Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While I completely agree we need Payne in while Andrews is out, I disagree that we require him when playing against three talls. All year we have played as a defensive unit. It is very rare now that the ball comes in to a one on one contest, and when is does it’s typically Harris and he can handle just about anyone. We set up as a defensive unit rather than one on one. The amount of times one of our other defenders fly to help in a contest is unreal! We are a real unit. Payne to play that more lockdown role and Lester will become the interceptor.
I'd follow this logic totally if not for one thing: why would we trade decent draft picks for Adams? I have to assume it's because we wanted him to be the second tall KPD, and play lockdown so Harris could come off his man to intercept. Otherwise we may as well have just kept Josh Walker who is a better intercept defender than Adams.

Did this idea of defending as a unit only come in after Adams went down? And has it worked better? If the answer is yes, you'd think Adams' days as a Lion are numbered.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Top teams will take our structure apart, that's where we will fall short in finals in my view. Watch for Richmond to clear the forward line, place Martin and Lynch deep with Riewoldt leading out. To overcome these top teams, it would be nicer if we practice our tall defense structure against less well drilled teams.

If we are saying that this is a learning year and we are just making up finals numbers again then that's fine by me. I still think we could go deep in finals if we get our mix right.

If we played a tall backline we’d be too slow, if we played a smaller one we’re going to be stretch but it’s not that simple and the coaches know that.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Walker is becoming even more overrated in his absence than Cutler, Karnezis and Cornelius ever were.

I think Walker won one of his two selections in the AFL team of the week , something that McStay, Adams, Lester, Hipwood, Oscar and Rayner haven't yet achieved, when Harris was out injured. I cannot remember Cutler, Karnezis and Cornelius ever in our best players let alone being thought the best player in their position over the entire league by neutral observers.

Walker wouldn't have been cleared if we could predict the future, with two ruckmen and two tall defenders going down. This injury storm has hit us a surgical blow

I ask again, What is happening with Adams?

I cannot find anything on the web site. If he is right and the heat is off.

PS: Walker gets votes on the North Bigfooty site once again.

PPS: A mate asked me today why McStay shows absolutely no sign of improvement despite hitting the best years for most key position players. I have an answer. Does anyone else have an explanation?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Walker won one of his two selections in the AFL team of the week , something that McStay, Adams, Lester, Hipwood, Oscar and Rayner haven't yet achieved, when Harris was out injured. I cannot remember Cutler, Karnezis and Cornelius ever in our best players let alone being thought the best player in their position over the entire league by neutral observers.

Walker wouldn't have been cleared if we could predict the future, with two ruckmen and two tall defenders going down. This injury storm has hit us a surgical blow

PPS: A mate asked me today why McStay shows absolutely no sign of improvement despite hitting the best years for most key position players. I have an answer. Does anyone else have an explanation?

Adams has a team of the week selection

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

AFL team of the week is voted on by AFL journalists so is not exactly the best metric, but a 30 second google found the following from last year:

Adams:

Hipwood:

In 2018 Kane Cornes was doing team of the week so even less worthy of attention than it is. Also, pretty sure it has been discontinued for this year.

Literally no one though Walker was the best in his position in the league at any stage last year. If he was, why did he get dropped by Fagan and have Lester take his spot even before Adams returned?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
See below regarding Adams. Possibly why he is just listed as TBC
Taken from the Lions site 22/8/20-
LTI are usually for minimum of 6 weeks.

"Tom Fullarton will be retracing the footsteps of his childhood hero when he makes his AFL debut for the Lions against St Kilda tomorrow.
Fullarton was elevated from a category B rookie to the senior list this week to replace Marcus Adams who has been placed on the long term injury list."
However during the last 20 days of footy the AFL revealed a change.This may also include this next period footy festival
From AFL site 29/7/20

"CLUBS will have added flexibility for the upcoming 'Festival of Footy', with the AFL reclassifying players eligibility for the long-term injury list.
"With that in mind, it's understood the AFL has informed all 18 clubs that they will be able to place footballers on the LTI for six rounds rather than the usual six weeks."
Now of course Fullerton is injured but for how long? but that wouldn't matter i think?

So 6 rounds including the St Kilda game makes Adams available for the 2nd final game if he is fit.
Would be a big gamble to play him at that late stage after last playing in round 1 this year

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know why we're worried about what we would do if Walker was still here.

He's not . He's at North Melbourne.

You're not going to get trade decisions 100% right all the time . I don't believe we lost a whole lot there . I really hope all of our players who move on do well and improve. It reflects well on the rest of our list.

I don't think having Walker here now would make us any better chance on Wednesday either.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
You're not going to get trade decisions 100% right all the time . I don't believe we lost a whole lot there . I really hope all of our players who move on do well and improve. It reflects well on the rest of our list.

Oh why oh why did we ever let Polec go?

Oh wait!

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Top teams will take our structure apart, that's where we will fall short in finals in my view. Watch for Richmond to clear the forward line, place Martin and Lynch deep with Riewoldt leading out. To overcome these top teams, it would be nicer if we practice our tall defense structure against less well drilled teams.

If we are saying that this is a learning year and we are just making up finals numbers again then that's fine by me. I still think we could go deep in finals if we get our mix right.
Darcy is playing in Adams spot this year which is more of a lockdown roll and Lester is being that player who can play on talls/smalls which is what Darcy was last year. Swap Lester for Adams and we are set. Adams and Lester are similar heights but Adams has the ability to take players like Hawkins which Darcy isn’t equiped to do.
There is no other forward line that has the talent that Richmond do. West coast is close but they don’t have the athleticism that Richmond to. I’m comfortable with us being able to contain just about everyone with a fit Harris.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd follow this logic totally if not for one thing: why would we trade decent draft picks for Adams? I have to assume it's because we wanted him to be the second tall KPD, and play lockdown so Harris could come off his man to intercept. Otherwise we may as well have just kept Josh Walker who is a better intercept defender than Adams.

Did this idea of defending as a unit only come in after Adams went down? And has it worked better? If the answer is yes, you'd think Adams' days as a Lion are numbered.
I replied to this just above. That’s my belief anyway

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Yer Marcus Adams is done for the year unfortunately, no way we'd bring him straight in for a final, he hasn't even got on the park for a scratch match yet.
So a return of about 12 games out of approximately 43 games following 27 games out of 70 for the Dogs or 38 games out of 113 games across 5 seasons.

Sounds durable doesn't he.

Probably worth looking for another KPD this off season because this guy is completely unreliable.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
So a return of about 12 games out of approximately 43 games following 27 games out of 70 for the Dogs or 38 games out of 113 games across 5 seasons.

Sounds durable doesn't he.

Probably worth looking for another KPD this off season because this guy is completely unreliable.
Doesn't seem to be although I'm prepared to back in our rehab and conditioning staff, they would have performed their due diligence before recruiting him and thought they could get him right. He's only just turned 27 so if we get him right we can still get 4-5 years of good footy out of him, he may well still play an integral part in our impending 3peat.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Bugger, so Adams is done for the year. I was a fan of his drafting but it has gone pear shaped now.

I, a fan of Walker, wasn't annoyed at the decision to get rid of Walker in the off season. It's only that the injuries to two ruckman and two tall defenders, something totally unpredictable, means he would fit the bill perfectly now. He was obviously surplus to requirements at the end of last season.

Someone mentioned Polec, someone I never rated, but my best mate reckoned all along he was a gun. I delight in sending him a text every time Polec gets injured or dropped. My original post was a response to a post about Josh's worth to the side but now given the low probability of the perfect storm of four injured talls means he would be far more value.

We lack tall defenders, with some experience, which you could as easily blame Lester for as he has played a competent role down back on the third tall. We haven't had to experiment for two years.

Some have posted that our lack of injuries means that we haven't blooded enough new stock and now we may be found out but look at our new bloke this week. Coleman looked like he had played heaps of games. Let's hope the guys who have been given a game or two can rise to the occasion.

See below regarding Adams. Possibly why he is just listed as TBC
Taken from the Lions site 22/8/20-
LTI are usually for minimum of 6 weeks.

"Tom Fullarton will be retracing the footsteps of his childhood hero when he makes his AFL debut for the Lions against St Kilda tomorrow.
Fullarton was elevated from a category B rookie to the senior list this week to replace Marcus Adams who has been placed on the long term injury list."
However during the last 20 days of footy the AFL revealed a change.This may also include this next period footy festival
From AFL site 29/7/20

"CLUBS will have added flexibility for the upcoming 'Festival of Footy', with the AFL reclassifying players eligibility for the long-term injury list.
"With that in mind, it's understood the AFL has informed all 18 clubs that they will be able to place footballers on the LTI for six rounds rather than the usual six weeks."
Now of course Fullerton is injured but for how long? but that wouldn't matter i think?

So 6 rounds including the St Kilda game makes Adams available for the 2nd final game if he is fit.
Would be a big gamble to play him at that late stage after last playing in round 1 this year
iirc, you can put a player on the LTI and then elevate a rookie somewhat later on, so their may be some additional leeway on that.

But he's probably done for the year either way.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just lucky I suppose but I can't even remember having an issue with oppo supporters at the Gabba. A fella and his partner were a few seats away barracking hard for the Saints when we played them but it was all good natured .They obviously knew where the boundaries were and respected the fact they were pretty much surrounded by Lions supporters.
Our family have only ever had issues with Collingwood and Richmond fans. Fair dinkum when we play these teams we always and i mean always seem to cop someone in the next row behind us. Everytime we visit from Melbourne and play these teams we just seem to unfortunately cop the wrong ones. Even coming home on a 6.30am flight last year after the Richmond loss in the final we copped some comments from the tigers supporters in the row behind us. Seriously.

So we are currently 3rd on the ladder with a game in hand and 3 weeks to go and some on here are talking about a player who isn't at the club anymore.Sometimes just got to laugh along with the stuff on here.

we spend the vast majority of our time discussing very few players. They are players who are either underperforming to our expectations (hello dan, hello Eric) or the half a dozen fringe players.

We are so focused on them for years that we get quite attached and it’s not surprising that they pop up occasionally in their first year away from us.

They’ll eventually fade to a distant memory and a rare mention, but I don’t mind a bit of chat about them.

especially when the chat is more walker style than aishe.

Back