Preview Round 15, 2021: Giants v Hawks, MCG, 1.10pm Sunday 27th June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see how our midfield goes. Giants aren’t super quick inside but have good contested ball winners. With Whitfield and kelly on outside not sure we can go one down at stoppages (with spare back). Feels like we should just blow up our midfield and start again given the evidence over last few years but we keep backing the core group in.

Giants should be fired up for this as still a finals chance

Hope it doesn’t happen, but who’s to say Burgoyne doesn’t need to come on early and play most the game anyway?

Is this his second game as sub? Maybe we play him to 402 and then people can’t kick and screen that he “didn’t really play 400”

lots of longevity players spent significant time on the pine

Hanrahan and Nash smashed it at box hill today. 58 disposals combined, 15 clearances, 2 goals.

Yes he did he has been the last few weeks. The snap inside 50 was Breust like as he burst through the pack. The game was going though the motions from about the 10 minute mark of the second Box Hill dominated and should have won by more

Hanrahan and Nash smashed it at box hill today. 58 disposals combined, 15 clearances, 2 goals.
Good that they are playing well. But shows how little depth we have in the middle of the ground. We barely have enough midfielders playing this week and the cupboard is bare for next in line.

I don't like that if you don't take the field it counts as a game.

In the 'old days" before interchange (yes children once a upon a time there was no such things as an interchange bench) if the 19th or 20th man did not come on during the game, was this counted as a game ((for the players?

If so at least it is consistent to how games have always been counted. If not they should not count (but then again the AFL or should I say Australian Rules Football is a completely different game to the days past).

Giving it further consideration, I guess the question could also apply as well to the earliest days from when the interchange bench was introduced as it was never used then as it is now.

Sorry I don't know the answer to what I have asked.

Hope it doesn’t happen, but who’s to say Burgoyne doesn’t need to come on early and play most the game anyway?

Is this his second game as sub? Maybe we play him to 402 and then people can’t kick and screen that he “didn’t really play 400”

Agree it could be asked but how many past players who have reached 200, 300 or 400 games have sat on the bench for the full game and never came on, or got injured in the first two minutes of a game or started as a sub-player/interchange player and only game on when the game was long won or lost and only played 2 or 3 minutes in dead time. We don't question their count of games.

In fact a similar analysis could be applied to the first few years of his career?

I considered this a few weeks ago when the possibility of him being sub first came up, In the end I discounted it as an issue as he 'has pulled on the jumper' within the selected team to represent our club.

Yeah, I really don’t understand this at all. So, crowd is restricted to 25% due to Covid restrictions/advice from Government. But, we will squeeze that 25% into just 50% of the available seats so that everyone is closer together as it will look better on TV. Bizarre.
You could make the case that there is less congestion on public transport etc. end of the day it’s rules for some different rules for others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just love the way Mitchell is developing players at Box Hill.
Nash and Ollie have been revelations. Hope they can keep it up.
They are good VFL players

You can add Cousins to that list also

If they continue to get senior games, we aren’t improving as a side

Straight to the hypotheticals board?

Bit harsh but I understand the sentiment. We have played both these players at times over the last few years when they haven't been close to achieving these numbers in the two's. I hope it shows they are developing. Whether or not they can develop their consistency over the next month or two will be interesting. Seeing them succeed at least for Box Hill isn't the worst thing in the world

Straight to the hypotheticals board?

Bit harsh but I understand the sentiment. We have played both these players at times over the last few years when they haven't been close to achieving these numbers in the two's. I hope it shows they are developing. Whether or not they can develop their consistency over the next month or two will be interesting. Seeing them succeed at least for Box Hill isn't the worst thing in the world
To be fair to Nash. He was never going to make it as a forward. Most of the Irish boys play behind the ball. I think Nash to the middle is not a bad idea. That O'Connor bloke at Geelong goes alright in there

To be fair to Nash. He was never going to make it as a forward. Most of the Irish boys play behind the ball. I think Nash to the middle is not a bad idea. That O'Connor bloke at Geelong goes alright in there
We haven't ever really had a tall big bodied midfielder. Would add a different mix to the midfield if he can do it at AFL level

We haven't ever really had a tall big bodied midfielder. Would add a different mix to the midfield if he can do it at AFL level
If he kept pressing as an AFL midfielder, his combination of size and athleticism would be completely unique for the game in that position. The club has obviously seen something since he's been in the emergencies for a bit now.

This is probably right but the only difference with Nash and Hanrahan is they are playing new roles they haven’t played at AFL.

Cousins, Howe, Ceglar, TOB are very good VFL players but poor AFL players. Prefer to see those blokes back at Box Hill

If he is playing well I would hope he keeps getting picked for the year. I dont think one spot holds anyone back.

Has Nathan Jones played his last game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back