Preview Round 15, 2020: Hawthorn v Adelaide, 1 September 2020, 5.40pm AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis playing well as a full forward last year and providing a genuine marking target, Wingard playing permanent midfield in the last eight weeks was the two big factors for that second half of the season turnaround.

I hate seeing Wingard going cold playing as a small forward. Bring in a genuine small forward or two during this off-season via the national draft or trade period to be able to release him in the midfield.

Last time Lewis played he was deplorable and appeared disinterested.

Perhaps he was carrying an injury? However if his output is going to be like that again I'm not sure what benefit game time is to him or the club.
He lacks fitness and game time. Playing 14 a side scratch matches does nothing for his development. Game time at AFL level does.

Not so much in's or outs I'd like to see some setting up for the future. Not just this game but let's start it here. So it's my first random thoughts about it.

If Impey is fit, I'd like to see him play but only if we play him in the backline to give us some pace out of there and some pace to cover our slow mids when the opposition is attacking.

If Scrimshaw plays I want them to tell him every time you take a mark go to play on, then stop, we will drag you, what we need out of you is to take the game on, so play on and kick as long as you can to a one on one contest, if you can't find a free player, but feel free to take a bounce as well. (NB: And tell every forward to spread as soon as Scrim gets the ball and if they don't drag them). Scrim looks like he's gonna cut teams up, then he goes conservative, he so close, yet so far from being so much more influential player.

If Day is tired give him a rest this week then play him in the last three, you get better playing good opposition than bad ones. (The being bad doesn't mean they can't beat us)

As said with Patton on his thread, bite the bullet and play Lewis for the last four to try and salvage his season, it's not like we have other options.

Drop Ceglar and just play BB in the ruck and don't let BB rest in the backline, rest him in the forward line. This works better if Frawley is an in, but if not let Hartley/Frost pinch hit you'll find out more about their ability to do it for the future. TOB and Lewis do the bit part rucking when BB rests, Lewis must also do it.

Put in Howe as our defensive midfielder and leave him there, he is twice as strong as the other three and he often cuts of angles and deflects the footy, when he is resting use Bruest/Chad or just someone not slow or weak (still would like to see Frost go in there for a few minutes for fun). Do not once let Worpel, Cousins, Mitchell start at a centre square bounce if they all play (even though we are playing a midfield that is compartively slow it's a false economy, because it won't work against very average teams let alone good ones). Hide one in the forward pocket during rotations, it'll also give you a actual midfielder as the drop of the ball if there is a stoppage on the forwardline rather than our other mids creeping in there and being too slow to get back in time if there is a turnover.

Give Liam Shiels a rest, he looks cooked at the moment he's done more than enough for this club over his career to have earned a rest.

Anyone who can kick 55m who is having a set shot or even on the run from 50m and decides to kick it to the front of the square to a pack in the oppositions favour gets dragged even if by miracle we kick a goal out of it. A pass to an open player is fine, but make sure he's open or you have the ability to hit the player otherwise have the shot. You've got more than enough time on your hands go out and practice kicking long for goal.

I'll think about it and come up with some others.

Geez I feel sorry for Patton.

Worried he's becoming the next Kreuzer.

He lacks fitness and game time. Playing 14 a side scratch matches does nothing for his development. Game time at AFL level does.

Scrimmage matches are all we have - and if he had recaptured his form / aggression he should be showing some signs of intent even in a scratch match. Your implication is that form in scrimmage matches is inconsequential. Agree to disagree. Giving games to players who fit a particular role but have not shown a desire to step up sets a bad precedent in my view.

My question was - has Lewis shown in the scrimmage matches that he has regained some of his aggression for the contest? I don't know, haven't read any reports - has he kicked goals? tackled hard? If any one knows let me know - I'm asking the question - because if he hasn't his production this year has been poor and I'd be reluctant to bring him in.

Happy to bring him in if he has shown some signs of intent and want.

Haven't seen it thus far this year at AFL level.

mitch2020.png

Scrimmage matches are all we have - and if he had recaptured his form / aggression he should be showing some signs of intent even in a scratch match. Your implication is that form in scrimmage matches is inconsequential. Agree to disagree. Giving games to players who fit a particular role but have not shown a desire to step up sets a bad precedent in my view.

My question was - has Lewis shown in the scrimmage matches that he has regained some of his aggression for the contest? I don't know, haven't read any reports - has he kicked goals? tackled hard? If any one knows let me know - I'm asking the question - because if he hasn't his production this year has been poor and I'd be reluctant to bring him in.

View attachment 947168

gee you wouldn't want to have him in your fantasy team...

View attachment 947168
Well he has had a solid couple weeks according to reports but if we are going to have a long term view he will benefit more from playing at AFL level.

Long term he will gain nothing from the scratch matches. He needs to get games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have had a 5 day break into a 4 day break for this game .
They are coming off a bye or 9 day break .

Clearly will impact selection . We were running through sand 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter , some of the young guys need a rest .

I think we will see 2 out and 2 in ( younger players ) then 2 in and 2 out ( senior players)

Personally I think we will be doing well to turn the tide from last night given the break

I'm a big critic of the 2 ruckman and BB in defence, but it actually worked in the 1st half when we made them play slower, and BB had a tall dopey opponent.
Tex would be an ideal opponent this week, although he ain't THAT tall 😂😂

Ok then explain why we have been so sh*t for the rest of the year.
Because we're not that good, but as I said, against Adelaide we should be fine.

Didn't we beat Richmond and Brisbane, and then take it right up to Port Adelaide (with the help of the umpires)?

FWIW i suspect we will try to win this game, and we will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back