Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Hawks mauled by Dogs

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
1. You don’t need a pre-season to learn how to play defensively. It’s pretty basic. Stop watching the footy all the time and worry about the guy you’re supposed to occasionally be defending.
2. Opposition coaches don’t need to “work him out”. They already have. For all his third man up intercept marking Scrim is the easiest player in our back 6 to play through because he has zero opponent awareness.

Every side has this player.

Nick Vlastuin admitted on radio last week that he doesn't play on a man.

Tom Stewart racks up 40 touches because he tells his opponent he has Covid and must stay 1.5m away at all times.

I'm quite confident if we play DGB and Blanck as close-checking talls, Sicily and Scrim as intercept/rebounders, Hardwick as a small lockdown and Jiath as our pure rebound that we'll be getting closer results to Richmond and Geelong in defence currently.
May take a little time however as Blanck, DGB and Jiath are all quite inexperienced.

I really wasn’t upset by the result.

Dogs strength is our constantly noted weakness.

I’m happy with how the forward line and backline is working for the most part.

The way we played in the first quarter was what we’re capable of, but what we need to build into over the next 12 months is holding that form for much longer periods in games and then being able to contest hard in the middle when the opponents start to build their own steam up.

At the moment, our midfield is like paper meche when the opposition takes it up a notch.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The way we played in the first quarter was what we’re capable of, but what we need to build into over the next 12 months is holding that form for much longer periods in games and then being able to contest hard in the middle when the opponents start to build their own steam up.

At the moment, our midfield is like paper meche when the opposition takes it up a notch.
Correct. We can only play that way for 2 quarters max. Then try to hold on.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As I said, he is a good tackler but for me a really poor kick and has zero left side to his game. What can you expect when you grow up kicking a soccer ball around….

Can he make it? I am on the fence. Shows a little glimpse every now and then but I would be prepared to argue would not get a game in many sides.

We have seen he is no forward….
Sometimes I think you're a really insightful poster and someone who has a deeper understanding of our club, but I feel like you've lost me with this. Nash has been in the top 5 field kickers in the side since his move into the middle, and has been really effective at setting up our forays forward.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sometimes I think you're a really insightful poster and someone who has a deeper understanding of our club, but I feel like you've lost me with this. Nash has been in the top 5 field kickers in the side since his move into the middle, and has been really effective at setting up our forays forward.

That’s cool. We all see things differently.

I will give you this, his greatest kick ever was against Port where he hit up Lewis on a lead in the forward pocket.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jack left the Suns because he was homesick (which is fine). To then suggest he isn’t as well developed due to lack of continuity is a cop out. It’s not that hard to watch vision and learn where you’re getting exploited.

He has never played anywhere else on the ground than as a defender since he was 16. That’s 8 years.

I’m not expecting him to be a Lever/Vlastuin/Stewart type as such at 23 but with 6 years and 60 games under his belt (2/3rds of which were losses) you’d like to think he’d have some concept of needing to lock down occasionally during a game when the flood is coming.

Yes, we would all like to have less opposition inside 50s than currently, and that’s primarily on our midfield for leaking like a sieve, but how the back 6 deal with that…..is their problem. You can’t expect an improved midfield to all of a sudden deliver on a silver platter to Jack the improvement he needs can you?

It’s clear to me Jack has a long way to go as a defender who can be relied upon to keep an opponent quiet when the time comes. At least we can agree on that surely.
On the bolded part, gc was a basket case and he only ended up playing 4 games their so I look at him in 2019 as a first year player having relearn how to play again after gc destroying his game.

Only 2020 he had continuity in his game and defensively was better then this year. How do you think you would develop at afl level if you played 4 games in two years with the seconds and training facility being like local footy. 2019 - 10 games, 2020 - 13 games 2021 - 20 games, his improving just defensively it needs to catch up.

He is the least of our worries on the list, keep pumping games into him and he will be fine.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
That’s cool. We all see things differently.

I will give you this, his greatest kick ever was against Port where he hit up Lewis on a lead in the forward pocket.
Go and watch his recent highlights package. Kick to Bruest was so much better. Long kick put in a place to where only Bruest could mark.

One key indicator of a lack of work rate was Scrimshaw's 12 marks for only 208 metres gained. You'd expect some gut running from his team mates should have opened up some space for him.

Some posters may need to revisit their takes on Scrimshaw’s game.

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn​

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
4 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
Do they? I mean Lewis only got a single vote. Not sure what game Mitch and Bevo were watching!

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
His opponent Rhylee West got 7 votes. Scrimshaw played on him the majority of the game and especially in that 2nd qtr

His opponent Rhylee West got 7 votes. Scrimshaw played on him the majority of the game and especially in that 2nd qtr
He was still considered our best player.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)

I think could theoretically could be an 0,4 vote (implying one coach gave him zero), but probably more likely to be 2,2.

I only mention, if we follow Brishawk's reasoning, could Bevo have given him 4 and Sam none? Probably unlikely Bevo gives him 4 in a game they won easily.

ETA, showing work:
Libba 5,5
West 3,4
Scrim 4,0
Bont 2,2
Naught 0,3
Mitch 0,1
Dunk 1.0

I think it's more likely Bevo gave Bont 4 and Sam 0 TBH

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
Shows how little the coaches know.

Chris Donlon, Leigh Haussen, and John Howorth were easily best on for the dogs.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
Well deserved perfect 10 for Libba, he absolutely destroyed us on Friday night.

One big difference I noticed between the doggies midfielders and ours on Friday night was that when they got the ball from a clearance (all too often) they were already moving and sharing the ball by hand (well often by a throw but still).

Whereas on the off chance we got a centre square clearance our mids were more often than not flat footed and already under pressure leading to a hack kick forward.

Its like there is no connection between our mids and they all play an individual game which is weird given they have been playing together for about 5 years now?

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)
Naughton better than Lewis?

10 Tom Liberatore (WB)
7 Rhylee West (WB)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
1 Mitch Lewis (HAW)
1 Josh Dunkley (WB)

Staggered Naughton out voted Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

13 unanswered goals and a 42 point loss is nothing to be content out

it s also a repeat occurrence the concession of unanswered goals

13 unanswered goals and a 42 point loss is nothing to be content out

it s also a repeat occurrence the concession of unanswered goals
It’s the reality of our weakness.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Absolutely, either end of the ground was won by us imo. Just lost the midfield battle, once we start taking control of that we will look like a very good side.

Back