumstances occurring is highly unlikely.

Additionally, you can’t run as far as you like from a kick in. The new rule change allows a player to immediately run out of the goal square without having to kick it to oneself, and the fifteen metres starts from the part of the goal square where you exit. Though I will admit that running too far is not a strictly adjudicated rule.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

I watched the replay and he wasn't out of the square. Makes sense it is no longer a free cos that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
bored maybe.. no just scrolled down from top of page and went whey are they not 100% total votes down the bottom.

You find this most weeks. Saints game 9 people did not vote for Cameron
Not sure I seen a 100%..
ok bored now look back over season
Neale 98.3% Crows 3 votes not for him :)
i understand top 5 and people can differ although you think on the weekend Zorko/Hippy make all the top 5's :)
I think you’ll find some weeks that people essentially put in vent votes. By that I mean, they vote for the 5 worst players or just take the piss with their votes.

The one issue I have with the votes as they are counted is that the player with the most votes gets the 5 votes. Take this week, Hipwood would get the 5 votes, but I dare say he wouldn’t have been the majority of voters best player, which would’ve gone to Zorko or Lyons. I know for me, I went something like Zorko, Lyons, Neale, Hipwood and Martin in that order.

On the previous point, I think you’ll find Archie Smith receive votes for his game against Carlton which illustrates the point of players being voted for despite having horrible games.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
67 Row LL
The number of times I hear “here we go again, kicking the ball backwards”. Spare me. Couldn’t help it on Sunday- called out some the Hippy haters.

I'm basically non-confrontational, so I've never actually called anyone out for player bagging

I will however draw the line if anyone ever openly sledges The Selection Table. :drunk:

I think you’ll find some weeks that people essentially put in vent votes. By that I mean, they vote for the 5 worst players or just take the piss with their votes.

I've noticed this too. Occasionally you get opposition supporters taking the piss too, but in either case it works out to be pretty irrelevant.

The one issue I have with the votes as they are counted is that the player with the most votes gets the 5 votes. Take this week, Hipwood would get the 5 votes, but I dare say he wouldn’t have been the majority of voters best player, which would’ve gone to Zorko or Lyons. I know for me, I went something like Zorko, Lyons, Neale, Hipwood and Martin in that order.

This is an interesting point and it is a downside of the move to this structure. I guess that's the trade off for greatly increasing people who have a say in these votes. Plus it does tend to work out more often than not (and checking as I write this, Zorko's back above Hipwood by two votes now).

On the previous point, I think you’ll find Archie Smith receive votes for his game against Carlton which illustrates the point of players being voted for despite having horrible games.

Funnily enough he got more votes against Carlton (2) than he did against Hawthorn (1) where I thought he did quite well... Not that I'm biased, somehow being that only vote. :O

Back