Preview Round 15, 2019: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 30th June, 1:10PM AEST *MADDIES MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Tigers

Votes: 48 75.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
e2yojQJ.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Richmond

659783_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda played host to Brisbane at Marvel Stadium on Saturday afternoon, and put in one of their worst performances of the season with the Lions at one point kicking 13 goals to 1, including a 9 goal third term to run out 56 point winners.

Richmond are back from their bye, having lost to the Crows in Adelaide by 33 points the week prior.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Jake Carlisle, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Jonathon Marsh
C: Jack Billings, Sebastian Ross, Nick Coffield
HF: Dan Hannebery, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
F: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Luke Dunstan, David Armitage
I/C: Blake Acres, Hunter Clark, Matthew Parker, Nick Hind

Richmond Best 22
B:
Ryan Garthwaite, Nick Vlastuin, Dylan Grimes
HB: Connor Menadue, Nathan Broad, Bachar Houli
C: Brandon Ellis, Dion Prestia, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Jack Higgins, Jason Castagna, Dan Butler
F: Mabior Chol, Tom J. Lynch, Dustin Martin
Foll: Noah Balta, Jack Graham, Josh Caddy
I/C: Daniel Rioli, Sydney Stack, Patrick Naish, Liam Baker

Medical Room

687240_gl.jpg

Luckily there were no injury concerns for either side.

Preview

190613-MRV-Game-Details-Hero.jpg

Some footballing royalty will pull on the boots for a special once off event in Round 15 when St Kilda take on the Tigers in the fourth Maddie’s Match.

Maddie’s Match honours the life of Maddie Riewoldt. The community coming together is the voice for her battle against Bone Marrow Failure and for every person who continues to fight. With community support, the first Maddie’s Match in 2015 funded our very first medical research project, The National Aplastic Anaemia Registry.

The contribution from the footballing community enabled funding of this important access to information for researchers. We are now proudly funding 15 important medical research projects and with the work already achieved with the Aplastic Anaemia Registry, our research community was able to leverage two other major government grants, including one that now offers genetic testing to all people diagnosed with BMFS across Australia.

All of the projects we are supporting or leveraging, are providing more definitive diagnoses and leading to better treatment outcomes for patients. We have done this with community donations and they are already changing lives. It is this community who has provided a catalyst that is connecting researchers, leveraging efficiencies and creating collaboration for results for young Australians.

In 2018, Maddie’s Match raised $1.2million ($1million came from a Federal Government funding announcement). Funds were raised from donations, merchandise, functions and sponsorships of a “cash grab” novelty activation at the ground with celebrities.

This year, all of the same elements will leveraged to fundraise, with a new element; “Maddie’s Challenge” - celebrities will compete in two teams, physically across a number of challenges to raise as many funds towards our mission of a cure and to support a national collaboration via diagnosis registry, establishment of a biobank to collect and store tissue samples and importantly the governance and support of the Centre of Research Excellence in Bone Marrow Biology.

To play your part in donating to a fantastic cause, you can do either (or all!) of the following (Click the images below to be redirected to the relevant web page);

Purchasing a Maddie's Membership

Going to the Game

Purchasing Maddie's Merchandise

Attend a Match-Day Function

I urge all supporters, St.Kilda - Richmond - or otherwise, to get down to Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon to get behind a great cause for one of St.Kilda, Richmond and the AFL's most loved families. It will be a fantastic day out and your support does not go unnoticed.

St.Kilda coming into Round 14 were looking to continue their winning form against a finals bound Brisbane outfit at Marvel Stadium on Saturday afternoon. St.Kilda were sitting at 6-6 in the lead in to the game, only a game and percentage away from Brisbane who were clinging onto a spot in the lower half of the eight - evidently this was a must win game for both clubs. After a tightly contested opening half the Lions kicked into another gear, slamming home 13 of 14 goals including an incredible 9 straight in an abysmal third term for the Saints, with Brisbane having sealed the victory by 3 quarter time. It leaves the Saints in a perilous 6-7 position with 9 to play. If last weekend wasn't the biggest game of the season for St.Kilda, this Sunday afternoon in 'Maddies Match' against Richmond surely is.

In what was generally a very poor performance, second-gamer Nick Hind stood out amongst the rest - the rookie kicking 3 great goals from his 13 touches to be adjudged the Saints best on ground for the day.

Other notable performances included debutant Dan Hannebery (27 touches, 4 marks, 5 tackles), midfielder Jack Billings (23 disposals, 5 marks and 9 tackles) ruckman Rowan Marshall (37 hit-outs, 12 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles) and stand-in skipper Seb Ross (30 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles).

Richmond are in a very similar situation to the Saints in 2019, having been cruelled by injury to some of their key players and sitting just outside the eight at 7-6, making this Sunday's game all the more important. Whilst they haven't been their premiership-winning best, the Tigers have shown glimpses in their wins against Carlton, Port Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Essendon. However the injuries have played a key part, and their losses against Collingwood, GWS, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Geelong and Adelaide reflect that.

Prior to the bye the Tigers travelled to Adelaide and it has to be said that they stuck around for the best part of three and a half quarters before a late surge by the Crows won them the game. Despite the loss, Brownlow medalist Dustin Martin was in incredible form with 32 disposals, 9 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals in a stand-out display for the visitors.

Other notables included Dion Prestia (29 disposals, 7 marks, 8 tackles), Jack Graham (23 touches, 3 marks, 11 tackles) and defender Nick Vlastuin (24 possessions, 6 marks and 4 tackles).

Potential changes

580917-tlslargelandscape.jpg

After 18 disposals against Box Hill in the VFL on the weekend, half back Nick Coffield could make his return for the out of form Jack Newnes.

Other notable inclusions could be Darragh Joyce (21 disposals) and a possible return from injury for dashing half back Jimmy Webster.

Key Match-Ups

684628_gl.jpg

Dustin Martin
Bit of an obvious choice with Martin head and shoulders above most players in the entire competition. St.Kilda's midfield will be without Jack Steele, who has played predominantly on Martin in previous matches, so the Saints are going to have to put a lot of work into the 2017 Brownlow medalist if they want to give themselves ascendancy through the middle of the ground.

Daniel Rioli
Whilst Rioli didn't have a massive impact a fortnight ago against Adelaide (11 disposals, 2 goals) he will be ready for a big game against a St.Kilda backline that allowed Charlie Cameron to kick 5 goals against them last week. Richmond's small forwards spells big danger to the Saints if last week was anything to go by and Rioli is capable of big games.

Tip

678629_gl.jpg

It has to be said that the Saints were abysmal last weekend in what really was a must win game for the football club. With the scrutiny mounting on senior coach Alan Richardson, St.Kilda fell away badly in the second half and the long season seems to be starting to take its toll. If the Saints are to be considered for a finals finish this year, Sunday afternoon is a game that they simply must win - a loss would all but rule them out for finals contention in 2019. With that said, I still think Richmond's class through the middle and their damaging small forwards will be too much for the Saints to handle. Similarly, Richmond will be taking this game as season defining as well, sitting just outside the eight and really needing to beat teams below them to keep pushing for a top 8 finish.

Tigers by 35 points.

Thoughts?

Glad I'll be overseas for this one and can idly check the result a day or two after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll go to this game only because it’s Maddys match after that I won’t go until a change happens. 38 year member at the end of my patience. 60 + loss

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't it sad that is actually a reflection of how a large number of long term, diehards now feel. We all know The Cho is a dead man walking, just be done with it and let the club move on for gods sake....

I’ll go to this game only because it’s Maddys match after that I won’t go until a change happens. 38 year member at the end of my patience. 60 + loss

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think a lot of people will be sharing that sentiment.

Not far away from stopping following afl tbh. Many better things to waste my time on.

David A in VFL

Carlisle in defence

Savage rebounding defender

Ross VFL

Acres midfield

Clarke inside mid - I know he is still developing his tank bit we are not doing any favour to him by playing him out of position
Ross vfl. Funny. Clark inside mid. Funny. Savage is a rebounding defender. And more than half here wanted Carlisle forward. If he started back people would be saying he should be forward. I gather you want hind on the hbf?

Last edited:
Im driving 750kms for this game
Doing it only to experience a maddies day match as ive kinda eco'ed again based on some of the pathetic efforts on field and the absolute ******* numptyness decisions, sometimes non decisions from the coaches box

Newnes out
Kent out
Armo out

Plugger in
Triggy in
Malaka in

Could eat dimmies and drink tinnies on the bench and perform better than some blokes pulling on jumpers atm

Jesus h christ
This is the worst ive felt as a member in regards to direction as a club

Richmond by 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back