Autopsy Round 15, 2019: St.Kilda v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction, on current form, we’ll finish 3rd last just above Carlton and Gold Coast.. is that good enough after 6 years? it’s not even good enough after our shocking year last year..

The only question remaining is when to sack Richo.. we need a bit of positivity in the fan group and the playing group.. let them play, instinctive and exciting football.. have someone else in charge for the final month will do wonders.. Will check out of football until that happens, let’s face it, until Richo is moved on.. nothing will change.

It's not but that is where our list profile sits. We are in the few youngest lists in the comp, not many over 100 games, have no A graders let alone elite. It's probably about right. If we get everyone firing at on all cylinders and Stuv and Hanners get back to their best etc we are competitive.

We played tall forwards and we played small forwards but it all comes to nothing if the mids wings hb's and hf's don't rum enough.

If any of you were the two Saints "supporters" sitting on the wing on level three who spent the day waiting for someone to make a mistake so they could bag them, I'm glad you left halfway through the last qrt.
Don't come back - you are an embarrassment.

We are a dull side to watch.

In the first half we weren’t.
Played some very quick, exciting and dare I say it, fairly skilful footy.
I just cannot understand why we turned it around and seemed to completely slow down in the second half. It was demoralising after being right in the game.

Good signs from Clark ( his best game today), Coff, Hind and Paton. Marshall - it is just now expected that he plays really well. Play them all every game from now on. Long did some good things too.

Agree with Joffa, some head-shaking umpiring decisions. Players got no time to get rid of the ball before being called for holding. And at least 3 50m missed for bad delivery of the ball back to our players.

Last edited:

Agree with Joffa, some head-shaking umpiring decisions. Players got no time to get rid of the ball before called for holding. And at least 3 50m missed for bad delivery of the ball back to our players.

Umpiring was poor, but we got some very soft free kicks in return. I think it was umpired evenly (I haven't seen the stats) and I can't say we were hard done by. The umpires had nothing to do with our loss.
They were poor for both teams equally, I believe.

Plus a number 3or 4 draft pick mid and the midfielder we we get for Bruce plus a new ruckman to help Marshall plus the swap we get for Steven or Steven himself, so should be a lot more settled next year with any luck which we are certainly due .

A lucky St.Kilda is a contradiction in terms.

Was so tired of the radio commentators talking about the Tigers’ injury ravaged season!

Prediction, on current form, we’ll finish 3rd last just above Carlton and Gold Coast.. is that good enough after 6 years? it’s not even good enough after our shocking year last year..

The only question remaining is when to sack Richo.. we need a bit of positivity in the fan group and the playing group.. let them play, instinctive and exciting football.. have someone else in charge for the final month will do wonders.. Will check out of football until that happens, let’s face it, until Richo is moved on.. nothing will change.
At least there is one positive. A top three pick as everybody about us wins... maybe we’ll even get a good mid.

Some ideas:

Mckenzie > Young.. let Young play back pocket.. has speed to burn and tackle
It's not but that is where our list profile sits. We are in the few youngest lists in the comp, not many over 100 games, have no A graders let alone elite. It's probably about right. If we get everyone firing at on all cylinders and Stuv and Hanners get back to their best etc we are competitive.
I don’t disagree our list has holes.. Still think it’s been badly managed..

For example, every can see Longer and Pierce are so limited after 5-6 years on the list.. why didn’t we go out there and try to get a better ruck.. the level of complacency is obvious which leads to low standards... half of the team makes fundamental skill errors playing this taxing game style and yet the coach is too stubborn and arrogant to change it up so players can shine.. you can lose, but playing the way we’re playing is really disheartening and players go backwards fast because they are now measured on tackles rather than impact on the game.. which is goals for forwards and goals kicked on for defenders.. basically everyone gets a pass because everyone plays their role for the team... absolute garbage..

By the way - anybody who thinks we should have taken Petracca over McCartin is kidding themselves - he is ordinary - a turnover king - we were just unlucky that McCartin has a particular susceptibility to concussion. The poor fella.

Marshall is a number one ruck, arguably the third best in the comp after 14 games in the position. Roo is just about the best analyst in the game but he is wrong about this. Marshall isn't a forward who pinch hits in the ruck. He is going to be a dominant force.

I like Marshall in the ruck because it gives him a good excuse to follow the ball around the ground. If he's playing at full forward we're wasting his potential massively.
We would be insane to turn him into a full forward.

By the way - anybody who thinks we should have taken Petracca over McCartin is kidding themselves - he is ordinary - a turnover king - we were just unlucky that McCartin has a particular susceptibility to concussion. The poor fella.

That's the one reason I'm not super cut about taking Paddy with pick 1. It was always either him or Petracca and although Petracca is still getting games - he isn't the #1 potential everyone expected him to be.

Umpiring was poor, but we got some very soft free kicks in return. I think it was umpired evenly (I haven't seen the stats) and I can't say we were hard done by. The umpires had nothing to do with our loss.
They were poor for both teams equally, I believe.

I wasn’t blaming them for the loss, but consistency both ways would be good.
Why weren’t the obvious 50m paid though?

We have the talent, it's our game plan and coaching that stinks.

You can't tell me that Dal Santo and Goddard are more talented than Billings and Gresham, under GT Dal and BJ were told to take the game on, be positive,

Under Richo talented players like Billings and Gresham, and Acres for that matter, get suffocated under Richo's negative game plan of chip kicking sideways.

They second guess themselves instead of backing them to take the game on and utilising their talents, they might mistakes but the upside will outweigh it.

Richo coaches like he played, limited player that limits his players, we need a blue sky thinker like GT or Blight but we sacked them and appointed Richo.

Only St Kilda.

We have the smartest supporters run by the dumbest people, we need a revolt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Marshall in the ruck because it gives him a good excuse to follow the ball around the ground. If he's playing at full forward we're wasting his potential massively.
Absolutely. He has so many skills that are suited to being a true ruck. Has a tank. Positions himself well behind the ball to intercept but can drift forward and lose his opponent. He is a great clearance player and he even is a useful link up player. We lose all of that if he plays true forward.

Went from run and dare to slow and chip. 7.0 1st half. 3.10 2nd half.

The 2 very annoying Richmond supporters sitting right behind us were bewildered...…..they said when we moved the ball fast in the first 1 1/2 qtrs....we were all over them.

The constant chipping after that was doing my head in...…….I will say....at times they were waiting for a way into the F50.....it just wasn't happening.

For the record....I was F****** ropeable during most of that last 1/4.

That's the one reason I'm not super cut about taking Paddy with pick 1. It was always either him or Petracca and although Petracca is still getting games - he isn't the #1 potential everyone expected him to be.
We need to be very careful with Marshall.

If he gets injured do you know who comes in to ruck? Sam Rowe......

The 2 very annoying Richmond supporters sitting right behind us were bewildered...…..they said when we moved the ball fast in the first 1 1/2 qtrs....we were all over them.

The constant chipping after that was doing my head in...…….I will say....at times they were waiting for a way into the F50.....it just wasn't happening.

The stage was set when we chipped the ball sideways and backwards in the midfield with 30 seconds on the clock when we were 4 points up at half time.

I could understand that if it was 30 seconds before full time to get the win but why do that just before half time when we had a goal scoring opportunity?

It's madness.

Not only did it deny us a goal scoring opportunity, it sends a signal to to the opposition that these guys aren't trying to win, they are trying not to lose.

And look how the 2nd half unfolded.

For the first time we had all the kids in.

Hind, Clark, Coffield, Battle, Marshall & Parker have show us the future isn’t dire. They simply have to be played for the rest of the year.

Add King, Bytel & this years draft/trade and I’m happy.

Just have an empty feeling this year. The last two months have been draining.

As I posted the other day....we had a lot younger side in mid last year(thru injury)......we looked much much better for 2-3 weeks......the senior guys returned and it started going pear shaped again.....the above must play every game remaining.

Mikka84...…..draining's not the word.....my emotional tank read empty after last weeks game...…….kicking no behinds before half time was a novelty....when did that last happen????????

During RTB's days or even GT's reign.

Was waiting for it all to fall over today....and sure enough......

Exactly we went away from the formula that had us in front. As soon as we started going slow Richmond just sat back and waited for us to bomb it in, won it with numbers then sling shot it out which we have never been able to stop.

Richo has never had a feel or understanding of what's winning or losing games. The guy has the footballing IQ of a nat.

Last edited:
Watching us attempt even the most basic of skills is akin to having a Gerbil up your arse! 😫
Mildly curious at the beginning only for the itchy, writhing unbearable pain to overwhelm you and crush all spirit so as
To inevitably land you in hospital in total disgrace! 😖
So Richard Gere informed me anyway!

Thanks for the memories Cho you freckled, fraudulent turd you! :poo:
Your lasting legacy will be leaving us with 40 odd blokes who are so broken and in need of therapy that they are devoid of all enjoyment and love for the game
They have completely lost any ability on how to perform the most basic of fundamentals in life!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back