Review Round 15 2021 - GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 1.10 pm @ MCG, Sun 27 June

Remove this Banner Ad

You've hit one of my many bugbears.

I watch the top teams, and their forwards work for each other by blocking, false leads and creating space.

GWS' long bombs draw all our forwards and their opposing number to the same spot.

I look at the Eagles and you won't see Kennedy and Darling often going for the same ball. They've done all the work when the ball is in the centre square or the wing and the space they have to lead is like a corridor of freedom.

The good teams have a system for their forwards but GWS is purely random.
Im slightly baffled, wondering if they are all just drawn to the ball but it seems as the forward coaches have changed, that part of our game has largely remained the same with the exception to some matches. For certain scrappy matches, for sure, but to be our predominant game style, seems like lazy coaching. Hard to believe we were the most efficient forward line in recent weeks.

Whilst our medical/strength and conditioning team has issues, i honestly think our thoughtless play style contributes to dangerous situations which contribute to an increased predisposition to traumatic injuries. The way we overly rely on running our good players ragged, they would have decreased awareness for proper bracing mechanisms and also more soft tissue injuries. Probably why when those long term injuries happen, its often to our stars rather than our second tier players

How bloody frustrating to watch us lose that.

There’s so many players to point the finger at after that effort, but we have no use for TOJ at the moment. With Flynn and Briggs we don’t need him as a 2nd ruck and he’s just not doing it effort wise to justify selection purely as a forward.

I'll continue barracking for this club, and perhaps it's the adrenaline talking, but right now I'm debating whether to financially support GWS beyond this year if Leon Cameron continues to be head coach.

I'll still sign up, but I'm struggling to get the motivation to head to the ground or watch games live when I know the rubbish that will served up half the time. And I went to almost every home game when we were getting flogged in the first few years because I could at least feel like we were improving.

5 of the 7 fixtures this weekend have been decided by a margin of less than two goals.

So we all know winning margins are tight.

However, Dave Matthews in his ‘wisdom’ doesn’t even request our home game be played in virus free Canberra.

Apparently Matthew’s is so confident we’re going to easily beat the Hawks away that he doesn’t even try to defend the integrity of our home fixtures.

Is this CEO arrogance, laziness or stupidity?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

5 of the 7 fixtures this weekend have been decided by a margin of less than two goals.

So we all know winning margins are tight.

However, Dave Matthews in his ‘wisdom’ doesn’t even request our home game be played in virus free Canberra.

Apparently Matthew’s is so confident we’re going to easily beat the Hawks away that he doesn’t even try to defend the integrity of our home fixtures.

Is this CEO arrogance, laziness or stupidity?

He re-signed Cameron as well soooooo

I’ll end my stream of rants about today’s game with an old Irish joke about a lost traveller on his way to Killarney.

He asks a local Irishman for directions.

“How do you get to Killarney?”

The local replies:

“If you’re trying to get to Killarney, I wouldn’t start from here”.

Our AFL team is lost on the road to Killarney.

IMG_4925.JPG

Another loss and another incredibly poor display by the team and coaches, Ceglar and McEvoy huge in the win for the Hawks and plenty of Giants well nbelow any kind of acceptable level
Defence looks spent with only Haynes showing anything of what they are capable of and Buckley needs a week or more on the sidelines, Flynn and Briggs although promising were outplayed by their opponents which is understandable given the gulf in experience, TOJ needs a week on the sidelines to rediscover some form and he also needs to look at his game to improve and be the player he can be. Not that any of that will happen as injury has meant they have had to play with little fear of being dropped. Not sure what is up with Davis as he has really shown nothing and is constantly beaten when he should be standing up and leading the defence and really working with the younger defenders to help them improve

At the start of the season I did hold out hope of finals but the Melbourne loss and injuries made me reassess and I dont see the club as a bottom 4 side despite the fact they cannot beat the bottom 2 sides I am hoping the team finishes with 10 wins for the year and importantly does the double over the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back