Autopsy Round 15, 2020: Hawks lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we are not the only club doing this you know

I never suggested we were. All I was saying is that what the players and staff are going through is not easy.

But seeing as you bring it up, just because other teams are doing hard doesn't make observations about the effect on the travelling group any less valid.

P

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
images.jpeg

Warpspeedo

Draftee
Oct 4, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sent the club some of my thoughts after this game last night.

Would be interested in your thoughts if you care to give it a read. It's not perfect so I expect some criticism :)

An open letter the Hawthorn FC football department.

Last night I watched our club complete its transition from all-conquering powerhouse, to the worst team in the competition.

Over the last four or five years – and this year especially – we as a club have grown increasingly used to being laughed at, made fun of, dismissed, and mocked for both our performances on the field, and the overall direction our club is heading off the field.
As a club member, and supporter, I take this on the chin. We have been an amazingly successful team in my lifetime, and I have been more than happy to bask in the reflected glory of our club’s success. I will continue to support the club now that this glory has faded.

My concerns for Hawthorn FC in its current state are many.

The current gameplan has been proven to be a failure, delivering only four wins this season so far, and 9 last year. I don’t pretend to be an expert football analyst, but the deficiencies of our current gameplan are obvious.
Playing one of the competition’s best ruckman as a defender simply has not worked. Our midfield is constantly, consistently, and comfortably beaten in contested ball, as they do not get the service that a premier ruckman delivers. We have one sitting at full-back.
Our playstyle is slow, predictable, and imprecise - we refuse to take any sort of risks, and would rather kick it long to the opposition ruckman 10 times a game than try anything else.

These flaws – along with many others – are not necessarily cause for great concern, as they can be fixed rather easily.
The major issue with our gameplan is that our coaching staff flat-out refuse to make any changes, at all. Ever.
We watch the team every week, and see the exact same issues play out, and hope against hope that something changes the next week. It never does.
Our coach is one of the best ever, and has plenty of credits in the bank. Unfortunately, over the last few years he has been spending those credits at a very fast pace, and is quickly running out.

Our recruiting and personnel also raise red flags.
The fact that moving our ruckman to a key defence position is even in the realms of possibility is a serious issue. Out of every player on the list, we don’t have one person who can fill that position to an adequate level? That seems ridiculous. To move a premier ruckman into defence is an absolute Hail Mary, last gasp type of option.
If this is truly the only solution to this problem, the how have we got ourselves in this position?

Our acquisitions and trading in the recent off-seasons indicate that we are playing for the now, rather than the future. We traded our best draft picks, and Ryan Burton – our brightest young star – to bring in players that might provide us with 3-4 good years, and nothing else.
The issue with playing for the now is that we will not win a premiership in that time. Our list is too old, with few young players exposed to AFL level.
Again, this is something the coach refuses to do – play the kids.
Will Day has been a great player for us, and has provided a desperately needed spark to our game. He is the best thing to come out of the year, and he’s only played 6 games. This is the direction we need to move toward, exciting young players that want to move the ball and take the game on.

Finally, we come to the main issue for Hawthorn members and supporters – communication from our leaders.

It’s no secret our current captain is not popular with supporters, and he hasn’t helped himself by being absent in his role as the face of the club - both on-field and off. I’ve seen more players from the leadership group appear in the general media, and club media than I have the actual captain. He has been completely invisible. This might be ok in a time where we are performing well and winning, but at a crisis time like this season, it is simply not acceptable.
Failing to give any off-field communication, captain Stratton’s only form of communication to the supporter’s is left to his on-field leadership.
This has been very noticeable in season 2020, due to its absolute non-existence.
His effort, skills, decision making, body language, and demeanour on the field speak volumes. He has given up. He doesn’t care. That’s what he is telling his members and supporters of the club through his actions on field. It simply is not good enough from the captain of the Hawks.

Our coach also offers little when it comes to genuinely communicating plans, changes, or club objectives to members. We hear the same thing every press-conference and the words have become hollow. How can we be expected to continually back the club when there is such a distinct lack of change? What are we to expect from the team? Why are we playing old, out-of-form players over young players? Why haven’t we changed one part of our gameplan, and just appear to be accepting defeats? What are we doing as a club to get better?
Answers to these questions are what members and supporters are crying out for.
I’m not expecting a detailed plan with tactics and an outline of a five-year progression, but we as members need something from our leaders to indicate that there is at least a plan in place, and we are working towards an objective. At the moment, the members are completely in the dark.

I look forward to this off-seaseon where change can be made. I don’t think sweeping changes across the board are called for, and that’s not what I am asking for. I have faith in our club, and the administration and coaches to turn this around. But we need to see and hear evidence that they can do it.

Clarkson said after a recent loss that he has one eye on the present, and one on the future. Well I can tell you that – for the moment at least - the club members have shut both their eyes tight.

We just can’t bear to watch anymore.

Yours sincerely,

Warpspeedo

Member ID: *********

Just on the Clarko excuses / reasons, I thought I'd give a perspective from someone who used to have to travel extensively for work.

I did so when the kids were young, so you've got stroppy kids and a stroppy partner (and who could blame her?).

It's not easy; living out of a suitcase for more than a few days gets pretty old very quickly, as does the "glamour" of travel. I only did it for a few weeks at a time; these guys have been on the road for months. I was pretty much all out mentally after 3 weeks away from home.I didn't have to worry about getting into a peak physical condition and banged around (it felt like it with some clients though!); these guys do, an on ridiculously short turnarounds (three games in 10 days!).

I also didn't have to get a swab shoved up my nose every few days to make sure I wasn't carrying a disease.

I do not envy them at at all. And having been through something similar but way less intense, I totally understand and support what Clarko is saying.

P
Only have to look as far as the club social media team's interviews with our players at various parts of the season.

Pretty much all the young guys have responded that they've enjoyed the hub experience and being able to bond with "all the boys".

But notice they don't even really ask the question to the older guys and when they do it's a far more calculated response. It's clearly been tougher for those with partners and family that haven't been able to join them.

Would be interested in your thoughts if you care to give it a read. It's not perfect so I expect some criticism :)

Last night I watched our club complete its transition from all-conquering powerhouse, to the worst team in the competition.

Over the last four or five years – and this year especially – we as a club have grown increasingly used to being laughed at, made fun of, dismissed, and mocked for both our performances on the field, and the overall direction our club is heading off the field.
As a club member, and supporter, I take this on the chin. We have been an amazingly successful team in my lifetime, and I have been more than happy to bask in the reflected glory of our club’s success. I will continue to support the club now that this glory has faded.

The current gameplan has been proven to be a failure, delivering only four wins this season so far, and 9 last year. I don’t pretend to be an expert football analyst, but the deficiencies of our current gameplan are obvious.
Playing one of the competition’s best ruckman as a defender simply has not worked. Our midfield is constantly, consistently, and comfortably beaten in contested ball, as they do not get the service that a premier ruckman delivers. We have one sitting at full-back.
Our playstyle is slow, predictable, and imprecise - we refuse to take any sort of risks, and would rather kick it long to the opposition ruckman 10 times a game than try anything else.

These flaws – along with many others – are not necessarily cause for great concern, as they can be fixed rather easily.
The major issue with our gameplan is that our coaching staff flat-out refuse to make any changes, at all. Ever.
We watch the team every week, and see the exact same issues play out, and hope against hope that something changes the next week. It never does.
Our coach is one of the best ever, and has plenty of credits in the bank. Unfortunately, over the last few years he has been spending those credits at a very fast pace, and is quickly running out.

The fact that moving our ruckman to a key defence position is even in the realms of possibility is a serious issue. Out of every player on the list, we don’t have one person who can fill that position to an adequate level? That seems ridiculous. To move a premier ruckman into defence is an absolute Hail Mary, last gasp type of option.
If this is truly the only solution to this problem, the how have we got ourselves in this position?

Our acquisitions and trading in the recent off-seasons indicate that we are playing for the now, rather than the future. We traded our best draft picks, and Ryan Burton – our brightest young star – to bring in players that might provide us with 3-4 good years, and nothing else.
The issue with playing for the now is that we will not win a premiership in that time. Our list is too old, with few young players exposed to AFL level.
Will Day has been a great player for us, and has provided a desperately needed spark to our game. He is the best thing to come out of the year, and he’s only played 6 games. This is the direction we need to move toward, exciting young players that want to move the ball and take the game on.

Finally, we come to the main issue for Hawthorn members and supporters – communication from our leaders.

It’s no secret our current captain is not popular with supporters, and he hasn’t helped himself by being absent in his role as the face of the club - both on-field and off. I’ve seen more players from the leadership group appear in the general media, and club media than I have the actual captain. He has been completely invisible. This might be ok in a time where we are performing well and winning, but at a crisis time like this season, it is simply not acceptable.
Failing to give any off-field communication, captain Stratton’s only form of communication to the supporter’s is left to his on-field leadership.
This has been very noticeable in season 2020, due to its absolute non-existence.
His effort, skills, decision making, body language, and demeanour on the field speak volumes. He has given up. He doesn’t care. That’s what he is telling his members and supporters of the club through his actions on field. It simply is not good enough from the captain of the Hawks.

Our coach also offers little when it comes to genuinely communicating plans, changes, or club objectives to members. We hear the same thing every press-conference and the words have become hollow. How can we be expected to continually back the club when there is such a distinct lack of change? What are we to expect from the team? Why are we playing old, out-of-form players over young players? Why haven’t we changed one part of our gameplan, and just appear to be accepting defeats? What are we doing as a club to get better?
I’m not expecting a detailed plan with tactics and an outline of a five-year progression, but we as members need something from our leaders to indicate that there is at least a plan in place, and we are working towards an objective. At the moment, the members are completely in the dark.

I look forward to this off-seaseon where change can be made. I don’t think sweeping changes across the board are called for, and that’s not what I am asking for. I have faith in our club, and the administration and coaches to turn this around. But we need to see and hear evidence that they can do it.

Clarkson said after a recent loss that he has one eye on the present, and one on the future. Well I can tell you that – for the moment at least - the club members have shut both their eyes tight.

Yours sincerely,

Warpspeedo

Everyone has a right to feel the way they do, particularly as a paid up member, but this is a pretty extreme take, and I don't think you should constantly saying "we" and "you speak for all supporters". I'm disappointed in the year but agree with very little of this.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yours sincerely,

Warpspeedo

tenor.gif

Warpspeedo

Draftee
Oct 4, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Everyone has a right to feel the way they do, particularly as a paid up member, but this is a pretty extreme take, and I don't think you should constantly saying "we" and "you speak for all supporters". I'm disappointed in the year but agree with very little of this.

Absolutely fair enough. The use of 'we' was done to be inclusive 'we' as in the wider Hawks family, rather than 'you' the club, and 'me' the member.

Maybloomer

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's all very well, but as has been demonstrated many times in sport over the years, confidence in yourself, your team mates and coach is not something you can just flick a switch and it will magically materialise. It is something built over time. If you implant that feeling that it's okay to lose, it may take a lot of work and time to remove that from our culture.

Surely you can still be at least competitive in losing. I think there must be a way of trialing some of the younger guys without becoming a complete train wreck which, I'm sorry to say, we have become.

I was pretty excited in the first half of the Bombers game, not from the game but the game plan. It was fast, direct, open and so vastly different I thought we were onto something. A release of the robotic shackles. And it worked. The 2nd half we went back to the Hawks of all the other losses. Why, I don't know. The Bombers tightened up and forced us back to our fumbly, backwards self? Probably. We played conservatively to protect a lead? Maybe. Fitness? Unlikely.

I really don't know why Clarko doesn't maximize the opportunity to get a head start on 2021 with a new game plan, I've seen nothing new in 2 years except first half v Essendon. Sideways, backwards, too many numbers to the ball, no forwards to kick to, bomb into crowded F50, chaos in back 50. You can have your best 22 in but it won't stand up in a poor game plan. It's no coincidence our best, most damaging players this year are those that take the game on. Frost, Breust, Gunners, Day, Sicily, Scrimshaw. Our worst are our structured robots. Frawley, Stratton, Shiels. Our mids are struggling because they're trying to drive in traffic that's heavier than it should be. TOM, JOM, Wingard, Worpel. Game plan puts them in Sydney Road, Coburg on pension day when the SatNav says freeway.

If I'm having a crap game of golf I don't waste it. I try something different, take some risks, experiment with a new shot. The game's shot anyway but I might write some cheques I can cash when it matters. 2020 doesn't matter now. Don't waste it Clarko

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
I really dont know what people expect Clarko to say at pressers.
If he comes out and publicly pummels the players he risks losing the group .

People want us playing youth but what youth will want to stay at a club were your coach publicly blasts the players .
Also sends a crappy message about to any draftees coming in.

Him hinting last night that he wanted to 'smoke' the players or whatever he said is a pretty good indicator of where we are at.
He is frustrated as anyone .

But emotionally responding just because supporters want to hear it isnt a solution , in fact its detrimental to the players and the club.

We have had a terrible season , pony up take our medicine over the last few games , hit the draft and reload .

You can use the travel fatigue and lack of enjoyment in the hubs as an excuse all you like, but it isn't valid when one of the fundamental problems is the gameplan. That's not the players fault nor is it the hubs.

Every team is in a hub. Even Port/Crows/WCE/Freo/Bris/GC.
Lladhams and ??? got suspended for having people over to their house in a state that has 0 Corona cases or <5 cases all in hotels and diagnosed before going out in public and contact tracing to the nth degree done.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

People want us playing youth but what youth will want to stay at a club were your coach publicly blasts the players .

Him hinting last night that he wanted to 'smoke' the players or whatever he said is a pretty good indicator of where we are at.

But emotionally responding just because supporters want to hear it isnt a solution , in fact its detrimental to the players and the club.

We have had a terrible season , pony up take our medicine over the last few games , hit the draft and reload .
I would've liked this post 10 times if I could. Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Only have to look as far as the club social media team's interviews with our players at various parts of the season.

Pretty much all the young guys have responded that they've enjoyed the hub experience and being able to bond with "all the boys".

But notice they don't even really ask the question to the older guys and when they do it's a far more calculated response. It's clearly been tougher for those with partners and family that haven't been able to join them.

Spot on. And the senior citizen profile of our list is not helped by this.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There was a lot of speculation here that Burton was hard work off the field and didn’t fit in at the club. If that was the case, it would go some way explaining what happened.
Does anyone else remember when, as the team was about to sing the song after victory,
Luke Hodge told Burton off for being mouthy towards a photographer? Hodgey said to him
that "We don't do that at Hawthorn".

This might indicate that Burton was a bit of an arrogant fellow and wasn't seen as a future
leader. Admittedly he was only young but maybe the club saw something they didn't like in him.

They were pretty quick to trade him.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Does anyone else remember when, as the team was about to sing the song after victory,
Luke Hodge told Burton off for being mouthy towards a photographer? Hodgey said to him

This might indicate that Burton was a bit of an arrogant fellow and wasn't seen as a future
leader. Admittedly he was only young but maybe the club saw something they didn't like in him.

Or maybe just maybe they valued getting Wingard more 🤷‍♂️

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Press conferences are no place to air dirty laundry. Besides, the media don't deserve any honesty from Clarko, they'll write what they want anyway. I don't even listen to press conferences, they're a waste of hot air.

That members only "exclusive" that the club just sent out.
"Hear Clarko's address the players post-match"

It s a 52 second video of absolutely nothing.
The boys had a huddle. WOW.
Why do they bother with that stuff? Seriously? Who is managing their social media and communications?
Id rather they send out nothing than something that is supposed to be something but is actually nothing.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

You may be right, but Hodgey was pulled into line himself a couple of times in his younger days. When I asked one of the coaches about Hodge, he smiled and said, "Hodgey's a bit of a lad", and left it there :)

You may be right, but Hodgey was pulled into line himself in his younger days. When I asked one of the coaches about Hodge, he smiled and said, "Hodgey's a bit of a lad", and left it there :)

How has your day been Adelaide Hawk?
In Melbourne we can hide away in isolation and pretend that crap didn't happen.
Different story for you though.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
See I think you can throw them all in at once - Fewer senior players means you either take up the fight or you get smashed so let's see who's got the fight. Who's going to take on the game like an teenage Rioli in the 08 Grand final
Is the idea to win?
Is the idea to test out of contract players ?
Is the idea to test scenarios and players under extreme pressure ?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
How has your day been Adelaide Hawk?
In Melbourne we can hide away in isolation and pretend that crap didn't happen.
Different story for you though.

The day's been okay. Good weather so I went for a long walk. After the joy of last night, South Aussies are crushed by the news the Grand Final won't be in Adelaide. I just hate all the flack I get from people when the Hawks lose, when in reality, I never say anything when we win. I've never been able to fathom the reason why.

This is a true story. After that first horrible loss to Adelaide in 1991, I copped it from everywhere. The CEO of our company made a special trip to my office to give me s**t, and I'd never met him before!!! Later in the year when we belted Adelaide in Melbourne, everyone was waiting for me to pay back, but I said nothing :)

A Collingwood mate got stuck into me today. I said, "Well at least I can look back on the flags I've seen". He said, "Collingwood have won more". I said to him, "Yes, but I've actually seen the Hawks win 12 flags, how many Collingwood flags have you actually seen? Two?" End of conversation :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back