Preview Round 15 2021 - GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 1.10 pm @ MCG, Sun 27 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F#*&*&*@#$k

The GIANTS' Round 15 clash against Hawthorn has been moved to Victoria due to the unfolding COVID situation in Sydney.

This will now see the GIANTS play the Hawks at the MCG at 1.10pm on Sunday, June 27.

It'll be just the second game the club has played at the famous venue this season and will provide invaluable experience for the young group.

The GIANTS and cross-town rivals the Swans left Sydney at short notice on Tuesday evening and will continue their preparations in Victoria.

Both clubs have been living under the supplementary protocols since Sunday as an extra precaution.

The GIANTS are eyeing off a spot in the top eight and currently sit in ninth position, following a 36-point victory over Carlton.

The AFL is expected to confirm arrangements for Round 15, including crowds and ticket on-sale times in the coming days.

Relocating to Bleak City to avoid Covid?

Relocating to Wuhan would make more sense.

More lies from VFL HQ.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sydney is in a worse position than Vic right now, so this unfortunately makes sense. It will be interesting to see if vfl goes ahead vs swans, I assume it won't. Hopefully next couple of days are good for covid, and they don't have to spend much time in the hub.

Sydney is in a worse position than Vic right now, so this unfortunately makes sense.

yeah, but Canberra is free from the plague and we at least have a home ground there.

The Mayblooms could have flown from Melbourne to Canberra to play. We could have hubbed there and flown to Melbourne next week for our game.

hubbing is hubbing, melbourne or canberra, difference is that one of those options is a home game for us.

Come to Canberra - we're virus free!

If the game was played at Manuka, a location that has NEVER had COVID, VFL HQ would have to honour all the pre-paid Giants members tickets.

But, Gil wants to sell our pre-paid seats to Hawks fans.

The double-dippers at VFL HQ just playing we paying Giants members for complete mugs.

The fact that there was an Ultimate Giants members ‘thank you’ function scheduled for the Hawks game is an additional slap in the face.

Gil just taking the p*ss.

Fairly sure this is called “maintaining integrity in the competition” when they’re all having a laugh at NSW around the boardroom table at VFL HQ.

Last edited:
It is what it is.

With the right attitude, we can use the venue change as an opportunity to improve our record at the MCG, and show we can take these COVID disruptions in our stride.

We were mentally unprepared when it happened on short notice in Brisbane. There's no excuse this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we were the only club with 7 official home games out of the 17, and one of those was against Adelaide in Adelaide. We were the only club without a permanent hub either, every few weeks being shipped to another part of the country. So I understand the frustration, but at least we get footy this weekend and that's the most important thing until we can finally put this pandemic behind us.

Last year we were the only club with 7 official home games out of the 17, and one of those was against Adelaide in Adelaide. We were the only club without a permanent hub either, every few weeks being shipped to another part of the country. So I understand the frustration, but at least we get footy this weekend and that's the most important thing until we can finally put this pandemic behind us.

And every year you have a home GF and barely travel. What’s your point.

This is a nonsense VFL move as always by the AFL as there were other available options that would keep the integrity of the home and away season.

And every year you have a home GF and barely travel. What’s your point.

This is a nonsense VFL move as always by the AFL as there were other available options that would keep the integrity of the home and away season.
We play in Tasmania 4 times a year, and travel another 5, so we actually do get out on the road a bit.

MCG deal is out of our hands - personally I'm not attached to the idea the Grand Final has to be played there, but as it stands at the moment, there isn't another venue around the country that comes close to it. Maybe Perth but they'd need to get their capacity up to 75k from the current 60k I think to be a suitable venue (I do believe it was built so that it could be expanded to 80k).

My point was though in Covid times, compromises have to be made. With mass hysteria and border closures every time someone sneezes, it probably makes sense to get the game out of NSW/ACT right now even though the odds of catching COVID are probably far more likely in Melbourne at the moment than Canberra.

We play in Tasmania 4 times a year, and travel another 5, so we actually do get out on the road a bit.

MCG deal is out of our hands - personally I'm not attached to the idea the Grand Final has to be played there, but as it stands at the moment, there isn't another venue around the country that comes close to it. Maybe Perth but they'd need to get their capacity up to 75k from the current 60k I think to be a suitable venue (I do believe it was built so that it could be expanded to 80k).

My point was though in Covid times, compromises have to be made. With mass hysteria and border closures every time someone sneezes, it probably makes sense to get the game out of NSW/ACT right now even though the odds of catching COVID are probably far more likely in Melbourne at the moment than Canberra.

Tassie, like Canberra for us, is a choice.

Yeah probably should not discuss the mcg as I’m rather annoyed by the whole situation there.

I agree compromises do need to be made. Canberra would be perfect. As our main base while Sydney is shut down.

Dave Matthews came out and said the Sydney derby back up location is Canberra.

and we play Manuka 3 times a year and travel another 10 - but do tell us more about how much you‘re on the road each year.
All I said is we get on the road a bit, I'm not saying we travel more than you do, because we obviously don't. But we do travel more than any other Vic club.

Let's not attack a guy who is sympathetic to an undesirable situation.
I think the logic is getting ahead of a potential lock out.. get us in Melbourne for a couple of games

Dictator Dan back at work this weekend.

What a complete coincidence that VFL HQ suddenly decides that games can’t possibly be played in safe, virus free Canberra with 100 per cent capacity crowds, but instead must be played in Melbourne in front of 20 per cent crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back