Review Round 15, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's how I recalled it to. Basically he kept sliding because teams wanted the prototypical "high ceiling" players in the last first round over someone who had already produced consistently.

Digging back into my draft night notes (and given it's almost two years ago I doubt I'm breaking any secrecy covenants):
  • Reading between the lines, we had Dev Robertson was rated in the 3-8 range. Despite being asked explicitly, they wouldn't confirm anything because they didn't want unnecessary pressure put upon him (unlike other clubs).
  • We traded out of 16 under the expectation that one of our preferences for that pick would still be available at 23. Obviously the expectation was that Robertson would already be taken.
  • We were trying to trade back into the first round for Robertson from about pick 14.
Depending on how else things may had fallen, we'd probably could have taken Prior (ranked 13-24 range) at 23 and been happy.
From memory Dev had a serious injury coming up to draft day which didn"t do his draft position any favors.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Playing like a top 10 pick which is where he should have gone. Lucky to have both him and Rich also a slider. Rich is top 3 in hindsight. Watts lol

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
For a guy who supposedly is a terrible kick, his kicking is a lot better than I ever thought it would be. His vision and decision making really stands out.
He’s worked a lot on it at training. Before the shut down last year, he had a very slow and methodical routine he used every time he kicked the ball.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dev Robertson is a perfect example of how recruiters try to get to fancy these days. Trying to project the next star when there is clear and concise form in front of them that other players are just better and have been for majority of season.

To a degree we did it with Ely Smith. He finished his draft year very strongly but prior to that I don't think he was rated to highly by clubs with picks inside top 30.

These project players seem the norm now, but when you have a guy like Robertson who won the Larke Medal why would you ignore him. Same goes for Graham at Richmond who also won the medal then went late in the draft to Richmond and has now won 3 premierships!

Imagine back in the day when Johnny Platten and Greg Williams were running around and there was no draft..Too small - not quick. Not worth a pick. End up being two of the great midfielders of the 80s and 90s.

Robertson wins the ball - he is tough as nails. Looks like a great team man. But let's draft a kid who did something freakish one weekend and who could be a great athlete.

Everything does a full circle. Wouldn't surprise me if clubs start going back to just picking the best players at carnivals and project players are just that and picked later.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Solid effort all round.

Definately made up for the last game between the 2 sides when Brisbane was robbed late in the game. theres 7 or 8 more games to go. I really do hope Brisbane gets top 2 and have a solid chance for the flag.
Never know if it is a good idea getting top 2 or not. If we win, then we miss the next week which would be 2 weeks out of 3 where we don't play AFL (pre finals break) which i think stopped our momentum last year. I dont think we tend to play well after breaks.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Never know if it is a good idea getting top 2 or not. If we win, then we miss the next week which would be 2 weeks out of 3 where we don't play AFL (pre finals break) which i think stopped our momentum last year. I dont think we tend to play well after breaks.
It's the same equation if you win the first final though isn't it ,straight into the prelim.

Simon Black. Draft the footballer.
Too slow, too light, too one-sided. A flight risk. Never really made it at the top level - just a Brownlow, Norm Smith, 3 B& F's, 3 premierships, 3 AA's, Hall of Famer and generally great bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back