Preview Round 15 2019: Saints vs Richmond - Sunday, 30 June, Marvel, 1.10 PM - Maddies Match Please Donate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember towner towelling up carlisle in 2017. If towner can do that at his size, i expect lynch to have a field day and get leather poisoning and sore feet from kicking bags of goals on sunday.

Hmmmm. It was Carlisle. Outside of Hurley the most overrated defender in the history of world sport

with the guys coming back from injury, we have pressure for spots for the first time this season. Rioli, castagna and bolton will be feeling it, with guys in the 2's, as will chol and soldo from balta and guys like ellis from our youngsters. we'll probably have jack back next week as well. perform or we have somebody that will. will be interesting to see how baker and Higgins go in the 2's. don't think either will want to be down there for too long.

As for Baker, I feel for him...has been in our bests in good and bad times....would be scratching his head

Reckon he might head back home
Straight swap for Cerra. :cool:

Why is Castagna’s spot never questioned???? I’d play Baker & Naish ahead of that pretender
s**t teams like Norf, Geelong and Adelaide have been too big for us the last few weeks, even in the smalls. With Bolton and Lambert coming in, that's a couple of short people. George is closer to medium than small - the difference in size and strength between him and Baker is bigger than the difference between Dusty and him. Baker is pretty good overhead, but George crashes packs, created at least one goal for Bolton against Freo when he took out Ryan and Cerra in a marking contest, leaving Shai free to shark it.

George's spot will come under threat when Jack is back and we continue to play a second ruck.

Naish plays wing and is out for Lambert.

Do we still need the second ruck though, when Jack is back? Can't have him rucking, both our tall forwards are running around nursing PCLs...
Answered your own question.

If I am reading this right, I suspect when Riewoldt returns the thinking is Balta plays back and shadows opposition relief ruck. Chol likely to make way.
That is one possibility. Looks like Balta is going to resume his backline education under Fly. But the role you suggest makes you reactive and lets the oppo kinda dictate your ruck rotations.

Balta playing back in the twos is probably designed to make him an option to play as the second genuinely tall defender we'll need against West Coast, Collingwood and GWS. It would be a highly unusual throwback to half a century ago to have a ruckman changing out of the backline. I think in September we will need that genuine second tall defender back there full time, with a second ruckman as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what do you reckon mate, can we expect much?

So many coming back into the side they’ll be rusty as farque

Possibly.

But as Tiger71 touched on, if there was 2 games the bring back all your players to try play them into form and gel, its these next two.

It still Carries an element of risk but we probably believe based on pure talent alone we should be good enough to win both those games while getting miles in the legs and getting on the same page.

I reckon we have really set ourselves for this. Players are frothing at the return of all these players and will be keen to put in a huge performance

As for Baker, I feel for him...has been in our bests in good and bad times....would be scratching his head

Every time we don't pick an interstate player we get the "oh great, now he's gonna want to leave" comment. Even though that's completely BS, if it happened to be true well then they can * off if that's their attitude. So we now pick players in fear that they'll go home? Please.

Possibly.

But as Tiger71 touched on, if there was 2 games the bring back all your players to try play them into form and gel, its these next two.

It still Carries an element of risk but we probably believe based on pure talent alone we should be good enough to win both those games while getting miles in the legs and getting on the same page.

I reckon we have really set ourselves for this. Players are frothing at the return of all these players and will be keen to put in a huge performance

Hope so. It’s a long bow to draw but at this point in the season I’d rather we go for it than try and manage our way into say like 8th spot and just make up the numbers

What a campaigner of a year

Not sure we're in a position to pick and chose when to bring players in against lesser teams, but at least you know they'll get plenty of the ball against saints & GC.

This so much

Rioli is a very lucky man...has been in very poor form...shouldn’t be in the side

Bloody hell he'd be a pretty weak character if he wanted to leave based on being dropped once in his second year of footy.

Can still say bitcoin.

Because bitcoins awesome

Be interesting to see where Balta plays in the VFL.
My guess is backline.
It's gonna be a decent VFL team this week.
Im assuming Beasley and Garth will be full back and center half back
Balta will play choly role full fwd changing ruck with CCJ

I'm hoping-

IN: Cotchin, Edwards, Astbury, Lambert, Short, Bolton, Soldo
OUT: Menadue, Butler, Balta, Higgins, Garthwaite, Naish, Baker

Naish and Baker stiff.

Broad, Astbury, Vlastuin
Houli, Grimes, Short
Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
Rioli, Caddy, Castagna
Edwards, Lynch, Bolton
Soldo, Martin, Prestia