Review Round 15, 2021 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

View attachment 1165193

The nonchalance made it look worse than it was.

Screenshot_20210627-095139_AFL.jpg

Burton was in the position to receive the handball, not to shepherd Buddy.

Also, the player at the top of the frame was also open but Jonas looked long instead.

Screenshot_20210627-095349_AFL.jpg
Needed to do the simple things instead of trying to be a hero.

I'm probably one of Burton's biggest critics but even I'm not blaming him for the Jonas thing. Burton ran to space to receive the handball and could reasonably have expected to receive it as Jonas had plenty of time and space himself to move the ball on. The fact that Jonas took an ice age to dispose of the onion and allowed Buddy to chase him down could not have been anticipated by Burton.

yeah I’m not sure why they expected burton to block since burton had easily accelerated away from him , past Jonas, and is a far better kick than Jonas.

the play they’ve practiced a million times and that would be expected would be that Jonas would have hand balled that one to burton, then he would have blocked Franklin from going after burton if needed.

instead Jonas ignored burton and decided to take a slow jog up the middle waiting for someone to lead to him or something despite the fact he’s more a drop it on the boot and smash it in a direction kick anyway?

As big of a mental lapse as you’ll ever see that one and it’s entirely on Jonas.

Could have cost us the game but a cpl of his teammates saved him

I was watching on fox and went out to the kitchen to pour a glass of vino when they cut to the dees v bombers commentators, heard the beginnings of the Power song and when I got back to the tv Williams was in the outside of the circle on the far side.
He must have moved fairly quickly to get there because I would have missed less than 10 seconds of what they showed on fox.
They didn’t show the whole song on fox. Cut in late.

I know it's already been mentioned a fair bit but I want to join in the chorus for how great it was to see the bump between Mckenzie and Hayward (?). Both players going flat out and puting their strapped up bodies on the line was so fantastic to see especially after many of us were a bit scared a few weeks ago due to the over scrutinised mckay bump that this sort of incident may be on the way out. Also nice to see two players having the awareness to protect their heads and execute the perfect high speed contact, kudos to the both of you.

View attachment 1165198

Burton was in the position to receive the handball, not to shepherd Buddy.

Also, the player at the top of the frame was also open but Jonas looked long instead.

View attachment 1165200
Needed to do the simple things instead of trying to be a hero.

Once Jonas does not handball to Burton at that time, Burton jogs away with back to ball. He was obliged to shepherd Buddy. It’s very simple.

Once Jonas does not handball to Burton at that time, Burton jogs away with back to ball. He was obliged to shepherd Buddy. It’s very simple.

Jonas was obliged to dispose of the ball. Its ludicrous that you find more issue with a player not shepherding after getting ignored the obvious pass and being well out of range to do so, rather than our captain transitioning to a jog and ignoring two obvious options and preferring to look for a long option down field.

It was a brain fart that his team mates weren't prepared for.

Frederick was excellent

He won't get a stat for it, but the moment late in the last quarter where he held up a rampaging Papley who was trying every trick in the book to get past him and forced his shot at goal OOF was immense. Plenty of more experienced players than Frederick would've conceded a goal to a player as good as Papley in that situation.

At least give him a cursory ‘you’re hot’.

He won't get a stat for it, but the moment late in the last quarter where he held up a rampaging Papley who was trying every trick in the book to get past him and forced his shot at goal OOF was immense. Plenty of more experienced players than Frederick would've conceded a goal in that situation.

I noted that too. Someone as clever as Papley makes an inexperienced player - no matter how talented - look silly 99 times out of a hundred in that situation. It was as important as Mayes' goal.

Bloody proud of how the boys stood up in those last 5 mins. We’ve seen this kinda game go the other way far too often. Morning shower reflection, for a team to have 5 instant starters out, sitting in 4th, with the possibility of two more out this week in Charlie and McKenzie, we aren’t going too bad.

If any Victorian team was going through the same thing, that’s all you’d hear about. I don’t give a stuff about that champion data injury ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The simplest option is for Jonas to take the first option to a play-making half back in space. Burton did not have enough time to get back to shepherd nor would he expect Jonas to plod along out of the goal square.

by the time it becomes apparent Jonas isn’t going to give look at where burton is

What do you expect him to do? Teleport? He’s on the opposite side of Jonas to where buddy is and further away.

Did more than MG who you gave a wrap with similar stats for the night.
Exactly, Im a fan of MG but our supporters have different rules for him and Todd. MG jumps for a specky which he currently misses 9/10 times but people see it as ”potential”. Meanwhile Todd’s putting his body on the line each week building his game and he’s “weak”. Maybe if Todd’s marks were made jumping over the top of packs rather than leading to space the same people who are distracted by bright sparkly things would be more impressed?

reminds me of the dog in “up” ……..SQUIRREL

by the time it becomes apparent Jonas isn’t going to give look at where burton is

What do you expect him to do? Teleport? He’s on the opposite side of Jonas to where buddy is and further away.

Exactly. Burton is 10m away and Buddy near enough has his fingers on Jonas' guernsey. At any time before that moment, if Burton tracks backwards he is doing so directly into the path of Jonas and we'd be talking about what an idiot Burton is for colliding with his team mate.

Frederick has stuff to work on but he just has AFL qualities, I thought earlier in the game when he turned a ball over coming out of back half but didn't make the same mistake a few minutes later was a good sign too. I can see him regularly getting 20 possessions as he gets more experience.

Exactly. Burton is 10m away and Buddy near enough has his fingers on Jonas' guernsey. At any time before that moment, if Burton tracks backwards he is doing so directly into the path of Jonas and we'd be talking about what an idiot Burton is for colliding with his team mate.

What a load of utter nonsense.

What a load of utter nonsense.
Genuinely not sure what vision you're watching. I'm one of TJ's biggest fans but blaming anybody but him for that tackle is laughable. Shepherd or no, he had probably a good four or five seconds to get rid of the ball but had a massive brainfart.

Genuinely not sure what vision you're watching. I'm one of TJ's biggest fans but blaming anybody but him for that tackle is laughable. Shepherd or no, he had probably a good four or five seconds to get rid of the ball but had a massive brainfart.

I blame Buddy for not being a prima donna and making the effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back