Preview Round 15, 2021: Giants v Hawks, MCG, 1.10pm Sunday 27th June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forward line is functioning better with a more dynamic set up. It's the backline where we need some height. Either Hartigan or DGB need to play or we use TOB down back and play either Jeka or Callow. They would both give the same amount of output as Lewis ATM

No point playing TOB down back. He’s not the future down there. He’s a Gunston backup that can pinch hit in the ruck. If we want height down back it’s hartigan or maybe DGB. But hartigan angry pants will be a nice complement to Greene’s campaigning, so I vote for him!

I feel like Clarko has been a bit flippant in his responses to how Lewis got injured.

I don't want to be a panic merchant but an employer allowing an employee to get injured this way has a lot of potential legal ramifications.
Relax.
Their would be a stack of papers a mile high with every legal liability waiver under the sun signed by every player when they join the club.

Boxing is a legitimate and reasonable form of training and exercise for a participant playing a contact sport to undertake.

I know for a fact it would have been well controlled and organised by the club but mistakes happen...

Relax.
Their would be a stack of papers a mile high with every legal liability waiver under the sun signed by every player when they join the club.

Boxing is a legitimate and reasonable form of training and exercise for a participant playing a contact sport to undertake.

I know for a fact it would have been well controlled and organised by the club but mistakes happen...
Lewis will have missed three games now due to concussion so I think Clarko's explanation that he "zigged when he should have zagged" is definetly flippant.

Duty of care falls on the employer regardless of whatever waiver they may have signed.

If Lewis's long term future is impacted due to ongoing issues with concussions things could get very messy indeed.

Just for a change can we please please please stop kicking it down Nick Haynes throat this game
This is like the plea to stop kicking it down Gawn's throat before and during the Melbourne game

With some of our poorer kicks they should actually just aim for him

Lewis will have missed three games now due to concussion so I think Clarko's explanation that he "zigged when he should have zagged" is definetly flippant.

Duty of care falls on the employer regardless of whatever waiver they may have signed.

If Lewis's long term future is impacted due to ongoing issues with concussions things could get very messy indeed.
It also clearly wasn't that well organised if we've got a player missing three weeks of football.

I wonder what this experience will do to ML's confidence. I hope he doesn't go even further into his shell. He was at this best when he was the most aggressive.

It might seem flippant to those unfamiliar but its in essence exactly what happens.
If you move the wrong way at the wrong time then what would otherwise have been a firm tap on the chest becomes hard punch to the jaw.

Unless they were being actively forced/encouraged to try and knock each other out (andthey were definitely not) then its simply a reaction drill wearing appropriate PPE.

It also clearly wasn't that well organised if we've got a player missing three weeks of football.

I wonder what this experience will do to ML's confidence. I hope he doesn't go even further into his shell. He was at this best when he was the most aggressive.
We had TOB break our Brownlow medalists leg during a tackling drill.

We had TOB break our Brownlow medalists leg during a tackling drill.
The key difference their being a drill for an action (tackling) that is part of a players job.

Whereas boxing is not something they are expected to do in the course of a game / be proficient in.

It would be like if you asked a MMA fighter to do a downhill slalom ski as part of their training regime and he ends ups breaking his leg because he has no idea how to ski.

Very risky in my opinion. Stick to training them how to play football and leave boxing to the professionals.

I feel like Clarko has been a bit flippant in his responses to how Lewis got injured.

I don't want to be a panic merchant but an employer allowing an employee to get injured this way has a lot of potential legal ramifications.
More annoyed than anything, training accident they happen. He thinks nothing to see here, or maybe he thinks Lewis is frustratingly soft?
The key difference their being a drill for an action (tackling) that is part of a players job.

Whereas boxing is not something they are expected to do in the course of a game / be proficient in.

It would be like if you asked a MMA fighter to do a downhill slalom ski as part of their training regime and he ends ups breaking his leg because he has no idea how to ski.

Very risky in my opinion. Stick to training them how to play football and leave boxing to the professionals.
Reaction time training, boxing excellent example. Has been for as long as I can remember. Flippant or diffusing, Clarko trying to poor cold water on the heated up panic merchants in the press, move on, nothing to see here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that a young player with obvious limitations that we already have a lot of on the list gets a guaranteed automatic selection for a certain amount of games, while a player with bigger upside playing a position that is a death trap in the VFL that we're crying out for in the 1sts is not given this free ride og guaranteed games.

And there are some who believe there aren't favourites.

‘I actually half believe the box hill coaches are there for young player improvement and there’s more of them this year, a way round the cap. So it may be that box hill games aren’t so much a sign of being on the outer

Jeka would still be first in line based off the Box Hill game

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume Jeka has a longer contract so I'm guessing there would be more of an urgency to see what Callow can do in the seniors. Afterall the midseason draft is about bringing in players who are ready to make an immediate impact, not sit in the VFL.

False equivalence of the highest order. Eye hand foot coordination as taught in boxing is directly relevant to AFL.

Last edited:
We should announce this week that Shaun will retire v Port. That way he gets an MCG send off this week for all that won't go to Marvel. Would also double the attendance.
If there's anyone who wouldn't go to Shauns 400th because it's at Marvel rather than the MCG then they can GAGF I reckon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume Jeka has a longer contract so I'm guessing there would be more of an urgency to see what Callow can do in the seniors. Afterall the midseason draft is about bringing in players who are ready to make an immediate impact, not sit in the VFL.
Bringing him in off 1 Box Hill game is setting him up to fail

False equivalence of the highest order. Eye hand foot coordination as tought in boxing is directly relevant to AFL.
Plenty of other ways to teach hand/eye coordination other than throwing punches which if it goes wrong can lead to what we have seen here.

Playing basketball is an excellent way to improve your hand/eye coordination and much less risky.

You might as well say no rowing machines thats a different sport, dont lift weights either.

There is a huge difference between boxing as training and boxing as boxing.
The main one being trying to avoid hurting the bloke you are training with VS trying to do as much damage as you can to them.
It should be a rough game of tag essentially.

Another thing boxing training can achieve is conditioning to getting hit (not headshots- body punches), hopefully it helps some of the young blokes get over their aversion to contact.

Reality is, most won't go.
Look at Roughead's farewell game. At full capacity 33k is the limit at Marvel of Hawthorn supporters getting there.

In this covid era 25k would be enough to cover Hawthorn supporters wanting to go

Jekka is out of contract. We need to sign him ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back