Preview Round 15, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Gold Coast Suns @ Blundstone Arena | Saturday, June 26 @ 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
:D

We're 1-1-11 mate
I'm aware, but this is the kind of game where you get your hopes up that we're a fair chance at a win ala the Hawthorn game. When I get my hopes up about a win, it becomes a danger game, regardless of where we are on the ladder

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri is no where near it at the moment. He can huff n puff all the likes. I’d give him one more to be fair. A fair honest crack before its time to go back to the scoobs and do what you are asked.

Ford would have to come in for a like for like player? I mean Ive rated Mahonys out put but maybe for Jack?

I would like to see elvis come in. Powelly could do with a spell, he wasn’t poor. He did good things, he is young so maybe a spell would do him wonders?

is polec available next week?
Hope not.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think Powell stays in this week then goes for a rest after that.

Would like to find a spot for Phillips but not sure who he comes in for just yet.

Ford needs more time in the reserves.

Harsh on people calling for Xerri to go. Larkey has improved massively since X has been in the side.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think Powell stays in this week then goes for a rest after that.

Would like to find a spot for Phillips but not sure who he comes in for just yet.

Ford needs more time in the reserves.

Harsh on people calling for Xerri to go. Larkey has improved massively since X has been in the side.
How do you correlate Souves improvement on Xerri? I would say the delivery into 50 has improved and more opportunities entering 50 is what correlates with his form. Would suggest Zurhaars form has helped Larkey out more than Xerri in the team

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How do you correlate Souves improvement on Xerri? I would say the delivery into 50 has improved and more opportunities entering 50 is what correlates with his form. Would suggest Zurhaars form has helped Larkey out more than Xerri in the team

Larkey hasnt had a fellow tall next to him, or near him all year. As soon as he gets one, he kicks 5 in two weeks and looks markedly better in his role.

Yes Zurhaar has also helped, but Larkey 100% needs another big bodied tall to assist, which he has got in Xerri, and will have in either Comben or Edwards moving forward.

What's the chances GC step up for this game after the Tassie whack they copped in the last week?

Invitation sent: Will the Sun’s big-mouthed boss Tony Cochrane set south for a Hobart visit?

He has belittled and bagged out Tasmania for months – but will Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane turn up to watch his team play in Hobart next week?
Brett Stubbs, Mercury

HAS Tony Cochrane got the backbone to back up his big mouth?

The Gold Coast Suns chairman — who has taken great pleasure in belittling Tasmania and its push for an AFL team while overseeing the most unsuccessful club in the league — has received an official invitation to next Saturday’s clash with North Melbourne in Hobart.

Roos chief executive Ben Amarfio issued the invitation on Sunday to the outspoken president who has become enemy No.1 with Tasmania’s footy-loving fans.

“Tony very kindly hosted us at his Chairman’s function at Metricon earlier this year and we will be reciprocating by inviting him to our match this weekend, so we hope he can make it down,” Mr Amarfio said.

“We congratulate Tony on his recent awarding of an AM for his service to sport and entertainment but we suspect there might not be as many locals queuing up to congratulate him given his comments last week.”

Mr Cochrane has questioned everything about Tasmania’s AFL campaign – from population, fan base, finances and economics and even the state’s weather.

Last week he said on interstate radio he again dismissed the idea of Tasmania finally being granted a licence.

“From a business point of view that would be insanity,” Mr Cochrane said.

“From a pure fanbase point of view it would be nuts.”

It earned a savage rebuke from Premier Peter Gutwein, who said Mr Cochrane talked down the state as it would “flog” the Suns, while Tasmania’s team could live off the average AFL distribution compared to the Gold Coast, which survived only off the largesse of the league and its deep pockets.

Prominent media commentator Caroline Wilson labelled Mr Cochrane a hypocrite over his comments on ABC television, while fellow panellist – and former Tasmanian – Alastair Nicholson said Mr Cochrane should not be allowed to vote on the state’s inclusion given that he had already publicly voiced his opposition despite being yet to see former AFL commissioner Colin Carter review of the state’s business case that is yet to be completed.

The backdrop to this was a sellout crowd of 14,834 at the Hawthorn-Essendon game in Launceston on Sunday – the Bombers’ first game in the state in nearly 30 years – which was the highest attendance for any match this round.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
What's the chances GC step up for this game after the Tassie whack they copped in the last week?

Invitation sent: Will the Sun’s big-mouthed boss Tony Cochrane set south for a Hobart visit?

He has belittled and bagged out Tasmania for months – but will Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane turn up to watch his team play in Hobart next week?
Brett Stubbs, Mercury

HAS Tony Cochrane got the backbone to back up his big mouth?

The Gold Coast Suns chairman — who has taken great pleasure in belittling Tasmania and its push for an AFL team while overseeing the most unsuccessful club in the league — has received an official invitation to next Saturday’s clash with North Melbourne in Hobart.

Roos chief executive Ben Amarfio issued the invitation on Sunday to the outspoken president who has become enemy No.1 with Tasmania’s footy-loving fans.

“Tony very kindly hosted us at his Chairman’s function at Metricon earlier this year and we will be reciprocating by inviting him to our match this weekend, so we hope he can make it down,” Mr Amarfio said.

“We congratulate Tony on his recent awarding of an AM for his service to sport and entertainment but we suspect there might not be as many locals queuing up to congratulate him given his comments last week.”

Mr Cochrane has questioned everything about Tasmania’s AFL campaign – from population, fan base, finances and economics and even the state’s weather.

Last week he said on interstate radio he again dismissed the idea of Tasmania finally being granted a licence.

“From a business point of view that would be insanity,” Mr Cochrane said.

“From a pure fanbase point of view it would be nuts.”

It earned a savage rebuke from Premier Peter Gutwein, who said Mr Cochrane talked down the state as it would “flog” the Suns, while Tasmania’s team could live off the average AFL distribution compared to the Gold Coast, which survived only off the largesse of the league and its deep pockets.

Prominent media commentator Caroline Wilson labelled Mr Cochrane a hypocrite over his comments on ABC television, while fellow panellist – and former Tasmanian – Alastair Nicholson said Mr Cochrane should not be allowed to vote on the state’s inclusion given that he had already publicly voiced his opposition despite being yet to see former AFL commissioner Colin Carter review of the state’s business case that is yet to be completed.

The backdrop to this was a sellout crowd of 14,834 at the Hawthorn-Essendon game in Launceston on Sunday – the Bombers’ first game in the state in nearly 30 years – which was the highest attendance for any match this round.

A sideshow that I give less than 0.00001 of a **** about.

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forget building and learning and developing. The Suns are a rabble and we need to beat them. We need to beat them one on one. We need to hold our structures and get in dangerous positions. We need to move the ball quick. We need to keep our feet and get to the next contest and we need to do this for four quarters.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Larkey hasnt had a fellow tall next to him, or near him all year. As soon as he gets one, he kicks 5 in two weeks and looks markedly better in his role.

Yes Zurhaar has also helped, but Larkey 100% needs another big bodied tall to assist, which he has got in Xerri, and will have in either Comben or Edwards moving forward.
Be interesting to see what happens with big X next year if Comben and Edwards have good pre-seasons. He won't dislodge Goldy and I can't see him cutting it as an 80-20 fwd/ruc

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have opened $1.75 faves. Was thinking I would be able to get a + line:unamused:

It's also no surprise that Zurhaar has improved as well - the whole forward line are looking more dangerous with a more permanent tall forward down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to big Charles down there next year just clunking grabs.

Fingers crossed he can have a similar production to Essendons young bloke

Combden coming good physically changes our trajectory completely. I think literally takes a year off the rebuild and also gives us the flexibility to chase slightly different mature targets in 24 months.

I reckon we are a chance but we shouldn't treat GC lightly. Whenever they've been undermanned, they can still put on a fight.

Plastic culture or not, don't become complacent North.
Couldnt agree more, we better not think we have won this game before we hit the ground. We have under estimated them in the past

It's also no surprise that Zurhaar has improved as well - the whole forward line are looking more dangerous with a more permanent tall forward down there.
I think most of the team have improved and that can only be put down to more time with the coach and what he wants and expects from his team. We are only 13 games into a new coach's plan and each week they seem to get a little better. Last week we came close to toppling a genuine finals contender and this week we kept up with a premiership contender until they decided that it was time to put their foot on the gas. I feel hopeful but this is a danger game, they wont want to have played the game before they get out there

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
GC have been hammered today in the media. They should be fired up this weekend if they have any substance.
Would have preferred the blowtorch didn't come out for one more week.

Agree that the whole club has been put under the blow torch. I’m kind of glad it has happened this week. It will make a win more satisfying.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
GC have been hammered today in the media. They should be fired up this weekend if they have any substance.
Would have preferred the blowtorch didn't come out for one more week.
I mean... are they capable of being fired up? I don't want to be too much of a dick but if they haven't been able to extract the digit with all the internal screaming that must have occurred the last few months, then I'm not sure why some external noise would make an iota of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back