Preview Round 15, 2021: Richmond v St.Kilda - MCG, Friday 25th June, 7:50PM AEST *CONNOLLY DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's really hard to tell from stats but it's pretty normal to take 30 to 50 games to settle in to being solid and then another 50 to start peaking. If they identify him as a potential star they need to just rush those games in to him. He's had really bad luck in development. Missed under 18 year, missed his full first afl season, season 2 was in the hub with no VFL and only a couple of senior games. Season 3 is the medical sub mostly. Honestly he's playing above what he should be doing considering.
Great post. Imho, playing and hopefully dominating at VFL level is an important part of building skills and confidence to become a good AFL player. It's not a step back. Being under the microscope and getting exposed at the senior level can sap confidence and impede development.

Touched a nerve. Give an ounce of truth and you get triggered.

Common knowledge many have left because of the incessant negativity. Not my words but a moderators.

When are you positive, you pot other posters and flip flop between opinions like a yo yo.

Can't say I ever heard him rated near the top 3 of that draft?

Kings, Lukosious, Walsh, Rankine etc were always well ahead of him.

Some suggested they had him up around the top ten as a 17 year old.

He's always had knocks about his speed and outside game though so he was going to have to have a big draft year to crack the top ten.

He was a gun in his under 17 year and was rated highly. He dropped out of some calculations once his back went. It's like when Hugh Goddard was a potential pick 1 at that age, once he couldn't get on the park others made their move. I think that's where the idea that he would have gone high comes from. He was high risk having to come with a surgery and a year out of footy but a pretty high reward gamble with a later pick.

If there is one thing I have noticed this year, it's that it's easier to have a negative mindset because it won't hurt as much with failure compared to being an optimist and hoping for success.

Will there be as much negativity if/when we pull our sh*t together and stat winning again? That will be my question

Uh, no. That's a rhetorical question isn't it?

Really excited about this game. Some guns coming back from injury and coming off a one kick loss. The boys will be out for a big scalp.
Go Saints
I don’t expect to win but surely this is an opportunity for some redemption for the players who were so poor against richmond last time.

I‘m not usually into the honourable loss routine but I’d take 22 turning up and giving it a red hot go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a gun in his under 17 year and was rated highly. He dropped out of some calculations once his back went. It's like when Hugh Goddard was a potential pick 1 at that age, once he couldn't get on the park others made their move. I think that's where the idea that he would have gone high comes from. He was high risk having to come with a surgery and a year out of footy but a pretty high reward gamble with a later pick.
Jack has done a few nice things, but he's not really looking like a top 10 talent as many were suggesting, yet.

If he can get to a Ross level with better disposal I'd be pretty happy.

Hopefully we see a break out game or two in the back end of this season, as it stands we're a bit stodgy without Gresham & Jones running through the middle.

Jack has done a few nice things, but he's not really looking like a top 10 talent as many were suggesting, yet.

Hopefully we see a break out game or two in the back end of this season, as it stands we're a bit stodgy without Gresham & Jones running through the middle.

It's impossible to tell early on. You have to rely on snippets and how they perform against teammates at training etc. Good managers have a sixth sense when it comes to seeing the small stuff they do well and pushing for certain players to get opportunity. I never thought that Steele would take the next step and Ratts has to get some credit for that. He saw more than a guy who tagged in him. Richo would give him the odd game without a tagging job and when he looked lost and like he didn't know where to run without someone to take him to the ball he'd be straight back to it. Ratts backed him in and played him without a Tagging job until he became good in his own right.

Under Richo we seemed to have very uneven development routines with lots of punishment of form fluctuations and players given demeaning stopping roles or less responsibility until all their natural instinct and confidence was drained from them. There was very little backing players in to play 10 or 20 games and everything seemed to be about a message of covering for our deficiencies.

Now with Ratts we seem to have a more stubborn adherence to playing players in multiple positions even if it doesn't seem to benefit the team or the player. We also seem rigid with a game plan that isn't working. It doesn't matter how good the game plan is if the players can't actually use it to get wins.

Hmmm the old Batman and Robin movie is on free to air, i'm not sure if i ever saw that one.

I think i avoided it at the time, but i've since found out there can be worse things to watch on TV.

Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy awoke things inside me I didn’t know existed in 1997. People seem to s**t on that movie but it’s kinda fun to watch.

Richmond with a surprise debut of a ruckman so must be slightly worried about the Ryder/Marshall combination.

With them likely to play Chol as well, it will leave us short down back if we only go with Howard and Wilkie.

So Billings has been playing with injections due to a foot injury, has twisted his knee at training but is expected to be fit to play tomorrow! OK, we all know about our players being injured and not available this year but I really do question the wisdom of players having to be jabbed to play, especially for a foot injury. Wasn't Billings having to be jabbed reported when Marshall first went down with his plantar fascia? That was months ago. Has it really done either Jack or the team any good?

I don’t expect to win but surely this is an opportunity for some redemption for the players who were so poor against richmond last time.

I‘m not usually into the honourable loss routine but I’d take 22 turning up and giving it a red hot go.
Should win the ruck battle surely. Lets see what the midfielders do.

Everyone has their own perspectives but in this case I think he suffers from the obsession over pace in midfielders.
From what I've already seen his hands are elite, and general clearance work close behind. Tackles heaps and seems to kick to good aggressive options.
Jack is going to be an inside bull who excels at the meat and potatoes side of footy. Flair is great to have, but those types tend to also be inconsistent confidence players that melt under real heat. We can hope the the Byrnes boy goes on to become the next Lachie Neale but the odd are against that happening.
With Bytel he need only do more of what he's already doing. Having the last 3 years of his development ruined we should be giving credit that he's been able to get this far..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back